Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on May 12, 2016, 06:40:55 AM
Me too! Of course, ImportCDs is offering it for $45, so I will be buying it no matter what George says, but hey, a guy can be curious  ;D

I may end up buying it too, because I am writing a review of it for publication. Since I already have all the recordings, it would be nice to know if there are any liner notes at all, for example, without having to buy the box to find out. I'll probably end up buying it anyway, in the interest of journalistic integrity...  ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2016, 07:11:46 AM

ADDENDUM:  Now I know that there has been a LOT of praise for Hogwood's efforts, but there are quite a few discs w/ Franz Bruggen (who I like), but what is the age of these recordings and the performances like?  Also, will be curious if any re-mastering was done?

The Brüggen and Hogwood are roughly contemporaneous. At the time, these 2, Goodman and to a lesser extent, the final Pinnock recordings were all in the works: who knew we would have to wait until 2016 for a complete set!?!  ???

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 12, 2016, 05:00:16 AM
Excellent! I would be delighted to hear your impressions, not just of the music, but of the packaging, liner notes, whatever. I'm curious about how well they managed the repackaging.   :)

8)

Sure! Will do, Gurn!

Quote from: Brian on May 12, 2016, 06:40:55 AM
Me too! Of course, ImportCDs is offering it for $45, so I will be buying it no matter what George says, but hey, a guy can be curious  ;D

$45!  >:(

And I thought I was getting a great deal for $65 shipped.  :(
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

SonicMan46

This morning, I put a post in the Myslivecek thread (quoted below) that likely will not be seen by many - since the CD discussed has cello concertos of Papa Joke, just reposting here - I've only done I listen, but really enjoyed!  Dave :)

QuoteHaydn & Myslivecek - Cello Concertos w/ Wendy Warner & Camerata Chicago conducted by Drostan Hall - will add a more extensive review in the Josef Myslivecek thread, the main reason for my purchase -  NOTE: Reposted from listening thread w/ additional information, pics, and reviews (PDF attachment) added - Dave :)

As already shown by Scion7, the remaining options for Myslivecek, especially by himself are few - so today, I received the Wendy Warner (maybe another 'cello babe'?) recording below; the Myslivecek work is a violin concerto arrangement for cello and is sandwiched between two Haydn concertos (C Major & D Major) - the transitions between the works of the two composers is seamless; the sound is superb (24-bit recording).

Warner plays a cello by Pietro Guarneri II, Venice c. 1739 nicknamed the "Beatrice Harrison" after the late British cellist (see the two lower pics); she also uses a period bow by Francois Xavier Tourte, c. 1815 called "De Lamare" (and on extended loan through the Stradivari Society of Chicago).  The recording took place over two days in November, 2012 in College Church, Wheaton, IL.

Attached is a PDF file of two reviews, including a 10/10 rating by David Vernier - cannot agree more w/ his comments - the orchestra consisted of 25 members (21 mixed strings), including 2 oboes & 2 horns.  Highly recommended!

Parsifal

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2016, 07:11:46 AMADDENDUM:  Now I know that there has been a LOT of praise for Hogwood's efforts, but there are quite a few discs w/ Franz Bruggen (who I like), but what is the age of these recordings and the performances like?  Also, will be curious if any re-mastering was done?

I don't know who's praising Hogwood, the recordings seem dreary to me. I'm still rooting for the Hobbit to recover and finish his set. Until then I have Harnoncourt's recordings the the RCO and CMW as well as Davies' complete set to keep me occupied.

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 12, 2016, 05:00:16 AM
Excellent! I would be delighted to hear your impressions, not just of the music, but of the packaging, liner notes, whatever. I'm curious about how well they managed the repackaging.   :)

8)

There is a booklet. 10 pages in English. The rest in other languages. The production date for all symphonies is from the 80s and 90s, (so no remastering?) except for the Dantone readings of 78-81. The CDs are made in Germany, in cardboard sleeves. And the sleeves have all the info about the contents, which is great!

Scion7

ALRIGHTY-THEN!  There've been many movies about various composers over the years, for example:

A Song to Remember (1945) - on Chopin, with George Sand

Song of Love (1947) - on Schumann, with Clara and Brahms and Liszt

Magic Fire (1955) - on Wagner (starring the almighty Peter Cushing, btw)

Song Without End (1960) - on Liszt

Song of Norway (1970) - on Grieg

Amadeus (1984) - on Mozart

Impromptu (1991) - Chopin, Liszt, and their birds

Immortal Beloved (1994) - Beethoven

. . . but if Hollywood or a European studio comes up with a clever story on Franz Josef, what to call it?
All the ^ above titles sort of have a certain pizzazz about them.
But what is there in Papa's life story they could extract and make a profound movie title?
What 'controversial' item about Haydn's life could you see them writing some fanciful script about?
While not quite as "dull" as J.S. Bach's life - he didn't really attract the sturm and drang in his life that Mozart and Beethoven had.
It would be a shame for him not to get a piece of the action.   ;D

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

The dozens of loose ends I was forced to leave in London took a magnum opus to gather together, and that is what I had a go at this week. There is something for everyone, even the makings of Scion's movie!  :D

How Art helped me see England as Haydn did...

Have a look,
Thanks,
8)

Scion7

:)       

Cello Concerto No.1 in C, Hob.VIIb:1
ç1975   Natalia Gutman, 
                      Ensemble of the Academic Symph. Orchestra of Moscow State Philharmonic,
                      cond. Lev Markiz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXKJ3ZfPetE

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 14, 2016, 07:06:21 PM...and that is what I had a go at this week. There is something for everyone, even the makings of Scion's movie!  :D
Have a look,

The Prince of Wales' punch: 1 bottle champagne, 1 bottle Burgundy, 1 bottle rum, 10 lemons, 2 oranges, 1 lbs. of sugar.

??? ...that's punch with a real punch to it  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 15, 2016, 12:10:12 PM
The Prince of Wales' punch: 1 bottle champagne, 1 bottle Burgundy, 1 bottle rum, 10 lemons, 2 oranges, 1 lbs. of sugar.

??? ...that's punch with a real punch to it  ;D

Sarge

Well, I only used a pint when I tried it, but a quart would knock your d*** in the dirt!! :o  :o  It's delicious though!  :)

8)

Scion7

champagne+hard liquor - always guaranteed trouble!   >:D

I think the Gutman is now my favorite version of that concerto.
Maybe because it is new - but she was definitely a great cellist.

Florestan

Haydn´s early years in Vienna, after his dismissal from the St. Stephen´s choir, would make a nice movie, I think. Ditto the disastruous flooding of the Eszterhaza opera house.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on May 16, 2016, 03:13:55 AM
Haydn´s early years in Vienna, after his dismissal from the St. Stephen´s choir, would make a nice movie, I think. Ditto the disastruous flooding of the Eszterhaza opera house.  :D

Flooding would have likely been quite welcome during the fire, though. But yes, it would make a dramatic scene, perhaps not up to Sherman's burning of Atlanta in Gone with the Wind, but for music lovers...

If it was to remain historically accurate, the most interesting aspect seems to be his charmed life. At every crucial turn in his life, he met someone who turned out to be just the person to make things turn out the best for him. I cannot think of any other historical person whose story I know who lived quite as fortunate a life as he did. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on May 13, 2016, 05:47:28 PM
There is a booklet. 10 pages in English. The rest in other languages. The production date for all symphonies is from the 80s and 90s, (so no remastering?) except for the Dantone readings of 78-81. The CDs are made in Germany, in cardboard sleeves. And the sleeves have all the info about the contents, which is great!

Thanks for the info, George. Did you feel like the English page(s) of the booklet were informative to you? Not that it is relevant, but the original Hogwood recordings had the best liner notes I ever got in a CD! I do like the idea of putting the disk info on the sleeve, I wonder why they aren't all like that! Anyway, appreciate the feedback.   :)

8)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 16, 2016, 04:53:56 AM
Thanks for the info, George. Did you feel like the English page(s) of the booklet were informative to you?

My pleasure, Gurn! I was wondering if you saw my post. I almost re-posted it today.

I have been very busy preparing to move in with my girlfriend (I am losing 47 feet of shelf space, so a LOT of tough decisions), thus no time to read right now, sorry!

QuoteNot that it is relevant, but the original Hogwood recordings had the best liner notes I ever got in a CD!

I have learned a lot from the better liner notes out there.

QuoteI do like the idea of putting the disk info on the sleeve, I wonder why they aren't all like that!

I know, right? Would make life easier. Especially on the bigger sets and those which have more than one recording of the same work.

QuoteAnyway, appreciate the feedback.   :)

Again, my pleasure.  :)

Scion7

FORTY-SEVEN FEET?!?!!?!?

Haydn's ghost just said, MEIN GOTT !!!!!    ???

That would be a kat-tat-stro-pee ... I hope you have a good storage facility on or near the premises.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on May 16, 2016, 05:37:57 AM

My pleasure, Gurn! I was wondering if you saw my post. I almost re-posted it today.

I have been very busy preparing to move in with my girlfriend (I am losing 47 feet of shelf space, so a LOT of tough decisions), thus no time to read right now, sorry!

I have learned a lot from the better liner notes out there.

I know, right? Would make life easier. Especially on the bigger sets and those which have more than one recording of the same work.

Again, my pleasure.  :)

Holy crap, that would hold most of my Haydn collection! :o :o  :)

No, but seriously, I couldn't give up that much, even though I don't need it. My big issue is books, I actually have only 55' of CD's, but a few hundred of books.

I have also learned a lot from liner notes, although you have to be careful, some of the people who write them haven't bought a new book in 50 years and so you get some pretty outdated info, but really, you can't do without the good ones!

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on May 16, 2016, 05:37:57 AM

While everyone else is concentrating on the spatial reduction — delighted that things are working out so well with the girlfriend  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 16, 2016, 06:10:14 AM
While everyone else is concentrating on the spatial reduction — delighted that things are working out so well with the girlfriend  :)

Thanks, Karl!

I should say that although I am losing 47 feet of shelf space, my girlfriend was willing to move enough of her stuff out so that I can have 100 feet of CD shelf space - and a separate 6 foot shelf, 12 inches deep, for the bigger box sets.