Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Power Pop and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jut1972

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2014, 06:05:31 PM
Just bought some Bjork albums:

Any Bjork fans here?

2 of the best there (debut and vespertine).   Biophilia was a return to form IMHO.   The first Sugarcubes album life's to good is just brilliant. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: jut1972 on February 02, 2014, 08:22:30 AM
2 of the best there (debut and vespertine).   Biophilia was a return to form IMHO.   The first Sugarcubes album life's to good is just brilliant.

I love Post in addition to Debut. I haven't explored the rest (yet). Since making this post, I have bought Selmasongs, Medulla, Volta, Biophilia, and two live box sets (Live Box and Voltaic). Once I've explored, and absorbed, all of these recordings, I'll backtrack to her earlier work with The Sugarcubes and also check out other albums outside of her solo career.

jut1972

Fair play, when you get into something you get into it...
I wouldn't go anything pre-Sugarcubes, even as a die hard fan I find stuff like KUKL pretty ropey. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: jut1972 on February 02, 2014, 08:53:05 AM
Fair play, when you get into something you get into it...
I wouldn't go anything pre-Sugarcubes, even as a die hard fan I find stuff like KUKL pretty ropey.

You're a die-hard Bjork fan?!?!? Excellent! I hope to get to that status at some point. :)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Oh and I was able to snag an original US release of Bjork's Debut. So now I have the US release and the international release. The main different between the two besides perhaps some slightly different artwork is the international release contains a song called Play Dead which wasn't included on the US release. 8)

Marc

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 02, 2014, 10:31:05 AM
Oh and I was able to snag an original US release of Bjork's Debut. So now I have the US release and the international release. The main different between the two besides perhaps some slightly different artwork is the international release contains a song called Play Dead which wasn't included on the US release. 8)

Play Dead.

I like that one.
It's groovy.
It's a stand-still-in-the-middle-of-the-dance-floor-and-move-ur-body-nice-and-slow song.

Or something like that.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Marc on February 02, 2014, 10:46:57 AM
Play Dead.

I like that one.
It's groovy.
It's a stand-still-in-the-middle-of-the-dance-floor-and-move-ur-body-nice-and-slow song.

Or something like that.

Yeah, it's a cool little tune for sure. Surprised it wasn't issued on the US release as the US one ends with The Anchor Song, which is another cool tune.

Marc

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 02, 2014, 10:49:40 AM
Yeah, it's a cool little tune for sure. Surprised it wasn't issued on the US release as the US one ends with The Anchor Song, which is another cool tune.

I think that the US release is 'just' the original 11-track cd/vinyl issue from 1993.
Play Dead was not part of the original album and added later, after it gained some fame because of the movie The Young Americans . IIRC, the song was mixed by (the later famous) film composer David Arnold and Björk herself.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Marc on February 02, 2014, 11:04:49 AM
I think that the US release is 'just' the original 11-track cd/vinyl issue from 1993.
Play Dead was not part of the original album and added later, after it gained some fame because of the movie The Young Americans . IIRC, the song was mixed by (the later famous) film composer David Arnold and Björk herself.

Cool, Marc. I don't think I've seen The Young Americans.

kishnevi

Made a quick run to Barnes and Noble this morning on the way to work.  Result was"

Art Blakely and the Jazz Messengers:  Moanin'
Wynton Marsalis: Standard Time Vol. 2 (not that I have volume 1 yet!--h/t John/MI)
John Coltrane: Blue Train (in some sort of enhanced CD version that's titled The Ultimate Blue Train)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 02, 2014, 06:50:25 PM
Made a quick run to Barnes and Noble this morning on the way to work.  Result was"

Art Blakely and the Jazz Messengers:  Moanin'
Wynton Marsalis: Standard Time Vol. 2 (not that I have volume 1 yet!--h/t John/MI)
John Coltrane: Blue Train (in some sort of enhanced CD version that's titled The Ultimate Blue Train)

I own all of those. :) All of them are excellent. Good choice on that Marsalis album. The whole Standard Time series is definitely worth owning. I, too, own that enhanced version of Coltrane's Blue Train.

Mirror Image

Jay F

Someone else whose name starts with B and ends with K.

To be released Feb. 25.

[asin]B00HHYEOY0[/asin]

toledobass

I've always felt a hole in my library and listening depth for not having heard all of the albums, so went ahead and got the box.  Now, I wonder,  do I bulldoze through or do I create or wait for the perfect moment, when the stars align, to listen to each disk, even if that means it takes a long time.  hmmmmm.

[asin]B002BSHWUU[/asin]

A

George

^
I found it interesting to listen through the set chronologically.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

toledobass

I'll for sure go through chronologically, but not sure what pace yet.  Sometimes I'll just blast through a catalogue, but sometimes I like to make sure I'm really making space to take in the recording, but that takes some doing sometimes, but I think it'd be worth it with an important catalogue like this.

George

Quote from: toledobass on February 06, 2014, 05:29:21 PM
I'll for sure go through chronologically, but not sure what pace yet.  Sometimes I'll just blast through a catalogue, but sometimes I like to make sure I'm really making space to take in the recording, but that takes some doing sometimes, but I think it'd be worth it with an important catalogue like this.

A

Sure, and I am sure you already know much of it.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: toledobass on February 06, 2014, 04:55:28 PM
I've always felt a hole in my library and listening depth for not having heard all of the albums, so went ahead and got the box.  Now, I wonder,  do I bulldoze through or do I create or wait for the perfect moment, when the stars align, to listen to each disk, even if that means it takes a long time.  hmmmmm.

[asin]B002BSHWUU[/asin]

A

I think it's best to go slowly through The Beatles' catalog. You really should get to know all of these albums slowly. I made the mistake of going too fast through either a composer's oeuvre or a band's entire discography only to find that I really don't know this music well at all. I'm starting to feel now that it's best to take things a bit slower and really absorb all of these individual sound-worlds. 8) This said, I really hope you enjoy these recordings. My favorite Beatles album is probably Sgt. Pepper's. I really felt they were pushing themselves into completely unknown territory.

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on February 06, 2014, 04:55:28 PM

[asin]B002BSHWUU[/asin]

A

Man, mix 'em up, grab one, and play it for a week straight.  That's what I do now that my son has taken over my Beatles collection.  I will pop my head in the room at 5 A.M and ask for one for the car.  Without looking he will snap one off the shelf and toss it my way.  Never been disappointed. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz