Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 03, 2017, 02:14:58 PM

Nobody puts RoboCop in the corner.

It would be hard to unless you had a forklift perhaps. ;) Good to see ya still hanging around, Bill. :)

George

My first SACD player. The Marantz SA8005, which gets stellar reviews.  8)

Can't wait until it gets here on Friday! I bought it from Crutchfield, who give you 60 days to try it out. If you don't like it, you pay just $10 to send it back for a full refund.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on September 06, 2017, 09:43:04 AM

My first SACD player. The Marantz SA8005, which gets stellar reviews.  8)

Can't wait until it gets here on Friday! I bought it from Crutchfield, who give you 60 days to try it out. If you don't like it, you pay just $10 to send it back for a full refund.

Best of luck with that. It should sound very fine  :) :)

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchase:

It's the latest album from Aussie Art-Rock group The Church.

eljr

Quote from: Conor71 on August 03, 2017, 12:16:24 AM
Latest purchase:

Should be arriving soon - looking forward to hearing it..

I rather enjoy it.  ;)
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: eljr on October 14, 2017, 04:18:05 AM

I rather enjoy it.  ;)

Yes that's a great album - I can't imagine a better one to sit back and unwind to.
I can credit you with planting the seed to buy the album - thanks for that!. :)

eljr

Quote from: Conor71 on October 14, 2017, 05:41:52 AM
Yes that's a great album - I can't imagine a better one to sit back and unwind to.
I can credit you with planting the seed to buy the album - thanks for that!. :)

I don't recall but planting seeds is not uncommon to me. I plant 12 acres a year of farmland.  :P

"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Mirror Image

Bought myself an early Christmas present:

This just came out today and I found myself drooling over it. I'm a Nintendo fan and I heard the Switch does not disappoint unlike the Wii U.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2017, 05:33:37 PM
Bought myself an early Christmas present:

This just came out today and I found myself drooling over it. I'm a Nintendo fan and I heard the Switch does not disappoint unlike the Wii U.

Awesome!
My son and I love the Switch. Breath of the Wild is amazing, and the new Mario should arrive today in the mail which also looks great. Switch is picking up steam on future releases, Nintendo is finally getting the 3rd-party support that the Wii has been lacking.
The system itself is great, i haven't had an issue yet in 5 months with it. Easy access to Nintendo E-Store, and online play is smooth.
I hope you enjoy it, John. Let me know what you think!

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 28, 2017, 04:33:40 AM
Awesome!
My son and I love the Switch. Breath of the Wild is amazing, and the new Mario should arrive today in the mail which also looks great. Switch is picking up steam on future releases, Nintendo is finally getting the 3rd-party support that the Wii has been lacking.
The system itself is great, i haven't had an issue yet in 5 months with it. Easy access to Nintendo E-Store, and online play is smooth.
I hope you enjoy it, John. Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Greg. I wasn't going to buy it, but I really wanted it for the new Zelda and this new Mario. I had initially bought Breath of the Wild on the Nintendo Wii U but was highly disappointed with the frame rate issues that had plagued the game until Nintendo's software patch came along and took care of those issues, which, unfortunately, I had already gotten rid of the Wii U before the patch was released, but, also, I wasn't impressed with that system much to begin with. I haven't even taken the Switch out of the box yet and I probably won't until the repair work is done on the inside of our house. (Thanks again, Hurricane Irma!) Anyway, it does look like the Switch is a popular system and it seems to be gathering more and more steam, which is a great thing to see. Nintendo has always been my favorite when it comes to video game consoles. I'm not a big graphics guy as I'm more about a game being, first and foremost, fun to play, because, if it's not, then there's no reason for me to play it. :)

I just bought the Super Mario Odyssey: Prima Collector's Edition Guide today:

[asin]0744018870[/asin]

Mirror Image

*Nintendo Switch Update*

I couldn't stand it any longer --- I had to start playing the Switch, so, early in the AM, I started setting the system up. Let me say first, before I go any further, that I wasn't expecting much from this system. Even though I admitted I was a 'Nintendo guy', I was still left with a sour taste in my mouth from the Wii U. Now, that I've said this, let me say I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SWITCH! I'm not much into the portability aspect of it, even though this is quite cool, I was more concerned with how the system performed docked. I have been thoroughly impressed so far. Setup was a piece of cake and reminded me of just how easy it is to setup something like an Apple computer. Quite intuitive. Super Mario Odyssey is absolutely gorgeous. This is the most fun I've had with a video game since The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxy. Odyssey has some intriguing little quirks that makes it different than a normal Mario game, but these quirks do not in any way diminish the great joy I get from playing it. I read one review on Amazon where someone was complaining about the game's motion controls. The motion controls do not effect the gameplay and are not intrusive as this reviewer would have you to believe. In fact, you can bypass the motion controls and you don't even have to use them as the game is not completely reliant on them like something like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (one of the most annoying Zelda titles I've ever played) was on the Wii. I won't go any further talking about Odyssey, but if you've had your eyebrow raised about Nintendo over the five-six years (and rightfully so), then I can certainly understand your hesitation, but I can say now that I've gotten some Switch experience under my belt that this is the best system Nintendo has released since the Super NES. Nintendo finally seems to be on the path of doing impressive things again and let's just hope they can continue delivering products that people can enjoy and play for years on end.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Rowan Atkinson is one of my comedy heroes, especially his work on Blackadder, but his Mr. Bean series is one of my all-time favorites. What is particularly interesting about this set, besides being remastered, is it contains all of the deleted scenes that were cut out. Especially funny was the Queen deleted scene regarding an armchair. This probably was quite inappropriate when it was first aired hence why it was cut later on. The previous box set on A&E was disappointing because the exclusion of the deleted scenes.

Mirror Image

Not a purchase per se, but, for Christmas, my parents gave me $250 and a test to send off my DNA to Ancestry.com to see what countries we came from. I think I know what I want to spend the money on, so stay tuned. :)

71 dB

Steve Roach - Structures From Silence (30th Anniversary 3 CD Remastered Edition)

[asin]B00IJZW3WQ[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Steve Roach - Quiet Music: The Original 3-hour Collection

[asin]B005LY47RW[/asin]

71 dB

Steve Roach / Robert Rich - Soma

[asin]B000000X65[/asin]

listener

an 8-dvd collection of films by Ernst Lubitsch - PAL  - English tracks with French subtitles
only EUR 24,99  if purchased from amazon.fr   available Jan.17.
[asin]B00HBY3LP4[/asin]
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."