Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2016, 04:57:30 PM
I don't suppose anyone wants to listen to an interview with Gurn, but in the event you are up for it, this one is pretty good. The interviewer is in Taipei, Taiwan, so we had to talk really loudly, but it worked out well in the end!  :)

Hi Gurn - just listened to your entire interview - well done!  I like the guy who interviewed you - sounded quite American regarding your Taiwan reference above - any further links to parts 2/3?  Thanks for the link - AND, you seem to have a New England accent - ;)  Dave

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2016, 04:57:30 PM
I don't suppose anyone wants to listen to an interview with Gurn, but in the event you are up for it, this one is pretty good. The interviewer is in Taipei, Taiwan, so we had to talk really loudly, but it worked out well in the end!  :)

8)

Your name isn't really Gurn?  :o

SonicMan46

Quote from: Daverz on May 28, 2016, 08:56:22 PM

Dave - LOL! :)  Well, I think we all knew that Gurn Blanston was likely a phony name - ;)  Dave

Daverz

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2016, 09:00:46 PM
Dave - LOL! :)  Well, I think we all knew that Gurn Blanston was likely a phony name - ;)  Dave

And all this time I'm thinking, "Poor bastard, his parents were so cruel, I'll go easy on him..."  Well, now the molley-coddling is over, buster.

George

Now enjoying symphonies 21-24, conducted by Hogwood. Really liking how as you listen through the symphonies you can really hear the composers development in writing for the genre. And I especially love how the symphonies become increasingly more energetic, dramatic and robust as you move forward chronologically. I used to have a hard time with Haydn, always wishing he'd push things further, like Beethoven does. Perhaps it's due to getting older, but I like the more toned down classical style of Haydn now. If I want Beethoven, I always have him. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Florestan

Actually, Gurn stands for Gottlieb Uwe Reinhardt Nepomuk. Ask Gurn himself, if in doubt.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 28, 2016, 08:50:40 PM
Hi Gurn - just listened to your entire interview - well done!  I like the guy who interviewed you - sounded quite American regarding your Taiwan reference above - any further links to parts 2/3?  Thanks for the link - AND, you seem to have a New England accent - ;)  Dave

Thanks, Dave! I think he is planning on releasing the other 2 parts a few weeks apart, judging how he spaced out other podcasts there in the right sidebar of his blog, every 3-4 weeks. I think he spent a good deal of time in Atlanta, thus the accent. I visited New England once, long long ago.... 0:)

No, sorry Dave. My mother calls me Gurn though, if that is any consolation. It is a nom de plume I adopted 35 years ago, far more people know me by that name than my real one, too late to turn back now. :-\

Quote from: Florestan on May 29, 2016, 05:59:13 AM
Actually, Gurn stands for Gottlieb Uwe Reinhardt Nepomuk. Ask Gurn himself, if in doubt. 

Yep, strewth.  ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on May 29, 2016, 05:01:20 AM

Now enjoying symphonies 21-24, conducted by Hogwood. Really liking how as you listen through the symphonies you can really hear the composers development in writing for the genre. And I especially love how the symphonies become increasingly more energetic, dramatic and robust as you move forward chronologically. I used to have a hard time with Haydn, always wishing he'd push things further, like Beethoven does. Perhaps it's due to getting older, but I like the more toned down classical style of Haydn now. If I want Beethoven, I always have him.

That's excellent news, George. That is one of the things I like about the way Hogwood is laid out; they really are in chronological order, so you can do things like that.  I mean, who would have guessed that the actual 1 - 10 order was 1, 37, 18, 2, 4, 27, 10 & 20  ???  It makes so much more sense when you hear 6, 7 & 8 and realize they are really 18, 19 & 20!

And hell yes, there will always be Beethoven!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

fugueforthought

Hi guys! Thought I'd pitch in here and say hello and thanks! I saw some traffic coming from this thread on the blog, so thought I'd come over and check it out. I signed up yesterday regarding the Rene Leibowitz thread in the Composers section.
Gurn Blanston was a wonderful guest, and I very much enjoyed our discussion. Parts two and three will be coming a bit later (part two perhaps in June, part three after that).
As to sounding American, I am American. (Spoiler alert!) Hail from the deep south, been in Taipei about seven years now.
Thanks for the kind words about the podcast. It's a homemade operation, but I'm enjoying it very much, especially with guests like Gurn.

Also, as for that Decca Haydn Cycle on period instruments, any word on it being in iTunes any time soon? Gurn suggested it and I am looking to get my hands on it.
Thx again!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: fugueforthought on May 30, 2016, 03:32:40 AM
Hi guys! Thought I'd pitch in here and say hello and thanks! I saw some traffic coming from this thread on the blog, so thought I'd come over and check it out. I signed up yesterday regarding the Rene Leibowitz thread in the Composers section.
Gurn Blanston was a wonderful guest, and I very much enjoyed our discussion. Parts two and three will be coming a bit later (part two perhaps in June, part three after that).
As to sounding American, I am American. (Spoiler alert!) Hail from the deep south, been in Taipei about seven years now.
Thanks for the kind words about the podcast. It's a homemade operation, but I'm enjoying it very much, especially with guests like Gurn.

Also, as for that Decca Haydn Cycle on period instruments, any word on it being in iTunes any time soon? Gurn suggested it and I am looking to get my hands on it.
Thx again!

Welcome to Da Haus, FFT. Pleasure to have you join us here. Also to hear that you have had some visitors from our little Haydn Empire over to visit you.

Wish I could answer your iTunes question but I don't do downloads much, or anything Apple at all. It would be a surprise if they didn't have it soon, though!  :o

8)

Gurn Blanston

It seems like forever since Haydn hopped on the boat at Calais and headed for Dover! Now, even going home again involves adventures like the crowning of an Emperor, and meetings with the young version of The Grand Mogul and his patron. Oh yes, and music publishers. Always need business! So I took a look at all this even while Haydn was sitting in the parlor with a well-earned moment of putting up his feet and maybe having a pipe. Works for me!

Nice, quiet Vienna!

Thanks,
8)

Wakefield

Quote from: fugueforthought on May 30, 2016, 03:32:40 AM

Hi, FFT! I think you don't need to wait for that complete set to start your listen of the Haydn's symphonies. I have seen available on iTunes at least the first five sets by Hogwood and his gang; therefore, you have a lot of symphonies played on period instruments, to begin your travel as soon as possible. 

P.S.: BTW, that was a nice conversation with our Gurn!  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

fugueforthought

Hello Gordo!
Thank you for the kind words about the podcast. I just asked questions. He's very enjoyable to listen to and chat with, as I'm sure you guys know.
As for the Hogwood in iTunes, I'd rather wait and get the whole box than buy it piecemeal. Music in iTunes here is SO much cheaper (sometimes less than half of the going price online) (even than in American iTunes), but I'm hoping the whole set goes up sometime soon. I have the first few installments of Adam Fischer's traversal since it doesn't appear it will ever be in one big box, but it's not on period instruments. I understand it's a very new release, so perhaps the patience will pay off.

Florestan

Quote from: fugueforthought on May 30, 2016, 03:50:18 PM
I have the first few installments of Adam Fischer's traversal since it doesn't appear it will ever be in one big box

It´s in one big box:

and in one very big box

I concur with the other posters: nice interview!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2016, 11:58:10 PM
It´s in one big box:

and in one very big box

I figure it must not be so on iTunes. Perhaps they lease the Nimbus version, which was, like 3 or 4 disks in a box, IIRC.  :-\  Although I do figure that if you will have modern instruments, Fischer is the one to have. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2016, 05:32:31 PM
Thanks, Gordo. I had a very nice time doing that interview. I may have even made a new Haydnista! :)

8)

Huzzah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

Quote from: fugueforthought on May 30, 2016, 03:50:18 PM
As for the Hogwood in iTunes, I'd rather wait and get the whole box than buy it piecemeal. Music in iTunes here is SO much cheaper (sometimes less than half of the going price online) (even than in American iTunes), but I'm hoping the whole set goes up sometime soon.

Yes, you're right; i was thinking of Apple Music, as a way to listen to the music online because very rarely I purchase music in digital format. But I forgot not everyone is an Apple Music subscriber.  ;D
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

"The Resistance," we are known as  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Wakefield

-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: Florestan on May 30, 2016, 11:58:10 PM
It´s in one big box:

and in one very big box

And also in this big box, along with Barshai's Shostakovitch cycle and a few other gems that make me glad I have it
[asin]B000WM9ZPM[/asin]