Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 23, 2011, 04:18:10 PM
Oh yeah, most definitely. I've loved this recording since I was a kid. I remember we used to have dance nights at my parents' house and this was my introduction to The Police's music.

I have stood here before inside the pouring rain
With the world turning circles running 'round my brain
I guess I'm always hoping that you'll end this reign
But it's my destiny to be the king of pain

Reminds me of the episode of "Friends" where Phoebe stalks Sting and bluffs her way into his apartment. On meeting his wife who  threats her with calling the police, she responds "Great, a reunion!"

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on November 01, 2011, 03:51:04 AM
Reminds me of the episode of "Friends" where Phoebe stalks Sting and bluffs her way into his apartment. On meeting his wife who  threats her with calling the police, she responds "Great, a reunion!"

Fun!

There's also a great moment in the Firesign Theatre's 2001 album, Bride of Firesign, where a response to an echo of "Every Breath You Take" (am I the only one who has trouble remembering just which of the song's lines serves for the title?) is a tidy allusion to one of their own earlier sketches: "Help. it's the Police" . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

[asin]B000UZDO76[/asin]

My rule is that any video I buy for my son must be something I can handle myself, and Pocoyo is one of them. Very minimalist in its presentation, all white background, no character dialogue only a narrator (Stephen Fry narrates) and the animation looks similar to claymation although it is CG. Very cute show.

Karl Henning

Très intéressant, as we say on the Left Bank.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lethevich

The Faber Book of Diaries (no Amazon pics :c). A mix of light-reading and colourful entries from various famous and semi-famous Britons over the centuries.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Pretty much out of the blue . . . dreamt that somehow there was a CD/DVD pairing by Genesis which somehow I had missed through fetching in the boxes, and that I made a purchase to close up that gap.

I knew it was a dream, because I made the purchase in a brick-&-mortar shop . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

George

Looks like it will be heaven and Las Vegas.  :D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on November 01, 2011, 04:36:21 PM
Looks like it will be heaven and Las Vegas.  :D

That's right! Do you own all of the Cocteau Twins recordings, George?

George

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 01, 2011, 06:34:55 PM
That's right! Do you own all of the Cocteau Twins recordings, George?

I recently got a lot of them, yes. Some of it clicked (Heaven or Las Vegas and Blue Bell Knoll) right away, but the rest didn't really do much for me.

I've been revisiting bands I have either ignored (New Order, Early Punk (early Clash/Buzzcocks/Sex Pistols)), not given a fair chance (U2, Springsteen, Fugazi) or never even heard of (Joy Division, Nick Drake) over the last year or so and have loved almost all of it.   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on November 01, 2011, 06:42:02 PMI recently got a lot of them, yes. Some of it clicked (Heaven or Las Vegas and Blue Bell Knoll) right away, but the rest didn't really do much for me.

Cocteau Twins occupy a unique place in rock history. They were by no means a mainstream rock band like U2. They have a unique style which I own almost single-handedly to Robin Guthrie whose guitar style has recently influenced my own. Obviously he's into effects like chorus, reverb, and delay much like I am. He's a different kind of guitarist. In terms of rock music, I've always been attracted to groups that played music that's off the beaten track. Cocteau Twins's dreamy, textural pop coincides with the sound I envision my own rock band of having. The only difference is they made their band a reality and influenced a lot of musicians. 8) I've heard Garlands a couple of years ago and I wasn't too impressed with it, but their sound keep growing, maturing, and became more refined. Garlands from what I've been told is their "angry" album. Every rock band makes an angry album at some point.

Speaking of Robin Guthrie...

http://www.youtube.com/v/qngc--zwGxY

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 01, 2011, 06:50:49 PM
Cocteau Twins occupy a unique place in rock history. They were by no means a mainstream rock band like U2. They have a unique style which I own almost single-handedly to Robin Guthrie whose guitar style has recently influenced my own. Obviously he's into effects like chorus, reverb, and delay much like I am. He's a different kind of guitarist. In terms of rock music, I've always been attracted to groups that played music that's off the beaten track. Cocteau Twins's dreamy, textural pop coincides with the sound I envision my own rock band of having. The only difference is they made their band a reality and influenced a lot of musicians. 8) I've heard Garlands a couple of years ago and I wasn't too impressed with it, but their sound keep growing, maturing, and became more refined. Garlands from what I've been told is their "angry" album. Every rock band makes an angry album at some point.

Speaking of Robin Guthrie...

http://www.youtube.com/v/qngc--zwGxY

Ahh, I dig that. Thanks for sharing, MI.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 01, 2011, 07:02:00 PM

Ahh, I dig that. Thanks for sharing, MI.

You're welcome, Greg. Glad you enjoyed it. 8) Guthrie's style is deceptively simple. He's running a bunch of effects, but the way he achieves his sound and his musical timing are what made him legendary. In terms of unique rock guitarists, Steve Howe, Robert Fripp, Steve Hackett, Alex Lifeson, Andy Summers, The Edge, and Robin Guthrie all have an identifiable sound. They also don't have to rely on "guitar licks." They've moved beyond the technical aspects of guitar and each of them nailed the essence of their own personality into their respective styles.

SonicMan46

Harry Nilsson - A Little Touch of Schmilsson in the Night - had this recording on LP when released in the early 1970s (I think the year of our son's birth, 1973), the replaced it in the early CD era; performances of standards w/ the great Gordon Jenkins arrangements and doing the conducting.

Well, I just saw an excellent DVD bio of Nilsson and wondered what may have happen to this recording session in recent years - well, the material has been re-mastered and includes a half dozen additional songs - short but excellent liner notes & pics! :)

Conor71

Conor71

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Bought Cocteau Twins' last two studio albums:

Now, it's time to buy the EPs...

Mirror Image

Just bought these two 2-CD sets of Cocteau Twins EPs:

There was a 10-CD box set released in the early '90s of the EPs from Heaven Or Las Vegas and back, but these two sets contain all the music of this 10-CD set plus their EPs from Four Calender Cafe to Milk & Kisses with some extras as well like acoustic versions of some of their songs. I'm glad I opted for these two 2-CD sets, because that 10-CD set (released in '91) is expensive. The only thing I'm lacking now is the BBC Sessions.

Conor71

Added the following Albums to my Library :):