Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Finally upgrading my Tati DVD set:

[asin]B00GDEZNTK[/asin]

Also, a six movie Blu-ray collection of Laurel and Hardy  ;D
Nordic releases.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Bought the 2CD/2DVD set. Reviews have been excellent so far.

Karl Henning

My one Amazon Prime Day indulgence:

[asin]B0002F6AH0[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

One of my all time favorite band leaders (Riddle and Hefti making up the top three) getting it done Hornet style.

Two soundtracks in one here.  I have the Burkes' on vinyl, but the Honey West is out of my price range so snagged it on cd.   

And this wonderful set of "wanna be"/cover spy soundtrack stuff.  I also usually opt for this on vinyl, but once again, crazy "askings" for this lp.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Maestro267

Some of my recent non-classical purchases:

Supertramp: Brother Where You Bound

Marillion: Script for a Jester's Tear

Pendragon: The Window of Life

Jellyfish: Bellybutton

NikF

I bought -

[asin]1860469248[/asin]

I also bought a couch for my home office. And although I don't smoke I finally remembered to buy one of those little tins of petrol/fluid for my cigarette lighter, because it's useful to carry a lighter with you.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Picked up the new Radiohead album from a local electronic store today:

I've heard positive/negative things about this new album, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I've heard it. I really haven't been keeping up with what Radiohead have been doing since OK Computer, but I do own Hail To The Thief and Kid A, which admittedly I haven't even listened to yet. My only excuse is I've been busy with so much other music.

George

At $29, it's so cheap that I can't say no.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

71 dB

Starting my Steve Roach exploration with this. It wasn't cheap. This kind of music rarely is.  :-\

[asin]B0000007TV[/asin]

71 dB

Some more Steve Roach (and Robert Rich):

[asin]FB00004SSVW[/asin] Steve Roach - Midnight Moon

[asin]FB000000X5K[/asin] Robert Rich & Steve Roach - Strata

Mirror Image

Bought last night:

I already owned the first season and I always loved The Muppet Show when I was a kid. The writing still holds up quite well I must say.

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 04, 2016, 07:16:13 AM
Bought last night:

I already owned the first season and I always loved The Muppet Show when I was a kid. The writing still holds up quite well I must say.

When The Muppets were still The Muppets.   :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 04, 2016, 11:46:50 AM
When The Muppets were still The Muppets.   :)

Indeed!

Thread duty -

I'm still in the midst of Season 1, but I might as well go ahead and buy this seeing that this is the best superhero series out there right now. I'd even go so far to say it's the best superhero series I've ever seen.

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 04, 2016, 05:13:19 PM
Indeed!

Thread duty -

I'm still in the midst of Season 1, but I might as well go ahead and buy this seeing that this is the best superhero series out there right now. I'd even go so far to say it's the best superhero series I've ever seen.

Have not watched Season 2, but our whole family loved Season 1.  We will watch it when Netflix releases it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 04, 2016, 05:45:30 PM
Have not watched Season 2, but our whole family loved Season 1.  We will watch it when Netflix releases it.

This show is addicting and I mean that in the most positive sense. What makes this series a particular success, for me, is it isn't just typical hero saves the day type of storyline. There are many curveballs thrown into the mixture and the character development, especially of Barry Allen and his relationships with Joe, Iris, and others give it a complexity that I find appealing. Anyway, it's just a popcorn-munching romp of a good show. I hope it's able to keep this kind of momentum in Season 2.

Mirror Image

Bought quite a few graphic novels today:

I previously owned Gaiman's The Sandman series in TPB (trade paperback), but I felt it was time to update these with something that feels more eloquent and easier to read. The Sandman: Overture I bought at my local book store, but the others I bought via http://www.instocktrades.com.

Also bought:

Mirror Image

Added some more Absolute editions from DC Comics to my collection:

And...

Mirror Image

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchase:

Been listening to Eurythmics pretty intensely for about a week now - this is the only album of theirs which I don't own: their soundtrack to the excellent movie version of Orwell's 1984.
Heard the single Sexcrime (1984) before but the rest will be new - looking forward to hearing this.

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchase:

Pre-ordered this upcoming release - I will receive it in mid-December.
Oxygene 1 & 2 are great so expecting this one to be good too.