Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2018, 11:36:43 PM
Braga Santos and H.Andriessen will be turning in their graves!
8)
Cannot check the Braga Santos, but Hendrik's grave looks serene.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on May 14, 2018, 11:24:59 PM
Have been playing the other albums over the last weeks (in my car) and am especially fond of The Hurting (1983) and Raoul and the Kings of Spain (1995). Avoided this one, as the obviously 'too commercial' success of the late 1980s, but will see if you're right.  8)

I never viewed Tears For Fears as 'too commercial'. I think that's an inappropriate label and it seems to suggest that they were sellouts, which couldn't be further from the truth. Songs from the Big Chair despite having songs like Head Over Heels, Shout, and Everybody Wants to Rule the World (this album's big hit singles), could still be viewed as an 'experimental' album of sorts. I will say I absolutely adore these hit singles from this album anyway as I somehow avoided the heavy radio play and appreciated them beyond the radio (as I always have with so many musical discoveries). The radio has always been a dead medium to me and never has it been something I relied on to find new music. I remember MTV back in the day when they actually played music videos and this was a more viable medium to me than simply listening to the radio and this is where I discovered Tears For Fears.

71 dB

Quote from: Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich on April 13, 2018, 05:54:04 AM
Ae NTS sessions seconds after they appear. Album 3 + 4 next thursdays. People, at least fans are complete brainmelted. May be Ae's magnum opus.

Preordered the 8 CD boxset and downloaded 16 bit FLAC files (24 bit consumer audio is a scam and waste of memory.)

Boxset 45 € + 7.50 € for shipping = 52.50 € total. Delivery of the CDs late July it seems.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mr. Minnow

Mirror Image

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2018, 08:28:38 PM
Awesome! Let me know what you think of both albums.

Not sure how quickly I'll get round to them as I already have an absurd number of discs I haven't played yet, but I'm hoping that these two turn out to be similar in quality to the Toronto double CD. The reviews I've read suggest that that's the case, so unplayed CDs notwithstanding, I couldn't resist ordering these. I suspect I'll muster up equally little resistance to ordering the Chicago double CD too.

Just seen the upcoming Collectors Club editions listed on Amazon UK: half a dozen releases of gigs from Japan recorded in October 2000, nearly £50 each. Thank god I'm not a KC completist....

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 24, 2018, 05:03:23 PM
Not sure how quickly I'll get round to them as I already have an absurd number of discs I haven't played yet, but I'm hoping that these two turn out to be similar in quality to the Toronto double CD. The reviews I've read suggest that that's the case, so unplayed CDs notwithstanding, I couldn't resist ordering these. I suspect I'll muster up equally little resistance to ordering the Chicago double CD too.

Just seen the upcoming Collectors Club editions listed on Amazon UK: half a dozen releases of gigs from Japan recorded in October 2000, nearly £50 each. Thank god I'm not a KC completist....

Yes, I'm not a Crimson completist either, but definitely not going to purchasing those expensive discs.

71 dB

Brian Eno - Another Green World

[asin]B00022M51I[/asin]

Quote from: Mr. Minnow on May 22, 2018, 04:35:24 PM

I think this is excellent.  0:)

EddieRUKiddingVarese

Following Tom Thumb
Peter: Howe Tim Gaze
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

71 dB

Surprise surprise, a delay.  ::)

Quote from: 71 dB on May 20, 2018, 09:16:54 AM
Preordered the Autechre NTS Sessions 8 CD boxset and downloaded 16 bit FLAC files (24 bit consumer audio is a scam and waste of memory.)

Boxset 45 € + 7.50 € for shipping = 52.50 € total. Delivery of the CDs late July it seems.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your pre-order of Autechre - NTS Sessions.

We're writing to let you know that unfortunately the production of this record has been delayed.  We now expect your order to be dispatched the week of the 13th August. You will receive a dispatch notification as soon as it ships.

We're sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

Please note you can download this release from the music section of your account now.

https://autechre.bleepstores.com/account/music

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,

Bleep Stores Support

Omicron9

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2018, 11:35:39 AM
Just bought these two newer King Crimson releases:

That KC Chicago record is quite nice; I've been enjoying it.  Caught them in Boston in Nov. 2017; excellent.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Mr. Minnow

Omicron9

Mr. Minnow

Quote from: Omicron9 on August 29, 2018, 04:17:32 AM
Interesting cover art.

Hopefully the music is as interesting as their 70s albums too. I have high hopes....

Gryphon are strongly recommended to anyone who hasn't tried them - they're a really interesting mix of folk, prog and early music. Happily, four of their five previous albums have just been reissued in a 2 disc package:

The first album and Midnight Mushrumps are folkier, whereas the prog elements are more to the fore on Red Queen To Gryphon Three and Raindance, but they're all excellent.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mr. Minnow

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on September 21, 2018, 05:22:19 PM

Pre-Order. Released on November 2.

I am not a big Dylan fan but that looks like a very nice set.

Omicron9