Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 26, 2013, 09:26:42 AM
Nice...and I like your new avatar too  8)

Sarge

I had a gift certificate to Acoustic Sounds.  I always wait to place vinyl orders when I feel safe that the temp will not be too hot so they do not melt on the doorstep.

The av is worth 4 million. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

HIPster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 26, 2013, 09:26:42 AM
Nice...and I like your new avatar too  8)

Sarge

+1 on the vinyl from Acoustic Sounds!

And another +1 on the avatar too.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Octave

.[asin]B000FA55X2[/asin]
Burial: s/t (Hyperdub)

[asin]B0007GFFZM[/asin]
Duke Ellington: VOLUME 1, 1926-1929 - MRS. CLINKSCALES' TO THE COTTON CLUB (JSP, 4cd)

[asin]B00CL42YZW[/asin]
Duke Ellington: THE DUKE AT FARGO 1940 (Storyville, 2cd)
This has only been available 'new'/direct as CDRs for a while, but was reissued as real CDs earlier this year.

[asin]B008XNPNBW[/asin]
Louis Armstrong: SATCHMO AT SYMPHONY HALL (Verve, 2cd, 2012)
Hat-tip, Bōg.

[asin]B00001ZWLP[/asin]
Louis Armstrong: THE HOT FIVES AND SEVENS (JSP, 4cd - John R.T. Davies tranfers)
To replace my thrashed old Columbia discs from the nice looking but completely unprotective "book" edition; no idea why I didn't move those into a folder.

[asin]B0007ODLCS[/asin]
Townes Van Zandt: TEXAS TROUBADOUR (Snapper, 4cd)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Bogey

Quote from: Octave on November 26, 2013, 09:16:43 PM

[asin]B00CL42YZW[/asin]
Duke Ellington: THE DUKE AT FARGO 1940 (Storyville, 2cd)
This has only been available 'new'/direct as CDRs for a while, but was reissued as real CDs earlier this year.

[asin]B008XNPNBW[/asin]
Louis Armstrong: SATCHMO AT SYMPHONY HALL (Verve, 2cd, 2012)
Hat-tip, Bōg.

[asin]B00001ZWLP[/asin]
Louis Armstrong: THE HOT FIVES AND SEVENS (JSP, 4cd - John R.T. Davies tranfers)
To replace my thrashed old Columbia discs from the nice looking but completely unprotective "book" edition; no idea why I didn't move those into a folder.

Fargo is good....let me know if you think it is better than that.

Do not own this Satch set.  Been on my wishlist in different forms for a few years it seems, so please report.

Possibly your best jazz purchase....ever. 8)  Possibly.

Bogey

They got me with one of their adds....about a $1/month, so not bad...Has all the listings, but some nice articles and movie trivia.

Fafner

"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

North Star

Quote from: Fafner on December 03, 2013, 11:19:30 AM

That's a nice whiskey, nothing fancy, but easy to drink.

Got this one some time ago myself, good stuff. :)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Fafner

Quote from: North Star on December 03, 2013, 11:40:41 AM
That's a nice whiskey, nothing fancy, but easy to drink.

Got this one some time ago myself, good stuff. :)

Now Laphroaig is really something else.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Octave

[asin]B00F30S0Y0[/asin]
Arcade Fire: REFLEKTOR (2013)
Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!Hype!
But some brief sampling surprised me and made me think I might dig it, and I found a cheap copy.  Rinaldo seemed to think that there was enough good stuff to carry it...

[asin]B0000029DD[/asin]
Jeff Buckley: GRACE (1994)
The last time I heard this, years ago, I got totally fed up with the caterwauling/histrionics; but I've been assured by very talented friend that even the live """qawwali""" stuff was awesome and that JB had heavenly pipes, so I decided to just acquire and live with the thing.  Finally getting around to it.
I do think it's really neat that he used Gary Lucas on this record.

[asin]B000WBZ5SO[/asin]
THE VAL LEWTON HORROR COLLECTION
This is the 6-disc edition, which in addition to the five discs containing nine films and a documentary, includes another discs with Kent Jones' Lewton doc.  I rarely ever buy DVDs, but seeing all these for a second time just bowled me over.  I still cannot place the personal appeal of the movies, but I think they are great....inexplicably moving.

kishnevi

Actually ordered this over the weekend with a 30% off coupon Barnes and Noble offered for Black Friday.

Henk

[asin]B005BY8MSM[/asin]
[asin]B000002LCS[/asin]
[asin]B002ELM5HY[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: Octave on December 03, 2013, 10:32:28 PM

[asin]B000WBZ5SO[/asin]
THE VAL LEWTON HORROR COLLECTION
This is the 6-disc edition, which in addition to the five discs containing nine films and a documentary, includes another discs with Kent Jones' Lewton doc.  I rarely ever buy DVDs, but seeing all these for a second time just bowled me over.  I still cannot place the personal appeal of the movies, but I think they are great....inexplicably moving.

You are cool!

Henk

Some more Cooder:

[asin]B00E6887H0[/asin]
[asin]B000002KCO[/asin]
[asin]B000002KIQ[/asin]

Octave

Quote from: Bogey on December 09, 2013, 06:29:44 PM
You are cool!

Haha, I almost missed that altogether, but thanks.   8)  I also saw my first few Hammer horror flicks, just this past month.  You see I am on the cutting edge.

Duty:

[asin]B0044ZQ8R6[/asin]
Vienna Art Orchestra: THE MINIMALISM OF ERIK SATIE (hatART/Hatology)

[asin]B0023T9Y1C[/asin]
Lee Konitz & Martial Solal: STAR EYES 1983 (hatART/Hatology)

I've been meaning to hear this for ages and never gotten around to it.  Thom Jurek of Allmusic gives it wild praise.  (For years I thought of Jurek as the Hurwitzer of online jazz criticism, but that implies both the bad and the good.  In so many cases I really concur with his taste and sometimes his argumentation, plus he seems like a curious and literate guy....even on Twitter, the once I checked.)
Quote from: Thom JurekDespite the many recordings Lee Konitz has made either as a leader or as a sideman -- they number well over 100 -- there is no date, with possible exceptions of Motion and Lone-Lee, that can touch this live duet setting for breaking new ground.  Given his apprenticeship with Lennie Tristano, Konitz is well-known for his melodic improvising and his ability to re-conceptualize a tune. But what happens here, with Martial Solal's dramatic, often theatrical style of piano playing, is the extension of Konitz's own abilities to visualize inherently what is possible within a given framework. What happens on a standard like "Body and Soul" is truly startling: Solal creates a nearly orchestral backdrop of the tune's harmonic and melodic architecture, and Konitz goes looking not for another way to state it, but for something in it to move out onto the ledge of. For Konitz, on this date, the place in a tune's harmonic and melodic framework where it was most recognizable became the point of departure without any knowledge of where he would end up. Solal would carry his lines further out to lunch while remaining within the meter and rhythmic parameters of the original. But given the nearly inconceivable dexterity and musical prowess at work in Solal's playing, even these were altered while retaining their essence. On Ray Noble's "Cherokee," which closes the set, a true anthem of bebop, the pair goes deep into the tune's bluesed-out root and drags from it a skittering skein of multiple harmonies and incandescent intervals where Konitz's melodic sensibilities change the somewhat aggressive nature of the tune and make it swing along a track where its melody is turned inside out; three new skittering skeins of lyrical improvisation are introduced to Solal who structures them vertically and hands them back to Konitz to take even further before returning eventually with a radically altered but nonetheless intact version of the tune, with Solal restating the original melody and harmony to keep it honest. It's quite honestly the finest live recording of Lee Konitz that exists.

The new erato

Yes; The studio albums 1969-87. 12 CDs!

[asin]B00FAQW2RS[/asin]

Now it works John. I had an extra space in the ASIN....

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on December 19, 2013, 01:05:05 AM
Yes; The studio albums 1969-87. 12 CDs!

[asin]B00FAQW2RS
[/asin]

Link doesn't work, but nice! Yes is one of the greatest progressive rock bands and they're still playing!

kishnevi

Picked this up today at Barnes and Nobles
[asin]B0000047D4[/asin]

And this doorstopper, which is similar to the Louvre book I got last year.  Very image heavy,  but very slim on annotation, so the lesser known paintings and artists only a small image and no context. 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Vatican-Collection-Sculptures-Tapestries/dp/1579129439/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387575259&sr=8-1&keywords=Vatican+All+the+Paintings
Review

This comprehensive and heavy tome illustrates all the works of art on display in the Vatican and underscores the variety of its art, including works that popes commissioned from painters as well as works that were accumulated for art appreciation and prestige beginning in the 17th century. The book is divided into 22 sections representing the museums and areas of the Vatican. This includes the Pinacoteca (painting gallery), with paintings given to or purchased by the pops or removed from altarpieces of papal churches.  Also included are images of art from the Borgia Apartments, the famous Raphael Rooms, and Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel.  Lesser-known works are included, such as a collection of modern religious art and tapestry and maps.  The diversity of the holdings is highlighted by such collections as the Pio-Clementine Museum of early Christian Rome, the Gregorian Etruscan Museum, which houses non-Western art.  Not to be forgotten is St. Peter's Basilica and Piazz, and its art including Michelangelo's famous Pieta sculpture.

VERDICT This book, which has many beautiful color illustrations, its own slipcover, and a DVD that includes every work of art, will appeal to readers who are interested in the art of the Vatican.
(Sandra Rothenberg, Framingham State Coll. Lib., MA Library Journal)