Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDL

Quote from: Dundonnell on June 06, 2009, 10:00:46 AM
It is nice to know that the Danacord performances rate so well. Saves me from the very considerable expense of investing in the Da Capo :)

The Nielsen DRSO Da Capo recordings have recently been reissued by Naxos, not so long after their initial full-price release, albeit individually, rather than in a box. Perhaps the same fate will befall the Langgaard set. I'm holding off, just in case!

Lethevich

Interesting to compare this performance of the 15th to the Stupel recording. This one is far more modern in feel, terse, jabbing brass where in the Stupel it brays atmospherically. Very different experiences which are underlined by DaCapo's very clean recorded sound - Stupel offering a Romantic single indexed movement tone picture, Dausgaard offering an analytical take, which the CD helpfully divides into sections. There is no such need for that in the Stupel - the washes of sound are intoxicating and structure is irrelevent. These differences are perhaps strongest during the section for the orchestra immediately prior to the choir's entry - in the Stupel it flows with cumulative energy, in the Dausgaard it stutters. Both fit very well with the image of a stormy sea, but at the moment I marginally prefer Stupel.

Edit: I just realised how much there is for me to look forward to in symphonies 2-6 by Dausgaard. I found these works on the most part to be slightly too wooly to fully enjoy in the Stupel recordings
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

The new erato

Quote from: Lethe on November 09, 2009, 04:36:36 AM

Interesting to compare this performance of the 15th to the Stupel recording. This one is far more modern in feel, terse, jabbing brass where in the Stupel it brays atmospherically. Very different experiences which are underlined by DaCapo's very clean recorded sound - Stupel offering a Romantic single indexed movement tone picture, Dausgaard offering an analytical take, which the CD helpfully divides into sections. There is no such need for that in the Stupel - the washes of sound are intoxicating and structure is irrelevent. These differences are perhaps strongest during the section for the orchestra immediately prior to the choir's entry - in the Stupel it flows with cumulative energy, in the Dausgaard it stutters. Both fit very well with the image of a stormy sea, but at the moment I marginally prefer Stupel.

Edit: I just realised how much there is for me to look forward to in symphonies 2-6 by Dausgaard. I found these works on the most part to be slightly too wooly to fully enjoy in the Stupel recordings
I actually played the 2-3 disc last night and were very impressed by the magnificent sound quality.

Lethevich

Quote from: erato on November 09, 2009, 05:35:38 AM
I actually played the 2-3 disc last night and were very impressed by the magnificent sound quality.

Indeedie - it adds a new perspective to the works, crystal clear compared to the fine but very differently produced sound of the Stupel. The two cycles compliment each other to quite an amazing degree, really.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe on November 09, 2009, 05:48:47 AM
Indeedie - it adds a new perspective to the works, crystal clear compared to the fine but very differently produced sound of the Stupel. The two cycles compliment each other to quite an amazing degree, really.

It's been a few months since I last listened and only for the first time, but in a certain sense Stupel and Dausgaard cannot be compared in the 2nd and 3rd, as they use different versions. So they complement each other in that respect, too. Dausgaard has the better sound and a fresh approach. But I still prefer(ed) Stupel in both works, because 1) his version of the 2nd is the superior one, in my opinion (though the Dausgaard hears Langgaard suddenly straying in Music of the Spheres territory (iirc)!) and 2) the pianist in the 3rd is better.

Now listening to Messis - wonderful work!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

CRCulver

Dacapo has announced a new recording of Music of the Spheres in hybrid SACD (all that distant orchestra goodness in full surround sound), which will appear in August just in time for the Danish National Symphony Orchestra's performance of the piece at the Proms.

MDL

Quote from: CRCulver on April 27, 2010, 10:17:18 PM
Dacapo has announced a new recording of Music of the Spheres in hybrid SACD (all that distant orchestra goodness in full surround sound), which will appear in August just in time for the Danish National Symphony Orchestra's performance of the piece at the Proms.

You beat me to it; I read this in Gramophone a few days ago. Apparently, the
CD will also include The End of Time. Fab! Two out of my three fave RL scores on one CD.

Vladimir

Quote from: MDL on June 29, 2010, 11:35:52 AM
You beat me to it; I read this in Gramophone a few days ago. Apparently, the
CD will also include The End of Time. Fab! Two out of my three fave RL scores on one CD.
And what is the third one?

MDL

Quote from: Vladimir on July 25, 2010, 09:36:43 AM
And what is the third one?

Symphony No.4. I've got the Jarvi/DNRSO recording. It's the only one I've heard, so I don't know how it compares to the (somewhat limited) competition.

vandermolen

Quote from: MDL on July 25, 2010, 02:35:27 PM
Symphony No.4. I've got the Jarvi/DNRSO recording. It's the only one I've heard, so I don't know how it compares to the (somewhat limited) competition.

I think that the Jarvi Chandos CD with symphonies 4-6 on is the best Langgaard CD and the best introduction to his music.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on July 25, 2010, 02:45:55 PM
I think that the Jarvi Chandos CD with symphonies 4-6 on is the best Langgaard CD and the best introduction to his music.
The first Langgaard CD I bought and one whose qualities I've touted on other forums. I've since bought nearly all the Dausgaards discs as they appeared but never felt the need for duplicating these symphonies, which I guess proves a point. And really - most of the symphonies for me seems more interesting than really successfull. I guess for anybody not obesessive this Chandos disc will bring the essential" Langgaard (if you really can abstract any essence from an oeuvre so rambling and disrupted).

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on July 25, 2010, 10:20:59 PM
The first Langgaard CD I bought and one whose qualities I've touted on other forums. I've since bought nearly all the Dausgaards discs as they appeared but never felt the need for duplicating these symphonies, which I guess proves a point. And really - most of the symphonies for me seems more interesting than really successfull. I guess for anybody not obesessive this Chandos disc will bring the essential" Langgaard (if you really can abstract any essence from an oeuvre so rambling and disrupted).

Yes, I agree with this - although there is a Dacapo set with symphonies 4,6, 10 and Music of the Spheres which would also be an excellent Langgaard introduction or sole representative of his work in a collection.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

I'm in something of a once-bitten-twice-shy state where Järvi is concerned . . . he recorded a boatload of Chandos discs in a hurry for the Prokofiev centenary, and some of it has a phoned-in quality.  So I don't find myself eager to seek this disc out, especially as I am so pleased with the Dausgaard set.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 27, 2010, 01:37:15 AM
Yes, I agree with this - although there is a Dacapo set with symphonies 4,6, 10 and Music of the Spheres which would also be an excellent Langgaard introduction or sole representative of his work in a collection.

That is a wonderful two-fer.  I do not mind the duplication there at all, at all.

Vladimir

BTW Dausgaard uses the newly established critical edition of Langgaard oeuvre. Järvi conducted the works using the scores with numerous mistakes even in tempi, e.g. Comodo sempre vs Sempre con moto etc. Version comparison of the performed works are often in favour of Dausgaard and once he has recorded the 5th in two versions. But Järvi was the first foreign (or non-Danish) conductor of such degree who started conducting and recording Langgaard.

vandermolen

Music of the Spheres is being performed at the Proms this year.

Mirror Image

I was turned onto by Langgaard simply by accident. I was looking through Da Capo's catalog one day and ran across Dausgaard's set of the symphonies. At the time, I was looking at it, the set wasn't released yet, so I had to wait many months before I got to buy the box. The wait was, indeed, worth it. I knew as soon as I heard Symphony No. 1 that I was going to be in for some interesting music.

I think anyone interested in Danish classical music will eventually come across Langgaard's name. Hopefully, the person who discovers him will take that risk in buy this set. Langgaard is a hell of a composer.

CRCulver

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2010, 12:00:24 PM
I think anyone interested in Danish classical music will eventually come across Langgaard's name. Hopefully, the person who discovers him will take that risk in buy this set. Langgaard is a hell of a composer.

I can't recommend Langgaard so broadly. I discovered his work through Music of the Spheres, which I love, but most of his oeuvre doesn't appeal to me all that much. I've heard the same from many other listeners in various fora. Hopefully people will hear something representative of Norgard before they decide to splurge on that big, expensive Dacapo set.

Mirror Image

Quote from: CRCulver on July 30, 2010, 12:43:34 PM
I can't recommend Langgaard so broadly. I discovered his work through Music of the Spheres, which I love, but most of his oeuvre doesn't appeal to me all that much. I've heard the same from many other listeners in various fora. Hopefully people will hear something representative of Norgard before they decide to splurge on that big, expensive Dacapo set.

I actually got the Dacapo set quite cheap (around $30). I can certainly understand why many would not like him, but then again, it always comes down to personal subjectivity in the end.

Music of the Spheres is an interesting work for it's very modern outlook, but it's far from one of my favorite Langgaard works.

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on July 25, 2010, 02:45:55 PM

I found this one quite cheap, excepts sound good, and it seems like a good introduction to Langaarrd's music.  Thanks.