Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Big Mama Thornton belting out Hound Dog really puts Elvis to shame.

Picked up this as well (both from a local shop):

[asin]B005APT8A8[/asin]

Good remastering job as far as I can hear.

Ataraxia

Quote from: The new erato on January 27, 2012, 07:43:27 AM
Big Mama Thornton belting out Hound Dog really puts Elvis to shame.

I know the recording well.  8)

The new erato

Just signed the contract for a new 150 hp, candyred Focus Estate:

My Mercedes is getting long in the tooth, and I seriously need something smaller. This Focus is totally filled with all available options more or less.

Geo Dude

I've read Kittredge's work previously (essays and short stories) and can confirm that this really is a 'best of', and his writing style seems to be what I need right now:

[asin]1555973841[/asin]

Conor71

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on February 04, 2012, 03:33:17 PM
Just ordered this:

Excellent, Conor, I'm not sure what's all included in this Blue Note box set, but I'm pretty sure I own them all. :) Blue Note was a great label. Too bad they've declined in quality.

Conor71

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 04, 2012, 07:22:20 PM
Excellent, Conor, I'm not sure what's all included in this Blue Note box set, but I'm pretty sure I own them all. :) Blue Note was a great label. Too bad they've declined in quality.

Nice John, I was hoping it must have some essential stuff in it! :) - Im not sure whats in the box either (there wasnt much in the product description on Amazon) but it seems like an easy way to get some cool Jazz recordings.

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Geo Dude

Won today off of E-Bay:

[asin]157223394X[/asin]

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Conor71

Quote from: Bogey on February 08, 2012, 07:15:16 PM
Bru is one of my favorites....enjoy!

Thanks Bill, looking forward to listening to these albums already!  :D

Conor71

Just bough these (a rare B&M store purchase for me..) :) :

The new erato

Just received this, I didn't have it..... :-\

[asin]B00006RT50[/asin]

Stray Cat Blues is extremely exciting played loud.

DavidW

Mirror Image

I didn't own this Woody Shaw recording so I picked it up. He's one of my favorite jazz trumpeters:

Geo Dude

Quote from: The new erato on February 18, 2012, 06:08:23 AM
Just received this, I didn't have it..... :-\

[asin]B00006RT50[/asin]

Stray Cat Blues is extremely exciting played loud.

Good thing you got it.  You need that album!

Thread duty:

Ordered this today along with some classical albums:

[asin]0143036122[/asin]

The new erato

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 01, 2012, 02:39:20 PM
Good thing you got it.  You need that album!
It was the only one lacking from the series of essential Stones albums.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 05:18:09 PM
I didn't own this Woody Shaw recording so I picked it up. He's one of my favorite jazz trumpeters:

What's his playing style?  Hot, cool?  More traditional or more abstract?  If you were to recommend one or two albums, which would you recommend most strongly?

Thread duty:

I seem to have lost my two copies of Tonight's the Night on CD and the LP is of no use in the car, so I finally gave in and ordered a used copy off of Amazon for twenty four cents + shipping.  Feeling a Neil Young binge coming on I also gave in and ordered two of my favorite albums to go along with Tonight's the Night.  Now if only I could find my copy of On the Beach before I end up buying another one...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 10, 2012, 07:09:13 AM
What's his playing style?  Hot, cool?  More traditional or more abstract?  If you were to recommend one or two albums, which would you recommend most strongly?

Sorry for the late reply, Geo Dude. Woody Shaw's style falls somewhere between hot/cool and his style depends all on the music he's playing and/or who he's playing with. He mostly falls in the bebop style. He's one of the more lyrical trumpeters of his time. He had a great sense of melody and his improvisations are always on a high level. Sometimes pretty daring harmonically. I would start with either Solid or Imagination. I recently listened to a little bit of In My Own Sweet Way and it's quite good as well, but I would definitely start with either of the albums I mentioned.