Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I'm in prog heaven (part II) -

Just bought:

I do like these two Jethro Tull albums a lot as well. Both are sets are 40th Anniversary Editions and contain both new stereo remixes and 5.1 surround sound mixes done by Steven Wilson.

Pat B

Quote from: Conor71 on July 05, 2014, 11:06:57 PM
Yes, there is a lot of praise for this album on the net and I was surprised at not liking it as much as other people. Im glad im not the only one who was a bit disappointed - I did think it trotted out just about every indie cliché in the book, maybe that's why some people like it a lot?

It was recorded in 1997. If any of it is clichéd, that is because so many other musicians have been influenced by it, or mimicked it outright. Give it a couple more listens. I think it is still a great album.

Since you mentioned Animal Collective: have you heard Person Pitch by Panda Bear?

Night Vision

Quote from: Pat B on July 06, 2014, 11:36:52 AM
It was recorded in 1997. If any of it is clichéd, that is because so many other musicians have been influenced by it, or mimicked it outright. Give it a couple more listens. I think it is still a great album.

Since you mentioned Animal Collective: have you heard Person Pitch by Panda Bear?

The whole lo-fi indie thing has been around for a long time with groups such as The Vaselines, Beat Happening and Sebadoh making recordings in this style prior to 1997 so I don't think the Neutral Milk Hotel release is that original in its approach. Acts like the Decemberists released albums after The Aeroplane over the Sea was recorded so could have been influenced by them for sure. I do admit that I was thinking particularly of the Decemberists when I heard TAOTS.
I did like some of the tracks so I will definitely give it another chance(s) - it wouldn't be the first time I have grown to like something after having mixed feelings about it.
I haven't heard anything by Panda Bear - thanks for the recommendation I will check them out! :)

Night Vision

Got these 2 today :):

I don't have that many Flaming Lips albums in my collection so thinking of collecting some more - they have so many!  :o

NJ Joe

Quote from: Conor71 on July 05, 2014, 10:16:34 PM
I downloaded a few albums today:

I listened to the Animals Collectives Strawberry Jam already - I hadn't heard anything from this band before and I really enjoyed it as it was very imaginative and unusual.
I listened to the Aeroplane over the Sea and Everything Is by Neutral Milk Hotel as well - I liked the Everything is EP but found the Aeroplane.. album a bit hackneyed and morbid. It was only a first listen of all these albums today so no doubt my opinion will chage over time. There have been occasions when I have disliked music on first listen and then came to enjoy it later :).

I like these two a lot. I'm guessing Aeroplane will grow on you.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Still in prog heaven...

Just bought:

I don't own this album at all but since I had already bought all the other Steven Wilson remixes, I figured I would go ahead and buy this one. Many Tull fans love this album. The audio samples certainly sounded nice.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2014, 07:52:10 AM
I'm in prog heaven...

Just bought -

Definitive Edition with Blu-Ray with 5.1 surround sound mix plus new stereo remix all done by Steven Wilson.

I'm not a huge Tull fan, but A Passion Play is my favorite album from them and this new expanded edition looks mighty interesting.

My favorite ELP album and this 40th Anniversary Edition features a new stereo remix and a 5.1 surround sound mix all done by Steven Wilson.

Great choices, MI! I already own the Yes, and I ordered the Passion Play set this past weekend.  I've owned the Chateau D'Herouville sessions in different forms for many years, and they contain some top-notch Tull.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2014, 06:33:45 PM
Still in prog heaven...

Just bought:

I don't own this album at all but since I had already bought all the other Steven Wilson remixes, I figured I would go ahead and buy this one. Many Tull fans love this album. The audio samples certainly sounded nice.

A fine choice. Benefit is not in the same vein as TAAB or PP, but it is nonetheless one of my very favorite Tull albums.
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on July 06, 2014, 06:34:25 PM
Great choices, MI! I already own the Yes, and I ordered the Passion Play set this past weekend.  I've owned the Chateau D'Herouville sessions in different forms for many years, and they contain some top-notch Tull.

Thanks, Joe. Yeah, the Chateau D'Herouville Sessions will be completely new to me, so I definitely look forward to listening to that. Looking forward to hearing Benefit as well.

Night Vision

Got a couple more Animal Collective recordings today:

Octave

Taraf de Haïdouks: HONOURABLE BRIGANDS, MAGIC HORSES AND EVIL EYE (Crammed, ~1994)

[asin]B000002GFT[/asin]
Fairport Convention: LIEGE & LIEF (1969)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Night Vision

A quiet week - only 3 albums bought :):

Mirror Image

Bought these earlier in the week just didn't post them until now:

Sony BDP-s580 -

Mirror Image

Bought these tonight:

New stereo/5.1 surround mix by Steven Wilson.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 18, 2014, 08:21:47 PM
Bought these tonight:

New stereo/5.1 surround mix by Steven Wilson.

Awesome!  :D

Night Vision

Ive been interested in deluxe album issues this weekend - the following are deluxe digital editions (except the Adore and KC sets where I bought the CD's) :):

Also got these:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 19, 2014, 11:41:50 PM
Ive been interested in deluxe album issues this weekend - the following are deluxe digital editions (except the Adore and KC sets where I bought the CD's) :):

Also got these:

Very nice haul, Conor. You should be in prog rock heaven. Have you heard ELP's Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery before? It should be said that Brain Salad Surgery, despite it's warts, is one of my favorite albums of all-time. I remember hearing this album when I was probably 10 or 11 and just finding it one of the strangest records I'd ever heard. :)

What issue is that In the Court of the Crimson King you bought? The Steve Wilson CD/DVD issue (aka 40th Anniversary Edition) or the 30th Anniversary Edition?

Mirror Image

BTW, Conor, do give ELP's Trilogy and self-titled debut a listen as well.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Henk

[asin]http://B00J9W0DUW[/asin]

Prog rock