Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: DavidW on August 10, 2013, 08:25:09 AM
I ordered an Onkyo cd player, which officially makes me insane! ;D [since I have a blu-ray player]

I had been tired of the long loading delay and hoop jumping of using a bd player for music for quite awhile.  I'm no audiophile and don't expect to sound difference, it is just for convenience, ease of use, not hearing a noisy transport, not needing to have the tv on to get all relevant info, and ability to play scratched discs better.

[asin]B004UR487A[/asin]

btw several months ago I upgraded my speakers.  What I didn't say is that the experience of listening to them is so much better that I never use headphones, no iphone or computer listening anymore.  The hifi is the only thing I like (well that is a distant second to live concerts).

That's a cheap price for a decent CD player.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Geo Dude

Quote from: North Star on August 09, 2013, 03:58:09 AM
Good day, Olivier! That's one of the first Jazz discs I bought, and a great one.

Same here.  Hard to think of a better introduction to jazz, and it holds up well during repeat listening.

RE that Onkyo player:  I too have one and it's been impressive to me.  On the other hand, it's part of my first hi-fi rig so I am a bit biased.;)

DavidW

Cool Sarge, Geo Dude and George! :)  Looks like I bought a keeper then.

It's funny Sarge that in your pic I can see that cd player, a Denon amp and a Polk Audio speaker.  My setup will feature the same player, and currently has a Denon receiver and Polk Audio speakers. ;D

The new erato

I ordered this:

[asin]B0080R7Q4S[/asin]

The Complete Original Mahavishnu Orchestra Columbia Albums Collection

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 09, 2013, 03:17:14 AM
Another Jazz CD I enjoyed sampling :

[asin]B00BXK0PQ0[/asin]

You inspired me, Papy  :)  I had no Sonny Rollins in my collection. Bought this box which includes Saxophone Collossus.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 12, 2013, 03:38:51 AM
You inspired me, Papy  :)  I had no Sonny Rollins in my collection. Bought this box which includes Saxophone Collossus.

Sarge
You'll also want The Bridge.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: North Star on August 12, 2013, 04:13:55 AM
You'll also want The Bridge.

Do you know if the 2013 remaster is worth the extra Euro? It's double the price of the 2001 release. There's also a cheap 2 CD with the same title? Which to buy?

http://www.amazon.de/Bridge-Rollins-Sonny/dp/B00C1Y7HTK/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376309730&sr=1-5&keywords=sonny+rollins+the+bridge

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 12, 2013, 04:20:26 AM
Do you know if the 2013 remaster is worth the extra Euro? It's double the price of the 2001 release. There's also a cheap 2 CD with the same title? Which to buy?

http://www.amazon.de/Bridge-Rollins-Sonny/dp/B00C1Y7HTK/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1376309730&sr=1-5&keywords=sonny+rollins+the+bridge

Sarge
Sorry, no - I only own the 2000 release, which sounds very fine to me. http://www.amazon.de/Bridge-Rollins-Sonny/dp/B00004ZD5S/

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Just bought:

[asin]B002ZG9846[/asin]

I've heard nothing but good things about this movie. So we'll see if I'm going to enjoy it or not.

Sergeant Rock

Arrived this afternoon: Sonny Rollins The Bridge, recommended by North Star

Sarge

North Star

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 15, 2013, 05:44:25 AM
Arrived this afternoon: Sonny Rollins The Bridge, recommended by North Star

Sarge
I hope you'll like it!
Quote from: sanantonio on August 15, 2013, 05:50:45 AM
Classic.  But you can close your eyes and pick a Sonny Rollins CD out of a bag and usually end up with a classic.

I like Freedom Suite, Live at the Village Vanguard (both with piano-less trios) and most of the Prestige records.  As a bass player I would often buy a CD because of who was the bassist.  Wilbur Ware played with Rollins on the Village Vanguard recordings - really really good stuff.
Yep, the Village Vanguard recording is very good stuff indeed.

My photographs on Flickr

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: sanantonio on August 15, 2013, 05:50:45 AM
Classic.  But you can close your eyes and pick a Sonny Rollins CD out of a bag and usually end up with a classic.

Enjoy.

I like Freedom Suite, Live at the Village Vanguard (both with piano-less trios) and most of the Prestige records.  As a bass player I would often buy a CD because of who was the bassist.  Wilbur Ware played with Rollins on the Village Vanguard recordings - really really good stuff.

Thank you for the recommendations. I'll keep them in mind for future purchases. In the meantime, I have nine Rollins' albums to digest  8)

Sarge

Gold Knight

From Amazon, two days ago:

The Doobie Brothers--Living On The Fault Line/Minute by Minute and Taking It To The Streets
Cream--The Very Best Of Cream

Gold Knight

kishnevi

From a visit to Barnes and Noble that also yielded Bartoli and Mahler:
[asin]B00BX8TZZY[/asin]
Heard of this Israeli musician but hadn't heard him before; this is a new release.
Technically a world music album, with musicians from all over (including one track with Andreas Scholl),  but would, if the lyrics were English language,  fit comfortably on any American "soft jazz" slot.  (Most of the songs have Hebrew lyrics, but there is at least one each in Portuguese, French, Arabic, and German--the latter being a 17th century poem partly rewritten, adapted, expanded, or updated by Scholl,  who is the singer for that track).
[asin]B00005614N[/asin]
Currently awaiting a first listen, but high probability of success.  Apparently this is a music only edition of a previous release that contained artist conversations.

kishnevi

Paid a visit to the used CD store today and came up with:
Louis Armstrong--Some Kind of Wonderful (apparently a compilation CD)
Norman Granz: Jazz at the Philharmonic---Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
on a label called Pablo Records/fantasyjazz.com: concert performances from Berlin (1965) and Paris (1967)
Charles Mingus/Mingus Ah Um
Miles Davis/Kind of Blue
Thelonious Monk/Live at the It Club-Complete

The last three are all reissues of the originals with extra tracks (some of it merely out takes or alternative takes in the case of Davis) and (in the case of Monk) restored versions of the original songs which were edited for the original LP release.  There's enough extra material to make 2 CDs of the Davis and of the Monk (which was originally issued as 2 LPs);  all three re-issues were part of a series from Columbia called "Legacy".

HIPster

Nice haul there, Jeffrey!

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 19, 2013, 05:52:38 PM
Paid a visit to the used CD store today and came up with:
Louis Armstrong--Some Kind of Wonderful (apparently a compilation CD)
Norman Granz: Jazz at the Philharmonic---Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
on a label called Pablo Records/fantasyjazz.com: concert performances from Berlin (1965) and Paris (1967)
Charles Mingus/Mingus Ah Um
Miles Davis/Kind of Blue
Thelonious Monk/Live at the It Club-Complete

The last three are all reissues of the originals with extra tracks (some of it merely out takes or alternative takes in the case of Davis) and (in the case of Monk) restored versions of the original songs which were edited for the original LP release.  There's enough extra material to make 2 CDs of the Davis and of the Monk (which was originally issued as 2 LPs);  all three re-issues were part of a series from Columbia called "Legacy".
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

kishnevi

Paid a visit to the bargain bins at Barnes and Noble after dinner, came away with these (for a grand total of $28.36 including tax!)
Miles Davis: Nefertiti
Miles Davis: Seven Steps to Heaven
Miles Davis: Round About Midnight
Dave Brubeck Quartet: Time Further Out
Afro Cuban All Stars: A Toda Cuba le Gusta