Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: eyeresist on May 03, 2012, 06:32:23 PM
I picked up the second last night. It's in the same style as the first album, but unlike that one, which is solidly hit after hit, it's patchy and sometimes has a sense they are repeating themselves.
I listened to a bit of the Third this morning - very different to their old stuff! So far very dirgey, making me miss the rhythmic inflections of their earlier stuff.

The first one I loved instantly! The third took time to grow on me. I'd say give it time.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

eyeresist

Quote from: George on May 03, 2012, 06:46:49 PMThe first one I loved instantly! The third took time to grow on me. I'd say give it time.

The last track I heard before I had to go to work had a good Can-ish vibe, so we'll see. I also picked up Beth Gibbons' solo album "Out of season" (not actually solo; co-written with a guy called Webb). That too is extremely dirgeful, but after a while I could take the music on its own merits. It is a depressing record though, almost literally: it reminds me of the time my doctor overprescribed me some pain killers, and I got to feel what it must be like to be a junky.

Geo Dude

Mirror Image

Just bought five albums from this British prog-rock band:

Geo Dude

Geo Dude

A few more goodies:

Music:

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

TheGSMoeller

Just bought original Alien on blue ray at target for $14.99.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 19, 2012, 04:01:26 PM

Just bought original Alien on blue ray at target for $14.99.

Always a classic, Greg.

Mirror Image

Bought last night:

I was looking through my Emerson, Lake, and Palmer collection and found these two omissions.

Gold Knight

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2012, 06:46:02 AM
Bought last night:

I was looking through my Emerson, Lake, and Palmer collection and found these two omissions.

@ John, Those are truly great albums. They are two of my all-time favorites from one of my favorite British prog rock group. Indeed, on their first American tour in the early Seventies, I saw them perform their first album and part of Tarkus live at Carnegie Hall; I am still blown away at the memory of Carl Palmer's outrageous drumming!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gold Knight on May 21, 2012, 07:31:11 PM
@ John, Those are truly great albums. They are two of my all-time favorites from one of my favorite British prog rock group. Indeed, on their first American tour in the early Seventies, I saw them perform their first album and part of Tarkus live at Carnegie Hall; I am still blown away at the memory of Carl Palmer's outrageous drumming!

The idea of seeing them in their heyday sounds like a dream to me. They are, in my estimate, one of the finest trios in rock history. The only other trios that come close to their originality, in my opinion, are Rush and the Police. :)

Gold Knight

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2012, 07:35:24 PM
The idea of seeing them in their heyday sounds like a dream to me. They are, in my estimate, one of the finest trios in rock history. The only other trios that come close to their originality, in my opinion, are Rush and the Police. :)

John, You are so right! The memory of that ELP concert I will keep and cherish until the day I die.

Conor71

Ordered these today :) :

Mirror Image

Just bought:

[asin]B004G6TD66[/asin]

[asin]B004G6TCMQ[/asin]

My Dad owns all of ELP's recordings, but he doesn't own these newest remasters, so I've been buying them for myself. 8)

Gold Knight

@ John, Those are two of their best, IMHO. At the Carnegie Hall concert cited by me earlier, I saw/heard them do the entire first album in its entirety {that's the bottom one in your picture}. I couldn't be more thrilled for you if this is your first go round with these albums! Please let me know what you think of them, especially the work Just Take a Pebble from the first album; seeing them doing it live, I still get goosebumps   remembering how very hauntingly beautiful and moving that performance was.

Gold Knight

On order from Amazon:

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gold Knight on May 25, 2012, 02:07:48 PM
@ John, Those are two of their best, IMHO. At the Carnegie Hall concert cited by me earlier, I saw/heard them do the entire first album in its entirety {that's the bottom one in your picture}. I couldn't be more thrilled for you if this is your first go round with these albums! Please let me know what you think of them, especially the work Just Take a Pebble from the first album; seeing them doing it live, I still get goosebumps   remembering how very hauntingly beautiful and moving that performance was.

Steve, again, I'm so envious of you! Seeing Brain Salad Surgery in it's entirety live would be an incredible experience. By the way, I've heard ALL of ELP's albums multiple times, but the ones I listened to the most are the ones I've bought: Tarkus, Brain Salad Surgery, Trilogy and their self-titled album. What self-respecting prog fan hasn't heard these albums?!?!? In the mid-90s, I used to put Brain Salad Surgery on loop many a night. 8)

71 dB

Carly Simon - Live From Martha's Vineyard DVD

[asin]B003A0TFP8[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Geo Dude