Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 12, 2017, 08:47:10 PM
I've made quite a haul over the past week:

Almost all of them personal favourites of mine.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

aligreto

Quote from: Christo on June 22, 2017, 11:43:28 PM
Almost all of them personal favourites of mine.  ???

I must admit that I do not know the music of David Sylvian although I know of him. Where would be a good place to start? I will check out YouTube also.

Christo

Quote from: aligreto on June 23, 2017, 08:42:42 AMI must admit that I do not know the music of David Sylvian although I know of him. Where would be a good place to start? I will check out YouTube also.
Yes, I do recommend him. He's one of the few 'pop' musicians I saw live in concert, too. Three times, in Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Utrecht, in the 1980s and 1990s.
Best places to start IMHO, are his first and third solo album: Brilliant Trees and Secrets of the Beehive. For example these two very nostalgic and one more 'pop' songs:
https://www.youtube.com/v/CBupS5PMMsc https://www.youtube.com/v/Xbgvr_LqHQQ&list=PLHSuNumf89bSAkrw2dM-chLocPApwXT8o https://www.youtube.com/v/AEHIgFdNmf8

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

aligreto

Quote from: Christo on July 01, 2017, 12:31:39 PM
Yes, I do recommend him. He's one of the few 'pop' musicians I saw live in concert, too. Three times, in Rotterdam, Amsterdam and Utrecht, in the 1980s and 1990s.
Best places to start IMHO, are his first and third solo album: Brilliant Trees and Secrets of the Beehive. For example these two very nostalgic and one more 'pop' songs:
https://www.youtube.com/v/CBupS5PMMsc https://www.youtube.com/v/Xbgvr_LqHQQ&list=PLHSuNumf89bSAkrw2dM-chLocPApwXT8o https://www.youtube.com/v/AEHIgFdNmf8

Thank you for that  8)

nodogen

Sersophane, the latest from Gosta Berlings Saga.

[asin]B01M7ZER6T[/asin]

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchases:

Fleet Foxes latest album.

Father John Misty's new one.

Theres a few new/upcoming releases I have my eye on - will be adding them to my collection over the next few weeks.

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchases:

One of my favorite U2 albums but I just own an MP3 of it ATM - now I will have a copy on CD.
Edit: Ordered a couple more items:

Arcade Fire's new one - I ordered the "Night Version" of this album (not the "Day Version" as pictured). Both versions seem to have exactly the same songs though (as far as I am aware).

An EP I don't own already.

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchases:

The Church - Pangaea EP

Peter Gabriel - OVO Soundtrack

Another couple of "upgrade" purchases from previously owned MP3 to CD versions - Think that's all I'll be getting for a while now.

Bogey

Quote from: aligreto on June 17, 2017, 09:31:17 AM
Cheers Nik. Quite true and I am really looking forward to revisiting this music  8)

I for one hope you post every vinyl purchase you make.  And any reasoning behind your purchases will be most welcomed reading.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

aligreto

Quote from: Bogey on July 23, 2017, 08:29:50 AM
I for one hope you post every vinyl purchase you make.  And any reasoning behind your purchases will be most welcomed reading.

That is interesting: I thought that us vinyl junkies were a dying breed in this digital world  :)

Bogey

Quote from: aligreto on July 25, 2017, 12:49:02 AM
That is interesting: I thought that us vinyl junkies were a dying breed in this digital world  :)

Naw.  I do not believe in our lifetime we will be numero uno, but we will continue to thrive finding sonic treasures that just need a bit of dusting off.  There will be others coming after us that will continue our analogue quest as well.  (One of my 14 year old God Daughters we were visiting has suddenly taken an interest in it.) Some will stay, many will only stick around for about five minutes.  I expect the popularity to come in waves.  Plenty of articles about vinyl revival, and the new pressings are popping up like dandelions if you have twenty or thirty bucks for a record you cannot live without. Surfs definitely up for those of us that like buying the vintage classical platters.  Some very nice vintage pressings still in the wild and seem abundant and still cheap, especially in used record stores and at thrift shops.  Our biggest concern is, "Do I have the room?"

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

aligreto

Quote from: Bogey on July 25, 2017, 05:15:41 AM
Naw.  I do not believe in our lifetime we will be numero uno, but we will continue to thrive finding sonic treasures that just need a bit of dusting off.  There will be others coming after us that will continue our analogue quest as well.  (One of my 14 year old God Daughters we were visiting has suddenly taken an interest in it.) Some will stay, many will only stick around for about five minutes.  I expect the popularity to come in waves.  Plenty of articles about vinyl revival, and the new pressings are popping up like dandelions if you have twenty or thirty bucks for a record you cannot live without. Surfs definitely up for those of us that like buying the vintage classical platters.  Some very nice vintage pressings still in the wild and seem abundant and still cheap, especially in used record stores and at thrift shops.  Our biggest concern is, "Do I have the room?"

Yes indeed, and the hunt continues unabated irrespective of the storage issue  8)

Bogey

Quote from: aligreto on July 25, 2017, 06:35:30 AM
Yes indeed, and the hunt continues unabated irrespective of the storage issue  8)

That's the spirit!

Autumn Leaves

Latest purchases:

I "own" all of U2's studio albums already but all of the above I just have as MP's ATM - I'm in the process of "upgrading" some parts of my collection from lossy to lossless versions and making detailed scans of the Artwork which means buying a CD copy..
Quite a big haul I guess but I was feeling a bit pleased with myself as I picked up the lot (with postage) for about $30 AUS :).

nodogen

More nostalgia in my dotage...

[asin]B00065MDRW[/asin]

[asin]B00064WSN2[/asin]

Autumn Leaves

Quote from: nodogen on July 26, 2017, 07:22:10 AM
More nostalgia in my dotage...

[asin]B00065MDRW[/asin]

[asin]B00064WSN2[/asin]

Very nice! - has it been long since you last listened to these albums?.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure