How Many CD's do you own?

Started by Michel, April 25, 2007, 07:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Greta on May 05, 2007, 08:58:23 PM
;D The solo pianist stuff is kind of overwhelming! There's so much and so many fine pianists, where to begin?

For that leap of faith into the solo piano literature, one could do worse than these two sets:

:)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

George

Quote from: donwyn on May 05, 2007, 09:50:22 PM
For that leap of faith into the solo piano literature, one could do worse than these two sets:
:)

Seconded. I'd add Ashkenazy's Chopin box on Decca.

Don, will you be visiting the Identify your avatar thread soon? I am curious....

Greta

Thanks for the recs, Prokofiev, Beethoven and Chopin, I like those guys! ;)

I know this is so off-topic, but what about good 20th century composers' piano works? :D I think that's something I'd really be interested in. Especially contemporary classical is great.

Novi

Quote from: Greta on May 06, 2007, 07:18:23 AM
Thanks for the recs, Prokofiev, Beethoven and Chopin, I like those guys! ;)

I know this is so off-topic, but what about good 20th century composers' piano works? :D I think that's something I'd really be interested in. Especially contemporary classical is great.

Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues - I particularly like the op. 87 ones
Ligeti Etudes

This is a good selection too:

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on May 06, 2007, 06:08:21 AM
Don, will you be visiting the Identify your avatar thread soon? I am curious....

Gotcha!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Greta on May 06, 2007, 07:18:23 AM

Sounds like a good idea for a new thread!

71 dB

I have been calculating my CDs today. The results for indivudial discs (a boxset = many CDs):

Classical CDs: 877
Non-classical CDs: 495
Total: 1372
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Kuhlau

I've no doubt addressed this before under a different identity, but I can't be bothered to count them again to get an accurate figure. So I'll say over 2,000 ... which is a conservative estimate.

FK

Brian

I don't have any idea how many CDs I have, but my iTunes library says I have 5717 individual tracks, totalling up to 25 days and 5 hours of music. I have 906 albums, but this is misleading, as I will often divide CDs into separate albums (for instance, creating individual albums for each symphony, concerto or sonata).

Lilas Pastia

This is increasingly difficult to esimate. I normally put everything onto cd fomat (no internet files for me :P....

Between 2000 and 2500 cd-length items.

Dundonnell

2508 Classical CDs catalogued plus a number of uncatalogued free cds which came with music magazines.

mn dave

Quote from: Brian on November 08, 2008, 03:12:23 PM
I don't have any idea how many CDs I have, but my iTunes library says I have 5717 individual tracks, totalling up to 25 days and 5 hours of music. I have 906 albums, but this is misleading, as I will often divide CDs into separate albums (for instance, creating individual albums for each symphony, concerto or sonata).

7,613 tracks.

The new erato

Quote from: mn dave on November 09, 2008, 05:45:04 AM
7,613 tracks.
Tracks is a difficult concept.  I guess I own more than a thousand song performances by Schubert alone, each a separate track. At least a CD count gives an approximation of playing time.

mn dave

Quote from: erato on November 09, 2008, 05:50:27 AM
Tracks is a difficult concept.  I guess I own more than a thousand song performances by Schubert alone, each a separate track. At least a CD count gives an approximation of playing time.

Playing time: 63.2 days

Which, I guess would be around 1,400 CDs. That's only classical though.

The new erato

Quote from: mn dave on November 09, 2008, 05:54:17 AM
Playing time: 63.2 days
about 1700 CDs then - assuming 70 mins pr disc.

mn dave

Quote from: erato on November 09, 2008, 06:10:10 AM
about 1700 CDs then - assuming 70 mins pr disc.

Or that.  ;D

[Edit: I made a mistake. The 63.2 days is my whole collection. Classical is only 26 days of listening. ONLY 26 days. Ha.]

Gurn Blanston

I only have classical, so no need to divide up my tracks.  0:)

24,499tracks - 89 days, 13 hours, 21 min.   165.24 gigs.

I haven't ripped all my CD's though, I often don't rip things where I have multiple performances, maybe just my 2 or 3 favorites. So that probably balances out the great number of things that I've downloaded. Or maybe not, it is so hard to estimate. :-\

8)

----------------
Listening to:
9ths Fricsay -  Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Ferenc Fricsay - LvB Op 125 Symphony #9 in d 5th mvmt
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mn dave

For every classical CD I own, I've probably gotten rid of two or three.

Bunny

I don't know how many cds I own!  I also don't know how many tracks because I've ripped things in one format and then re-ripped with decreasing amounts of compression.  I do know that I can fill up my 60 gig ipod too easily so I'll bet I have lots and lots and lots and lots... 

Come to think of it, I'd rather not know how many cds and LPs in my collection.  I would find it too intimidating to buy something new if the number were too large.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bunny on November 09, 2008, 06:59:53 AM
I don't know how many cds I own!  I also don't know how many tracks because I've ripped things in one format and then re-ripped with decreasing amounts of compression.  I do know that I can fill up my 60 gig ipod too easily so I'll bet I have lots and lots and lots and lots... 

Come to think of it, I'd rather not know how many cds and LPs in my collection.  I would find it too intimidating to buy something new if the number were too large.

I just have an 8 gig flash player, and filling it up (choosing what to put on it) is a chore sometimes. I can't imagine doing it with 60 gigs. I guess I would just go random.

WinAMP tells you exactly how much music you have, thus my easy placing of numbers there. Something else I wouldn't have bothered with if I had to cipher it all out... :)

8)

----------------
Listening to:
Berlin PO / Jansons  -  Leif Ove Andsnes - Grieg Concerto in a for Piano Op 16 1st mvmt - Allegro molto moderato
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)