Langgaard's Lyre

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on June 18, 2015, 04:02:14 AM
I have not!  But I have really enjoyed one of the string quartet discs . . . well enough, that fetching in the rest will be a matter of time . . . .

What little I've heard from those new SQ recordings, they sound quite nice. Might pick them up myself (even though I'm not a particularly big fan of this instrumentation as I prefer a PQ or PQnt).

Mirror Image

I find it ridiculous that Stupel's traversal of the symphonies hasn't been boxed up yet. Not that I'm in dire need of another set as Dausgaard's performances are tremendous. It just would be nice to hear a different take on these works.

Karl Henning

The Sinfonia interna I am finding a touchingly beautiful work.  It is not merely the old-fashioned-even-for-its-day musical language (face it:  my ear is wilfully picky when it comes to lesser-known late Romantics, or retro-Romantics).  The simplicity of the writing, the "guile-less art," the ease of manner . . . I am enchanted anew with Langgaard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2016, 04:15:30 AM
The Sinfonia interna I am finding a touchingly beautiful work.  It is not merely the old-fashioned-even-for-its-day musical language (face it:  my ear is wilfully picky when it comes to lesser-known late Romantics, or retro-Romantics).  The simplicity of the writing, the "guile-less art," the ease of manner . . . I am enchanted anew with Langgaard.
I must look out for this work Karl.
Do you know the Chandos CD with symphonies 4-6 on? My favourite Langgaard CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2016, 04:35:38 AM
I must look out for this work Karl.
Do you know the Chandos CD with symphonies 4-6 on? My favourite Langgaard CD.

I do not, Jeffrey;  so I have not heard Järvi conduct Langgaard . . . worth giving it a try, thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

cilgwyn

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2016, 04:15:30 AM
I totally concur with that. There is some ravishingly beautiful music in that. The way he uses the voices is marvellous. Yes,the inspiration is a little uneven in places,but who cares,when the good bits are that good! As Mae West said..........anyway ;D ;D. Superb performances. Wonderful singing. One of my favourite Langgaard cds;and a must for anyone curious about late romantically inclined musical byways! Absolutely enchanting......yes! Yes!! :) :)

vandermolen

Right, I've just ordered 'Sinfonia Interna' for £5.00 on Amazon UK.
Here is my favourite Langgaard CD:
[asin]B000000APJ[/asin]
It's dirt cheap, second hand, on the American Amazon site.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2016, 06:22:29 AM
[asin]B000000APJ[/asin]

I saw that, and I should have a copy on Saturday, $4.75 total.  That will make a pleasant occasion of revisiting the Dausgaard symphonies box, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

I went through several Langgard symphonies a good number of years ago: right now I am hearing the Sinfonia Interna: very nice song-symphony!  The third movement is most impressive!

And did I hear an echo of the Pachelbel Canon in the last minute of the Second Movement?  ;)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on August 25, 2016, 06:22:29 AM
[asin]B000000APJ[/asin]
I think it's my favourite too! The Sinfonia Interna is not far behind!! I also like the Dacapo cd of the Fourth and Versions i & ii,of the Fifth. I play that one after listening to the Chandos recordings of 4-6;so it's probably my second favourite Langgaard cd.
I love the Fifteenth with that baritone solo. The whole piece is so wild and strange. I find some of the music quite exciting.

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on August 25, 2016, 06:31:56 AM
I saw that, and I should have a copy on Saturday, $4.75 total.  That will make a pleasant occasion of revisiting the Dausgaard symphonies box, too!
Let us know what you think Karl.

cilgwyn

I've got the 'Sinfonia Internal' at the ready here!! I'm still trying to fathom Rufinatscha at the moment! Say what you like about his music......what a name!!! ???
Can't see allot of enthusiasm for Langgaard's Fifteenth here. A favourite of mine. Surely one of his most original creations. It's jam packed with great ideas,and so d*** wierd! The story behind it is similarly great. Thought up by Langgaard's on one of his nocturnal walks;he began sketching it out at four in the morning,when it was nice and quiet (lsensible chap) and finished the sketch at Seven the same morning! (Wonder what time he got up in the morning? IF he got up?!!) "In a preface to the symphony" he compares Ribe to Bruges". Bruges is the city described by George Rodenbach in his novel 'Bruges-la-morte' (which I've read,of course! ;D) which was a source of inspiration for Langgaard,and also for Korngold's 'Die Tote Stadt'. Rued Langgaard compares the experience of Ribe's mean,downtown,nocturnal streets to the legend of 'Orpheus and Euydice'. Feeling like Orpheus " rushing into the stormy night to visit the vanished Eurydice,but finding only "dead Ribe" The street lamps of Ribe signifying the "shades of the underworld","flickering strettlights and the sound of the cathedral......". In fact,just like where I live at four in the morning!  But with loads of empty pint glasses,WKD bottles,pools of vomit and half empty fast food cartons,and no cathedral. Even the lightings the same! In fact,any more cuts and it could have the same low ambient lighting as Hades. The punch ups on the way home certainly belong there!! Nothing like a friendly,"Wot are you looking at mate?' when you're on the way home from your nightly tipple!!

Christo

Quote from: Cato on August 25, 2016, 06:53:02 AMAnd did I hear an echo of the Pachelbel Canon in the last minute of the Second Movement?  ;)
Oh no, not again ....
https://www.youtube.com/v/JdxkVQy7QLM
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

jlaurson

Checking into this thread, as a bit of a Langgaard-head, myself.

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 25, 2016, 11:55:05 PM
I've got the 'Sinfonia Internal' at the ready here!! I'm still trying to fathom Rufinatscha at the moment! Say what you like about his music......what a name!!! ???
Can't see allot of enthusiasm for Langgaard's Fifteenth here. A favourite of mine. Surely one of his most original creations. It's jam packed with great ideas,and so d*** wierd! The story behind it is similarly great. Thought up by Langgaard's on one of his nocturnal walks;he began sketching it out at four in the morning,when it was nice and quiet (lsensible chap) and finished the sketch at Seven the same morning! (Wonder what time he got up in the morning? IF he got up?!!) "In a preface to the symphony" he compares Ribe to Bruges". Bruges is the city described by George Rodenbach in his novel 'Bruges-la-morte' (which I've read,of course! ;D ) which was a source of inspiration for Langgaard,and also for Korngold's 'Die Tote Stadt'. Rued Langgaard compares the experience of Ribe's mean,downtown,nocturnal streets to the legend of 'Orpheus and Euydice'. Feeling like Orpheus " rushing into the stormy night to visit the vanished Eurydice,but finding only "dead Ribe" The street lamps of Ribe signifying the "shades of the underworld","flickering strettlights and the sound of the cathedral......". In fact,just like where I live at four in the morning!  But with loads of empty pint glasses,WKD bottles,pools of vomit and half empty fast food cartons,and no cathedral. Even the lightings the same! In fact,any more cuts and it could have the same low ambient lighting as Hades. The punch ups on the way home certainly belong there!! Nothing like a friendly,"Wot are you looking at mate?' when you're on the way home from your nightly tipple!!

All right! It is time I revisited the Fifteenth;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

J.Z. Herrenberg

Nice to see my dear Rued getting some GMG love. As for the Fifteenth, the first movement is terrific, one of Langgaard's most dramatic. The second one, setting a poem for chorus, isn't one of his most successful, in my opinion. Re the Järvi 4-6, I recommend it also. Great performances.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2016, 01:21:47 AMOT
Very funny:
'They're all called Johan'   8)

Even more OT, please don't be so Rued; what he actually says is: "they're all named Johann", with double n. We're very different of course.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Christo on August 26, 2016, 01:45:09 AM
Even more OT, please don't be so Rued; what he actually says is: "they're all named Johann", with double n. We're very different of course.  :)

Yep.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Yes,there was a broad hint,there! Well,in terms of the amount of words used,anyway! ::) ;D
I'm trying to sell one of Langgaard's less 'popular' symphonies here.Johann!! ;D Actually,I do agree that the work is uneven,but there's allot of terrific music there that does stay in the mind. To my ,mind,despite the longeurs,there's still more good than bad.  And the root of the inspiration really appeals to me. I used to love going out walking in the countryside at 3.30 am. There's just something about it! Apart from the fact that it's dark,ofcourse! I was interested in filming wild animals at the time. The problem was,they only seemed to appear whenever I put the camcorder back in the bag! Also,the police stopped me one morning. They were very interested in the equipment I was carrying in my rucksack. Particularly the bat detector! For some reason they seemed to think I was a burglar!! ("And no,officer,I DON'T have a bat phone. Everyone a comedian,eh?!!)
I wonder if Rued ever got stopped during one of his nightly walks?!!
Of course,Symphonies 4-6 are Langgaard are another matter. They are quite simply the composer at his very best! I think most people are in agreement about that! The aforementioned Chandos cd is the one I usually put on first.

I will be putting up a very long winded post in praise of his third symphony next (another favourite).......so look out!!

Incidentally,I think I'm more Ruth than Rued! Particularly when it comes to arguments! (Where's my rolling pin?!!)