Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Received yesterday these CDs:

Carly Simon: Spy
Carly Simon: Christmas Is Almost Here (Again)
Tangerine Dream: Booster V
Tangerine Dream: Mona Da Vinci cupdisc
Tangerine Dream: Machu Picchu cupdisc + a card with Edgar Froese's autograph!  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Lethevich

Quote from: The new erato on March 27, 2012, 10:35:34 PM
Thanks for that. Simply had to order it! Of course it all snowballed until the order contained 5 books on France and Paris.

n__n I got through the first few chapters today, it's super neat. I almost wish it had more photographs (there are only a couple) - they are quite haunting.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Geo Dude

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 29, 2012, 05:10:04 AM

Classic recording. I own every recording Evans made from the very beginning to the end. He's simply one of the most engaging jazz musicians I've heard. He swings, he's lyrical and melodic, has a great harmonic language, and he's always tasteful. Enjoy the music.

Geo Dude

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2012, 08:42:56 AM
Classic recording. I own every recording Evans made from the very beginning to the end. He's simply one of the most engaging jazz musicians I've heard. He swings, he's lyrical and melodic, has a great harmonic language, and he's always tasteful. Enjoy the music.

I was first introduced to Evans through Kind of Blue (like most people, I suppose) and immediately found him fascinating.  I own The Last Waltz and Consecration so I've got his later work covered.  I heard the three disc Village Vanguard recordings a while back and loved them and considered ordering that, but I felt it would be biting off a bit more than I can chew musically right this second, so I decided to save it for ordering in a couple of weeks.  I also own Moonbeams and Undercurrent but the tubby sound and all ballad thing on Moonbeams isn't clicking with me right now, and I wanted to hear Evans in a trio format so Undercurrent is out for serious listening.  I suppose you could say I have something of a love/hate relationship with Evans, but I thing that 'hate' is a bit strong.  Sometimes he clicks with me, sometimes he doesn't, but when he does it is pure magic.  I've never heard Portrait in Jazz so it seemed like a good point for restarting my journey with Evans.

Thread duty: 

:)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 30, 2012, 05:10:53 PM
I was first introduced to Evans through Kind of Blue (like most people, I suppose) and immediately found him fascinating.  I own The Last Waltz and Consecration so I've got his later work covered.  I heard the three disc Village Vanguard recordings a while back and loved them and considered ordering that, but I felt it would be biting off a bit more than I can chew musically right this second, so I decided to save it for ordering in a couple of weeks.  I also own Moonbeams and Undercurrent but the tubby sound and all ballad thing on Moonbeams isn't clicking with me right now, and I wanted to hear Evans in a trio format so Undercurrent is out for serious listening.  I suppose you could say I have something of a love/hate relationship with Evans, but I thing that 'hate' is a bit strong.  Sometimes he clicks with me, sometimes he doesn't, but when he does it is pure magic.  I've never heard Portrait in Jazz so it seemed like a good point for restarting my journey with Evans.

Interesting that Moon Beams hasn't clicked for you yet. It's probably my favorite Evans album if truth be told. I do dig his trio with Motian and Lafaro though but what respectable jazz fan wouldn't? Moon Beams signifies the heartbreak Evans felt after Lafaro's death, so you could say it's one of his most personal albums. It connected with me instantly but this may be because I was already coming from a heavy Evans diet having heard albums like Portrait In Jazz, Waltz For Debby, Explorations, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, and Everybody Digs Bill Evans. When I heard Moon Beams, it was a completely different experience for me. It felt like I was listening to someone bear his soul to the world, which he was. It took Evans a year to record this album, which is pretty unheard of for a jazz musician not to record anything for such an extended period of time.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 30, 2012, 06:19:59 PM
Interesting that Moon Beams hasn't clicked for you yet. It's probably my favorite Evans album if truth be told. I do dig his trio with Motian and Lafaro though but what respectable jazz fan wouldn't? Moon Beams signifies the heartbreak Evans felt after Lafaro's death, so you could say it's one of his most personal albums. It connected with me instantly but this may be because I was already coming from a heavy Evans diet having heard albums like Portrait In Jazz, Waltz For Debby, Explorations, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, and Everybody Digs Bill Evans. When I heard Moon Beams, it was a completely different experience for me. It felt like I was listening to someone bear his soul to the world, which he was. It took Evans a year to record this album, which is pretty unheard of for a jazz musician not to record anything for such an extended period of time.

Interesting perspective.  I don't doubt that I'll click with Moonbeams in time, but I haven't been in an all ballads mood as of late.

By the way, are you familiar with Ahmad Jamal's Live At the Pershing?  Essential stuff.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on March 31, 2012, 03:27:12 AM
Interesting perspective.  I don't doubt that I'll click with Moonbeams in time, but I haven't been in an all ballads mood as of late.

By the way, are you familiar with Ahmad Jamal's Live At the Pershing?  Essential stuff.

Yeah, I don't really like Ahmad Jamal too much. Give me Monk, Evans, Peterson, Red Garland, Hampton Hawes, Bud Powell any day over Jamal.

71 dB

It was about time to purchase these two discs...

[asin]B00006ANZL[/asin][asin]B004UHPU1I[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Geo Dude

Geo Dude

mc ukrneal

I've wanted these for a while (Lennie Nieuhaus). Not sure why I waited so long, as I've played many of these pieces in one form or another...

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Geo Dude

I've decided to indulge in one of my favorite vices again, hopefully the last time for quite a while:

Todd

Decided to order some contemporary rock.  A rare thing for me nowadays.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

I've read nothing but great things about this newer Batman GN so I bought it:

[asin]140123206X[/asin]

Ataraxia

[asin]B000H0MNNU[/asin][asin]B000005J4K[/asin][asin]B00000JZCI[/asin](You can't see his image on the Internet, but that last one is Glass's Dracula by the Kronos Quartet.)

lisa needs braces

I guess I've become a Blizzard fanboy.

Ataraxia

Oh, and some metal CDs I won't bother to mention here.  ::)

Conor71