Schubert Piano Recordings

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 04:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 14, 2007, 08:53:17 AM
I have the Bohm and like it...

Thanks, now that I hear it again, I agree.

rubio

Quote from: sidoze on June 14, 2007, 07:43:02 AM
Sokolov, mostly for the harrowing slow movement. I have it somewhere and can upload it if you wish.

I heard him play D958 last week but didn't like it much. The finale was too deliberate, a bore after Richter / 58 / M&A

Is the Sokolov D960 to be found in the below box set?

http://www.amazon.com/Grigory-Sokolov-Box-Ludwig-Beethoven/dp/B0000CE7E6/ref=sr_1_1/103-6086389-5715826?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1181842585&sr=1-1

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 07:34:44 AM
Who do folks like for the Unfinished Symphony?

Kleiber? Boehm? Walter? Sinopoli? Wand? Or this one?

I have Boehm, It's nice, but a bit slow, so I want another. 

Szell or Bernstein ought to do the trick. There are two Bernsteins, I haven't heard his later Concergebouw but his earlier SONY is excellent. Bohm is just so boring...

Que

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 07:34:44 AM
Who do folks like for the Unfinished Symphony?

Kleiber? Boehm? Walter? Sinopoli? Wand? Or this one?

I have Boehm, It's nice, but a bit slow, so I want another. 

Böhm is as dry as the sole of an old shoe....

If you're looking for a "traditional" approach - and I guess you do.. ;D
Krips, George, Josef Krips...  8) A real authentic "Viennese" recording.

(Available at UK Amazon)

If you want Kleiber, he is very good too - "dad" Erich Kleiber that is!
But that's an historical recording. Totally different approach btw: "Angst" is the keyword there.

Q

George

Quote from: Que on June 14, 2007, 10:43:05 AM

If you're looking for a "traditional" approach - and I guess you do.. ;D
Krips, George, Josef Krips...  8) A real authentic "Viennese" recording.

(Available at UK Amazon)

If you want Kleiber, he is very good too - "dad" Erich Kleiber that is!
But that's an historical recording. Totally different approach btw: "Angst" is the keyword there.

Q

Thanks, Q.  :)

So what is the keyword with Krips?

orbital

Quote from: rubio on June 14, 2007, 10:30:51 AM
Is the Sokolov D960 to be found in the below box set?

Apparenty so. But J&R has the same boxes for $32

Drasko

Quote from: Que on June 14, 2007, 10:43:05 AM

Then you're listening to the wrong recording. You need late '70s VPO coupled with Dvorak 9th (Japanese DG)

Que

Quote from: George on June 14, 2007, 12:34:36 PM
Thanks, Q.  :)

So what is the keyword with Krips?

"Viennese", but that very hard to describe. I'll try. :-\
It's a Romantic style with a strong focus on rhythmic development (pulse) and a very finely grained, transparent, sophisticated sound. But the sound can be brooding and lush too, but is never comes on strong. It has a certain, irresistible charm.

Better listen to some samples, because I'm sure this can't make any sense! 8)

Q

George

Quote from: Que on June 14, 2007, 01:48:07 PM
"Viennese", but that very hard to describe. I'll try. :-\
It's a Romantic style with a strong focus on rhythmic development (pulse) and a very finely grained, transparent, sophisticated sound. But the sound can be brooding and lush too, but is never comes on strong. It has a certain, irresistible charm.

Better listen to some samples, because I'm sure this can't make any sense! 8)

Q

No, it makes perfect sense.  Thanks.  :)

From the samples I think Kleiber is for me.

mjwal

Holden wrote "There is something magical about Schnabel's Schubert which I find hard to describe and I see him as the true champion of Schubert's piano works which is fitting when you consider that he was the first major pianist to really promote them."
It depends what you mean by major pianist: the 20th century pianist who did most for Schubert was Eduard Erdmann IMO. Though he recorded the sonatas after the war at a time when he was already quite ill & his technique slightly iffy, his interpretation of D.959 in particular remains unsurpassed for me, the spasmodic interruption of the andantino being more shocking than any I know. The slow movement of D.664 even surpasses Richter - unbearably moving. I believe the latter & the late sonatas were available on Tahra at one time - I have them on LP in a German EMI box.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

sidoze

Quote from: mjwal on June 15, 2007, 07:06:08 AM

It depends what you mean by major pianist: the 20th century pianist who did most for Schubert was Eduard Erdmann IMO.

Unfortunately I haven't heard him, and can only recall seeing one CD entitled Piano-Philosopher (or something close to that) and the repertoire didn't appeal to me at all. A pianist friend of mine spoke highly of him though.

For anyone interested, Sokolov's D959:

http://download.yousendit.com/AA548E110A1CE30A

not edward

Quote from: sidoze on June 16, 2007, 08:11:31 AM
Unfortunately I haven't heard him, and can only recall seeing one CD entitled Piano-Philosopher (or something close to that) and the repertoire didn't appeal to me at all. A pianist friend of mine spoke highly of him though.

Thanks. A remarkable performance of the slow movement, as you said. I'll give this one a few listens to digest it fully.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

George

Quote from: sidoze on June 16, 2007, 08:11:31 AM

Thanks Tony!

Sean

I just ordered his set- I know Kempff mostly from a few Beethoven sonatas, rather austere but subtle and rewarding. I haven't heard his Schubert yet...

Michel

I have this and find it a bit mundane, to be truthful. Part of the problem is, I think, Schubert's inferiority on the piano when compared with Beethoven, but part of it, to be sure, is also Kempff's stature and very focused , upright, archetypal german playing that does not excite in Schubert as it does Beethoven.

dtwilbanks

I own it and I like what I've heard.

Sean

Harry

Kempff is a very sensitive musician in this repertoire, and I heartily reccommend his recordings.

prémont

Kempffs playing is smooth and lyrical. Very beautiful, but I really think his interpretation makes a somewhat static or almost dull impression, and that too little is happening in these often very long movements of Schubert´s sonatas. So even if I got the set a year ago or so, I haven´t listened to more than 1/4 of it.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Michel

Quote from: Harry on August 22, 2007, 10:30:39 AM
Kempff is a very sensitive musician in this repertoire, and I heartily reccommend his recordings.

Doesn't tell us anything.