Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 09, 2011, 10:06:10 AM
Do we have to stick with music in this thread? If not, then checkout this Christmas gift....

That's a mighty fine cycle, Greg. Will you be driving it to work or is it merely for recreation?  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2011, 09:25:17 AM
Well, I went to F.Y.E. with an eye to picking up some Bach. However, where through yesterday the store was having a Renovation Sale (30% off everything on the fourth and fifth floors, incl. classical music), now they're running a Liquidation Sale, 20%-50% everything in the store.  Curiously, the result is that items in the classical music department which I might have bought at 30% off yesterday, are marked down only 20% to-day.

You can console yourself with the knowledge that although you bore the sacrifice, you talked me into getting it (see the main Purchases thread).

But Liquidation sale doesn't sound good at all....

Meanwhile--a co-worker of mine is leaving--he's in the last year of college and taking a paying internship--so I decided I had better seize the chance to introduce him to civilization.

http://www.speyburn.com/whisky-speyburn-10yo.php

It's not actually one I'm familiar with, but it's inexpensive enough to fit into my budget, and also inexpensive enough that no one need mourn overmuch if he turns out not to like it, although the internet commentry seems rather favorable. (Although I paid less in dollars than the distillery prices it in GBP.)

Mirror Image

Just bought this PS3 game:

[asin]B004EQCCI4[/asin]

It retails for $59.99 and Amazon had for $44.99 with free shipping so I couldn't pass that up. This game was on my to-buy-list anyway.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2011, 12:53:50 PM
That's a mighty fine cycle, Greg. Will you be driving it to work or is it merely for recreation?  ;D

Sarge

I guess I should have specified. Although I would love to ride this, it's for my 2 year-old son, but I'm sure at some point I'll have the urge to relive my youth and attempt to fit into it.  ;D

Conor71

Added these albums to my Libraray this weekend :):

Sergeant Rock

Thanks to George I've discovered Francois Hardy. This box arrived today:

It includes her first five albums in French and her first album in English. Each CD is in a reproduction of the original LP sleeve.

Sarge

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 12, 2011, 01:40:20 AM
Thanks to George I've discovered Francois Hardy.

Just discovered, wow! I would have thought you had life-sized poster of her on the wall for last 40 years or something. She was(is) ridiculously beautiful, and a fine singer too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/IQGNpRnFNgM

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on December 12, 2011, 02:26:38 AM
Just discovered, wow! I would have thought you had life-sized poster of her on the wall for last 40 years or something. She was(is) ridiculously beautiful, and a fine singer too.

Yeah, it's strange I overlooked her for so long especially since I spent much time in France when I was young and incredibly good looking  ;D  I first noticed her as an actress actually...just a few months ago when I saw What's New, Pussycat for the first time (I should have seen it in 1966 but my then girlfriend refused to go with me--we went to a dance instead  >:(  )  She has a very small part in Pussycat, uncredited, but she really stands out.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on December 12, 2011, 02:26:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/IQGNpRnFNgM

Damn...I can't watch it:

"Unfortunately, this SME-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights"

That happens more often than not. I need to learn how to use proxy servers  >:D

Sarge

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 12, 2011, 03:05:44 AM
Damn...I can't watch it:

"Unfortunately, this SME-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights"

That happens more often than not. I need to learn how to use proxy servers  >:D

Sarge

Try one of these:

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/18944/1/

http://www.wat.tv/video/mon-amie-rose-francoise-hardy-2nnh1_2ey7h_.html

If neither works for you, go proxy, it's worth it.

Sergeant Rock

Sergeant Rock

I decided to expand my Francois Hardy collection beyond 1966: Ma jeunesse fout le camp (1967), Comment te dire adieu (1968), La Question (1971) and The Vogue Years, a two disc compilation.

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 16, 2011, 01:26:16 AM
I decided to expand my Francois Hardy collection beyond 1966: Ma jeunesse fout le camp (1967), Comment te dire adieu (1968), La Question (1971) and The Vogue Years, a two disc compilation.
Sarge

Glad to see you've taken a shine to Hardy.  :)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on December 16, 2011, 01:34:38 AM
Glad to see you've taken a shine to Hardy.  :)

Yeah, in a big way  8)

Sarge

Papy Oli

Sarge,

For Francoise Hardy, I can recommend a more "recent" album called "Le Danger" from 1996. Good tunes on this one.

[asin]B0000070QB[/asin]

samples here
Olivier

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 16, 2011, 01:51:29 AM
Sarge,
For Francoise Hardy, I can recommend a more "recent" album called "Le Danger" from 1996. Good tunes on this one

Thanks, Papy, I'll check it out.

Sarge

Conor71

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on December 17, 2011, 07:55:35 PM

Ah, Atom Heart Mother. I haven't heard this one is years. What are your favorite Floyd albums, Conor? Mine would be (in no particular order): Animals, Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Darkside of the Moon, and, of the post-Waters years, A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

Conor71

My favourite PF albums would be The Wall, The Final Cut and Dark Side Of The Moon - I like pretty much all their stuff though from the Syd Barrett era right through to their work without Waters.
I've slowly been collecting all their albums over the last 10 or so years - Im looking forward to hearing this new one and should give it a spin later today! :)

George

Quote from: Conor71 on December 17, 2011, 09:07:43 PM
My favourite PF albums would be The Wall, The Final Cut and Dark Side Of The Moon - I like pretty much all their stuff though from the Syd Barrett era right through to their work without Waters.
I've slowly been collecting all their albums over the last 10 or so years - Im looking forward to hearing this new one and should give it a spin later today! :)

Pink Floyd is great, as is that New Order CD. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure