Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I don't believe I've posted this yet, but I bought the Hellboy Library Editions Vols. 1-6:

North Star

From German Amazon last week:

[asin]B000AXZCOG[/asin]
[asin]B00000INM1[/asin]
[asin]B00004YMOK[/asin]
[asin]B00006L3SV[/asin]
[asin]B000EXZ9P4[/asin]
[asin]B000TQCXKA[/asin]
[asin]B0002JKPP4[/asin]
[asin]B002C6K86G[/asin]
[asin]B00S1M7IAE[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

eljr

Alison Krauss
Windy City

Release Date
February 17, 2017
Duration
34:14
Genre
Country
Styles
Contemporary CountryNeo-Traditionalist CountryCountry-PopNashville Sound/Countrypolitan
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

NikF

Quote from: MN Dave on February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM
Post your non-classical music (book, magazine, garden tool, sex aid, etc.) purchases in this thread.

So, any purchases? Okay...

When I'm fully capable of walking unhindered again (maybe two weeks?) these will be on my feet -

8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

I'll go ahead and post this as these will definitely be purchases when they're released on March 3rd:

+ the strategy guide (hardcover edition) -

I'm a huge Zelda fan from all the way back to the 8-bit Nintendo days. This new installment in the series promises to the be the most massively scaled Zelda game yet. Upon looking at previews of the map alone, I'm in complete awe.

Special note: Nintendo has a new console coming out called Switch, but I honestly don't think it's doing anything new other than a bit better graphics, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild are virtually the same in regards to content on both the Wii U and the Switch, so I don't feel any need to upgrade my current system.

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2017, 02:20:01 PM
I'll go ahead and post this as these will definitely be purchases when they're released on March 3rd:

I'm a huge Zelda fan from all the way back to the 8-bit Nintendo days. This new installment in the series promises to the be the most massively scaled Zelda game yet. Upon looking at previews of the map alone, I'm in complete awe.

I think that's the game that Iain (my best friend/colleague/arch-nemesis) has been talking about recently. He plays a lot of games, although not as many as he used to. He once told me about another game he played in which a character named Ayriz (Auriz?) died and it made him cry. Clearly, he is a wimp and needs a beating.

e: Aeriz.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on February 26, 2017, 07:28:49 PM
I think that's the game that Iain (my best friend/colleague/arch-nemesis) has been talking about recently. He plays a lot of games, although not as many as he used to. He once told me about another game he played in which a character named Ayriz (Auriz?) died and it made him cry. Clearly, he is a wimp and needs a beating.

e: Aeriz.

I'm not a huge gamer and never will be, but there's something unique and always magical about The Legend of Zelda. I've been waiting for this particular Zelda game for years. I bought my Wii U last year and it has basically collected dust because I'm not too thrilled with many of the games I bought for it, but this Zelda is going to be, hopefully, the only reason why anyone will hang onto their Wii U systems.

I'm not sure what game your friend played to make him cry, but sometimes an emotional narrative can come through in a game, especially one that you've become heavily enthralled with.

NikF

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 26, 2017, 07:42:31 PM
I'm not a huge gamer and never will be, but there's something unique and always magical about The Legend of Zelda. I've been waiting for this particular Zelda game for years. I bought my Wii U last year and it has basically collected dust because I'm not too thrilled with many of the games I bought for it, but this Zelda is going to be, hopefully, the only reason why anyone will hang onto their Wii U systems.

I'm not sure what game your friend played to make him cry, but sometimes an emotional narrative can come through in a game, especially one that you've become heavily enthralled with.

I'll email him and ask what the title of the game was.
And yeah, I know it's easy to get so immersed in a game (or music or a book or an image etc) that one becomes emotional. :) I just like reminding my best friend that he's a wimp. ;D

NikF

^ He says the game is called final fantasy and that the character name is Aeris or Aerith.

Mirror Image

Quote from: NikF on February 26, 2017, 10:12:09 PM
^ He says the game is called final fantasy and that the character name is Aeris or Aerith.

Ah okay, yeah, Final Fantasy has a huge fanbase, which doesn't include me. :) I only truly love a few game franchises.

Autumn Leaves

Poor at the moment but I was able to stretch the funds to purchase this record :):

Mirror Image

Not much going on with me on a non-classical front, but I did pick-up these Leo Kottke recordings that were missing from my collection earlier:

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on January 18, 2017, 07:37:43 PM
Muscle and Mayhem: The Saginaw Kid and the Fistic World of the 1890s

[asin]1457518406[/asin]

A review when you can, Nik!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2017, 05:02:07 AM
A review when you can, Nik!

Muscle and Mayhem: The Saginaw Kid and the Fistic World of the 1890s.

It might be that the only reasonable choice to write the story of a boxer born in the 1860s should be a historian. If there's any downside to the expertise that such a person would bring, it's that a lack of real knowledge or love for the sport could result in a dry, repetitious account, most often little more than a series of quotes punctuated by rewritten news reports of noteable bouts. However that has been avoided here by the sheer enthusiasm imparted in telling the tale of a great lightweight boxer and the times he lived and fought in. 

There's always going to be almost a soap opera element when relating this route of this kind of life, due to the type of background many boxers hail from and how that plays an ongoing role in their attempts to find success and deal with the resulting pressures. But in this instance the somewhat inevitable decline, the easy to identify oncoming troubles and fall(s) are handled with a minimum of drama and so can add to the colour of Lavigne's life without seeking sympathy or making any apologies for who he was.

I consider this a worthwhile read for those who have an interest in the society and culture of the time. I would also imagine it appealing to the kind of fight fan who closely follows boxing, but despite being more of 'Raging Bull' than a 'Rocky' it's firmly in the mainstream and light enough to provide entertainment.

Mirror Image

Made a stop at my local Barnes & Noble and here's what I picked up:

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on March 27, 2017, 12:12:04 PM
Muscle and Mayhem: The Saginaw Kid and the Fistic World of the 1890s.

It might be that the only reasonable choice to write the story of a boxer born in the 1860s should be a historian. If there's any downside to the expertise that such a person would bring, it's that a lack of real knowledge or love for the sport could result in a dry, repetitious account, most often little more than a series of quotes punctuated by rewritten news reports of noteable bouts. However that has been avoided here by the sheer enthusiasm imparted in telling the tale of a great lightweight boxer and the times he lived and fought in. 

There's always going to be almost a soap opera element when relating this route of this kind of life, due to the type of background many boxers hail from and how that plays an ongoing role in their attempts to find success and deal with the resulting pressures. But in this instance the somewhat inevitable decline, the easy to identify oncoming troubles and fall(s) are handled with a minimum of drama and so can add to the colour of Lavigne's life without seeking sympathy or making any apologies for who he was.

I consider this a worthwhile read for those who have an interest in the society and culture of the time. I would also imagine it appealing to the kind of fight fan who closely follows boxing, but despite being more of 'Raging Bull' than a 'Rocky' it's firmly in the mainstream and light enough to provide entertainment.

Thanks, Nik!  Always been a big boxing fan.  I grew up watching Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Norton and later, the Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Ray Leonard bouts.  Boxing from the 1950's is something that I want to read more about as well.  Either way, cool to see something about the sweet science.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on March 27, 2017, 05:53:35 PM
Thanks, Nik!  Always been a big boxing fan.  I grew up watching Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Norton and later, the Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Ray Leonard bouts.  Boxing from the 1950's is something that I want to read more about as well.  Either way, cool to see something about the sweet science.

You're welcome. 

Fight fans can hardly agree on the best fighters or even the best eras. But the 1950s is a good one. And as far as boxing from that decade is concerned there's a nice little book that was written with the great featherweight champ Willie Pep. I think he himself only just fought until about 1950, but the book contains a collection of stories and anecdotes about the friday night broadcasts of fights on US television during the 50s. While it features Marciano and Jersey Joe and all those guys, there's also mention of fighters like Tiger Jones and Kid Gavilan and Chuck Davey. As boxing books go it's not a big read, but it's a cool one all the same.

[asin]1434301826[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: NikF on March 27, 2017, 06:23:20 PM
You're welcome. 

Fight fans can hardly agree on the best fighters or even the best eras. But the 1950s is a good one. And as far as boxing from that decade is concerned there's a nice little book that was written with the great featherweight champ Willie Pep. I think he himself only just fought until about 1950, but the book contains a collection of stories and anecdotes about the friday night broadcasts of fights on US television during the 50s. While it features Marciano and Jersey Joe and all those guys, there's also mention of fighters like Tiger Jones and Kid Gavilan and Chuck Davey. As boxing books go it's not a big read, but it's a cool one all the same.

[asin]1434301826[/asin]

Thanks!  Just about to order it.

NikF

Quote from: Bogey on March 28, 2017, 04:59:12 AM
Thanks!  Just about to order it.

Hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, Bert Sugar.  :)

Bogey