Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gold Knight on September 07, 2012, 06:27:41 PM
Ordered from Amazon this afternoon: The Cannonball Adderley Sextet in New York

That's a great recording. I love Cannonball Adderley. Own most of his recordings. Swinging stuff.

Gold Knight

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2012, 07:19:42 PM
That's a great recording. I love Cannonball Adderley. Own most of his recordings. Swinging stuff.

You're so right,  John. I, too have a lot of his work, both early stuff and later with Zawinul. He was truly a great musician who died way too young.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gold Knight on September 11, 2012, 07:24:16 PM
You're so right,  John. I, too have a lot of his work, both early stuff and later with Zawinul. He was truly a great musician who died way too young.

Do you have a favorite Cannonball album? Mine would probably Them Dirty Blues. Damn fine album.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on September 12, 2012, 06:58:24 AM
Considering that the 1967 Live in Europe is relatively new, released just a few months ago, it should not really surprise you that much.     ;)    But I have been holding off ordering it since I have about half of the stuff on, umm ..., less than 100% legit versions.  It is good, but I was in no hurry; I finally pulled the trigger when the price went down and I wanted to get professional audio on what I've heard and the other stuff, as well as, the booklet.  That group is my favorite one of Miles, and this box captures them at their peak.

Quiet Nights is arguably the least good of the Miles-Gil projects.  The original release had less than 30 minutes of music, and the overall impression is somewhat of an afterthought.  Certianly not in the same league as Sketches of Spain and Porgy & Bess.

You have to realize this: I'm a huge Miles fan, but only of his bebop and big band stuff. I don't dig Bitches Brew or On The Corner or albums like that, in other words, his post-60s music. I wouldn't say his "Second Great Quintet," as they were later to be called, was my favorite group. I really don't have a favorite Miles band, but if I was pushed into a corner, I would say I liked his Kind of Blue lineup the best. I mean Bill Evans, Cannonball Adderley, Paul Chambers, Coltrane...need I say more? I also like his earlier Prestige recordings with Red Garland, Coltrane, Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones. Those were some classic sessions. Right around the time Miles kicked his heroin addition is when he seemed to be at his best creatively.

As far as the Miles/Gil Evans projects, Porgy & Bess and Miles Ahead are my favorites with Sketches of Spain and Quiet Nights trailing these two albums. I own Quiet Nights on SACD and have heard several times. I don't think it's as terrible as the critics made it out to be. It had some great music on it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on September 12, 2012, 08:29:28 AM
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.  The early bands were fantastic, and I am listening right now to a playlist I created of the pre-1960 stuff, i.e. the Prestige and Columbia sessions.  As far the Gil Evans recordings, Porgy & Bess is the one I return to most often, but I also consider th Live at Carnegie Hall with the "Kind of Blue" band a great recording.  The Second Great Quintet is the music I always listen to, and I really like the transitional records to Bitches Brew, i.e. Miles in the Sky and Filles de Kilimanjaro.

I have created playlists of all these periods - and do like much of the electric Miles, Bitches Brew I listen to a fair amount, and In a Silent Way is great, imo.  For sure, this is music for a different mood than the earlier Miles - but until the 1980s, when I found the quality of the music to drop off, I can say that I enjoy all of the various periods Miles documented on record.

I own ALL of Miles' discography, except for that new box set that you and I bought. I remember enjoying Miles Smiles a lot from his Second Great Quintet. I need to listen to this period more as I think there is some good music here. Yeah, those transitional recordings Miles made have always been interesting. One of my all-time favorite transitional Miles albums is Seven Steps To Heaven. This is a fine album that I think doesn't get enough praise. I believe this was last album he made before completely reforming the new quintet. As for his post-bebop music, In A Silent Way was a good album I agree, but I'm generally in disapproval of most of these albums because all they sound like are jam sessions. I like music that has a direction and his early music always seemed to be going somewhere.

DavidW

I had to go up to nearby bigger city today, so I stopped in Best Buy.

[asin]B000002UJQ[/asin]

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2012, 03:18:34 PM
I had to go up to nearby bigger city today, so I stopped in Best Buy.

[asin]B000002UJQ[/asin]

To me, that one's a million times better than Pablo Honey. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best albums ever made, IMO.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Bogey

Quote from: sanantonio on September 12, 2012, 06:58:24 AM
Considering that the 1967 Live in Europe is relatively new, released just a few months ago, it should not really surprise you that much.     ;)    But I have been holding off ordering it since I have about half of the stuff on, umm ..., less than 100% legit versions.  It is good, but I was in no hurry; I finally pulled the trigger when the price went down and I wanted to get professional audio on what I've heard and the other stuff, as well as, the booklet. That group is my favorite one of Miles, and this box captures them at their peak.

Quiet Nights is arguably the least good of the Miles-Gil projects.  The original release had less than 30 minutes of music, and the overall impression is somewhat of an afterthought.  Certianly not in the same league as Sketches of Spain and Porgy & Bess.

That is why I have waited on the Stockholm set.  I just need to buy it and be done with my nonsense.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 11, 2012, 07:28:50 PM
Do you have a favorite Cannonball album? Mine would probably Them Dirty Blues. Damn fine album.

C-Ball is underrated and underplayed.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 13, 2012, 03:34:58 PM
To me, that one's a million times better than Pablo Honey. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best albums ever made, IMO.

Cool beans.  I'll let you know what I think when I listen to it.

btw George thanks to you and a former gmger, I tracked down a better remastering of Stones' Sticky Fingers.  It is a shame that they had to compress the dynamic range so much.

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2012, 05:23:17 PM
Cool beans.  I'll let you know what I think when I listen to it.

8)

Quotebtw George thanks to you and a former gmger, I tracked down a better remastering of Stones' Sticky Fingers.  It is a shame that they had to compress the dynamic range so much.

Oh, I thought I had sent you one.

DavidW

Yeah you did George, but I have a policy of deleting borrowed music after listening to it a few times (to keep me honest).  What you sent was obviously much better than what I had.

Mirror Image

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2012, 05:37:04 PM
Yeah you did George, but I have a policy of deleting borrowed music after listening to it a few times (to keep me honest).  What you sent was obviously much better than what I had.

So did you get that early nineties Virgin remaster?

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 13, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
So did you get that early nineties Virgin remaster?

Yup it cost $20 but it is worth it.  What you sent me was a vinyl transfer right?

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 13, 2012, 05:59:52 PM
Yup it cost $20 but it is worth it.  What you sent me was a vinyl transfer right?

Yes, and IMO it beats all (4) CD masterings. Same for Exile on Main Street.

Bogey

MI and San, you are both spot on.  C-Ball's solo albums are fantastic.  I have nine on the shelf and love 'em all.  Not sure if he was the one to have invited Miles to sit in on Somethin' Else (incredible album), but that is like being John Paxson for the Chicago Bulls inviting his friend Michael Jordan to his retirement dinner and wondering why the focus was no longer on him.  If you invite Miles to your party, it's no longer your party.  Does not mean that your not talented, but rather, you are just not Miles.

And thank you for raising your hand on the Kind of Blue album, MI. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2012, 07:33:42 PM
MI and San, you are both spot on.  C-Ball's solo albums are fantastic.  I have nine on the shelf and love 'em all.  Not sure if he was the one to have invited Miles to sit in on Somethin' Else (incredible album), but that is like being John Paxson for the Chicago Bulls inviting his friend Michael Jordan to his retirement dinner and wondering why the focus was no longer on him.  If you invite Miles to your party, it's no longer your party.  Does not mean that your not talented, but rather, you are just not Miles.

And thank you for raising your hand on the Kind of Blue album, MI.

That's true, Bill. You invite Miles Davis to record with you. You no longer are in control. That's just the way Miles was you know. He could walk into a room and suddenly everybody would stop what they're doing. He just had such a commanding presence. It's funny that we're talking about this because I was just reminded of the story of when Miles and Monk recorded together on the album Bags' Groove. Miles DID NOT WANT Monk comping for him during his solo on that title track. If you listen to that tune, Monk is nowhere to be found during Miles' solo. I don't know what Miles had against Monk but Miles later remarked in an interview that he thought Monk was "a sweet man." Miles was sometimes an asshole like that. I guess he was afraid that Monk would hog the spotlight, but I think this couldn't be any further from the truth. Monk was a very gracious bandleader as was Miles.

Bogey

Agreed.  Didn't Monk want to knock him out after a Newport Festival and Miles backed down....something like that.  Miles had more cool in his pinky than most of the musicians pf the day had in their entirety.  Unfortunately, Miles knew this more than anyone else.  Loved is autobio by the way.  I never laughed so hard reading a book in my life.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2012, 07:49:18 PM
Agreed.  Didn't Monk want to knock him out after a Newport Festival and Miles backed down....something like that.  Miles had more cool in his pinky than most of the musicians pf the day had in their entirety.  Unfortunately, Miles knew this more than anyone else.  Loved is autobio by the way.  I never laughed so hard reading a book in my life.

I don't know, but that sounds about right. Miles was a jerk, but he was the kind of jerk that could get away with saying pretty much anything he wanted because he was cool like you said. He would just put on his shades and light one up. The embodiment of coolness.  8)