Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

I don't know the early Elton John period (only the poppy 80's onwards and not particulary to my liking really), however the samples sounded interesting enough to give it a fair go so I ordered this set :

[asin]B00857S822[/asin]
Olivier

Bogey

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 25, 2013, 01:40:43 AM
I don't know the early Elton John period (only the poppy 80's onwards and not particulary to my liking really), however the samples sounded interesting enough to give it a fair go so I ordered this set :

[asin]B00857S822[/asin]

Some of the best listening I have encountered.  Enjoy the run.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Papy Oli on December 25, 2013, 01:40:43 AM

[asin]B00857S822[/asin]

The cream of the crop!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

The new erato

I ordered it.

[asin]B00857S822[/asin]

I'm easily led astray.

The new erato

And while I was at it, I ordered this as well:

[asin]B00F8OV4HQ[/asin]

They are practically giving it away on amazon Spain (amazon.es). 11 discs for around 21 Euros + P&P.

The new erato

I'm on a Christmas roll and also ordered this from amazon.es:

Bogey

Under the tree for me:

From one of my favorite movie composers:

and another newer favored composer:

and some oldies from a series I am putting together:

Also, this one which I have had on my list for many moons:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Octave

Quote from: Bogey on December 25, 2013, 09:39:02 AM

On Pure Pleasure wax, right?
Man, I thought I got that one on your recommendation!   $:)

Duty:

[asin]B000L43AN4[/asin]
Tom Waits: ORPHANS - BRAWLERS, BAWLERS & BASTARDS (Anti-, 3cd)

Not a bad collection at all, and I am crazy about some of the songs.  I heard that freakabilly "Lie to Me" recently and was reminded I needed to own this.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Octave on December 25, 2013, 10:29:05 PM

[asin]B000L43AN4[/asin]
Tom Waits: ORPHANS - BRAWLERS, BAWLERS & BASTARDS (Anti-, 3cd)

Not a bad collection at all, and I am crazy about some of the songs.  I heard that freakabilly "Lie to Me" recently and was reminded I needed to own this.

A good one, close to an overload of material, but some real gems for sure (What Keeps Mankind Alive, Fannin Street). How's your Waits collection, Octave? Great aspect of being a Waits fan is the enormous, and stylistically varied, amount of work he's produced.

Bogey

Quote from: Octave on December 25, 2013, 10:29:05 PM
On Pure Pleasure wax, right?
Man, I thought I got that one on your recommendation!   $:)

Duty:

No wax here.  In fact, not sure if I own any Armstrong on vinyl.  Man, that is the last thing my wallet needs me to pursue.  ;D  I believe these were my some of my recs, and it may be the Handy one that you are thinking of.  I cannot tell you why it took so long to put this one on the shelf. 

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1262.1360.html

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on December 25, 2013, 09:39:02 AM

[asin]B0012GMYEG[/asin]

That one has got to be buttermilk, buttermilk, buttermilk, Bill!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Octave

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 26, 2013, 04:02:33 AM
How's your Waits collection, Octave?

It is deficient.  I had all the records from SWORDFISHTROMBONES through BLACK RIDER, though I am afraid most of those have vanished from my holdings.  For the moment, I think prefer the 80s "Brennan" turn-toward-the-weird records to the earlier stuff.  The last few (including the last two studio records) I have not heard at all!  I remember liking ALICE and BLOOD MONEY quite a bit, but I never acquired them.
I think I made the ORPHANS acquisition over others due to sentimental attachments....I was jamming it during a tough patch of life.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

SonicMan46

I have a LOT of Louis Armstrong but these later recordings from the '50s are just superb - I had the previous CD versions - both of these offerings have been re-mastered w/ extra tracks added, and now @ $6.98 each on Amazon Prime, also great bargains!  Dave :)

TheGSMoeller

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 27, 2013, 06:57:30 AM
I have a LOT of Louis Armstrong but these later recordings from the '50s are just superb - I had the previous CD versions - both of these offerings have been re-mastered w/ extra tracks added, and now @ $6.98 each on Amazon Prime, also great bargains!  Dave :)

I have gotten to the point on Armstrong that I am plugging holes. Still some Decca out there that I should snag.  Just too many cds on the wishlist at this point.  Hmmm.  Maybe that will be my music resolution.  Before the end of this year, update my wishlist and only buy from that.....of course this would exclude any vinyl purchases. ;D

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Geo Dude

Quote from: Octave on November 26, 2013, 09:16:43 PM
[asin]B0007ODLCS[/asin]
Townes Van Zandt: TEXAS TROUBADOUR (Snapper, 4cd)

!!!

Recent purchases, and a few gifts:

Gifts:

Mirror Image

I've been scrambling a bit trying to find my Dad a birthday gift (his birthday is Jan. 1st), but I finally came up with a great gift -

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue 50th Anniversary box set