Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 13, 2012, 06:15:07 PM
Yes, and IMO it beats all (4) CD masterings. Same for Exile on Main Street.

When I was grocery shopping I saw Exile on Main Street in the bargain bin.  What a find!  Someone also thought so as well and took it out of my cart, I didn't notice until I was at checkout. >:(

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 14, 2012, 04:00:37 AM
When I was grocery shopping I saw Exile on Main Street in the bargain bin.  What a find!  Someone also thought so as well and took it out of my cart, I didn't notice until I was at checkout. >:(

That sucks!

For Exile, I suggest getting the original mastering. Copies are dirt cheap on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00008FROE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 14, 2012, 04:08:03 AM
That sucks!

For Exile, I suggest getting the original mastering. Copies are dirt cheap on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00008FROE/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Thanks!  What mastering do you rec for Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet?

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 14, 2012, 09:39:42 AM
Thanks!  What mastering do you rec for Let It Bleed and Beggars Banquet?

I prefer the original (and rare) London CD for eachn but the in print remasters are excellent, I just don't like the mild to moderate compression used. I think you'll be very happy with them, though, especially if you like the 92 Virgin remaster of Sticky Fingers. With Beggars, they fixed a speed issue in the remaster (it's a bit faster than the London.) It's not that noticable either way, but the remaster has the correct speed and uses a superior source (I think the master tape.)

DavidW

So it's really just really Sticky Fingers and Exile that got the raw deal on the latest remasters... what did they have different engineers for different albums?

What about Aftermath Ernie?  What is your fav release there?

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 14, 2012, 04:12:24 PM
So it's really just really Sticky Fingers and Exile that got the raw deal on the latest remasters... what did they have different engineers for different albums?

I think things are confused a bit here. The tricky thing is that there is two divisions of the RS catalog:

1. All Albums Pre-Sticky Fingers - "The Abkco Years" - current, in print remasters are very good (though I prefer the rare, old London masterings) and most people will like them. I believe they used the master tapes for these remasters and they were done with loving care. They fixed the speed on at least one release (Beggars Banquet.) The early releases of these masterings also had a SACD layer (I have the complete set) and are housed in those digpacs.

2. Sticky Fingers and after - "The Virgin Years" - all of the current remasters are super compressed, the prior Virgin remasters are a lot better, but still a bit too compressed for me (I prefer the original Rolling Stones Records CDs for these years, as they are not hyper compressed at all and sound natural to me. They are super cheap and very easy to find.) 

QuoteWhat about Aftermath Ernie?  What is your fav release there?

As this is an Abkco years title, the current, in print mastering should make most people happy. (and again, I prefer the London CD here.)

DavidW

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2012, 05:02:20 AM
Thanks George now I understand! :)

Cool! Let me know how things work out and if you want to hear some samples before buying. I have every mastering of Exile and both masterings of Aftermath.

DavidW

If I buy the UK Aftermath, how do I get Paint It Black?

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 15, 2012, 06:03:11 AM
If I buy the UK Aftermath, how do I get Paint It Black?

Either in Hot Rocks or Through The Past Darkly.

This site has a ton of info on the CD masterings of the abkco years stuff: http://lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

A purchase inspired by MI's Big Band thread: 24 songs from the 40s and 50s performed by Les Brown and His Band of Renown, remastered by Dutton.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 18, 2012, 04:04:53 AM
A purchase inspired by MI's Big Band thread: 24 songs from the 40s and 50s performed by Les Brown and His Band of Renown, remastered by Dutton.

Sarge

My grandfather is huge fan of Les Brown. Let me know what you think of that recording. Interesting sidenote: my grandfather led his own swing band in the early '60s. They were called The Modernaires. My Dad even sat in with them and was a featured soloist on many occasions.

DavidW

Rolling Stones:

[asin]B00006AW2J[/asin]

And a bunch of stuff from the 80s that I probably shouldn't embarrass myself by posting! :D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2012, 05:01:10 PM

And a bunch of stuff from the 80s that I probably shouldn't embarrass myself by posting! :D

:D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 22, 2012, 05:01:10 PM

That's no fun!!  >:(

Now (proudly) playing:

DavidW

Quote from: George on September 23, 2012, 06:27:04 AM
That's no fun!!  >:(

Okay but don't laugh at me... my full bargain bin purchases which actually are a wider range than 80s...

[asin]B000002LGY[/asin]
[asin]B000002KKD[/asin]
[asin]B007RRFUHM[/asin] (I had this on mp3 before)
[asin]B000002GWX[/asin]
[asin]B005QJZ5FA[/asin] (I had this on mp3 before)
[asin]B000002JSJ[/asin] (I had this on mp3 before)
[asin]B000002NJS[/asin]
[asin]B000003TAB[/asin]
[asin]B00005J6SZ[/asin]
[asin]B00005J6T0[/asin]

I've been obsessed with B-52s and Madonna of late as you can tell. ;D  that looks more like equal 80s and 90s with a splash of 70s come to think of it.

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2012, 06:44:34 AM
Okay but don't laugh at me... my full bargain bin purchases which actually are a wider range than 80s...
I've been obsessed with B-52s and Madonna of late as you can tell. ;D  that looks more like equal 80s and 90s with a splash of 70s come to think of it.

Shake your honey buns!!!  :D

I have all those CDs on my shelves (except the two recent albums.)

I love the first few Madonna albums, now, but I didn't like them back in the day. 

Did you see Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels? When the thug was arguing about early Madonna? Priceless.

DavidW

When I was a kid I liked Madonna, and then later I didn't and now I do again! :D  I think the thing is that I hear traces of Madonna in some current artists, but Madonna is better and it made me re-appreciate her music.

It's been along time since I've seen that movie, I should see if I can find that scene on youtube.

George

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2012, 11:55:18 AM
When I was a kid I liked Madonna, and then later I didn't and now I do again! :D  I think the thing is that I hear traces of Madonna in some current artists, but Madonna is better and it made me re-appreciate her music.

It's been along time since I've seen that movie, I should see if I can find that scene on youtube.

Haha, I tried already and came up with nothing. That movie is well worth seeing again.