[asin]B00GJ7ROV6[/asin]

[asin]B00GJ7ROZW[/asin]

[asin]B00GJ7RP10[/asin]

[asin]B00GJ7RP4C[/asin]

[asin]B00GJ7RORU[/asin]

[asin]B00GJ7RP2O[/asin]

[asin]B00GJ7ROVG[/asin]

kishnevi

I wonder how many other bands could have gotten away with such a self referential title.  Suggests they were so busy being the world's biggest pop phenoms they didn't have time to deal with petty details such as LP titles.

kishnevi

And my own contribution for the day cames from the sales bins of Barnes and Noble.  One can build a high quality, albeit basic (and with much use of compilations) from that source alone.
Today's haul was one Marsalis, two Coltranes, two Evans, and two Miles:

Wynton Marsalis, Standard Time (Vol. 1)
John Coltrane: Stardust
John Coltrane: Giant Steps
Bill Evans Quintet:  Interplay
Bill Evans: California Here I Come
Miles Davis Quintet: Steamin' with Miles Davis Quintet
Miles Davis: In A Silent Way

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 07, 2014, 04:21:48 PM
And my own contribution for the day cames from the sales bins of Barnes and Noble.  One can build a high quality, albeit basic (and with much use of compilations) from that source alone.
Today's haul was one Marsalis, two Coltranes, two Evans, and two Miles:

Wynton Marsalis, Standard Time (Vol. 1)
John Coltrane: Stardust
John Coltrane: Giant Steps
Bill Evans Quintet:  Interplay
Bill Evans: California Here I Come
Miles Davis Quintet: Steamin' with Miles Davis Quintet
Miles Davis: In A Silent Way

Great haul, Jeffrey! I especially love the Bill Evans and Miles' recordings. Steamin' is some classic Miles.

Jay F

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 07, 2014, 04:17:36 PM

I wonder how many other bands could have gotten away with such a self referential title.  Suggests they were so busy being the world's biggest pop phenoms they didn't have time to deal with petty details such as LP titles.
The Beatles didn't name this album. Capitol Records threw it together for US release in April of 1964, with songs from their first couple of UK albums. My dad got it for me for my birthday that year.

kishnevi

Quote from: Jay F on February 08, 2014, 04:31:39 AM
The Beatles didn't name this album. Capitol Records threw it together for US release in April of 1964, with songs from their first couple of UK albums. My dad got it for me for my birthday that year.

So not only is it a total failure of imagination on the part of Capitol's marketing people, it's not even accurate!

Thread duty:
While searching for (and not finding) the Beatles set featured upthread at ImportCDs, I stumbled over this, and could not resist, although I actually got it off Amazon MP, even though the group is totally unknown to me: Hasidic New Wave Complete Recordings
[asin]B009ERJYKC[/asin]

toledobass

Grand opening for a new new record shop here this weekend, so I stopped in and did my part to give them some support.  It's a beautiful place:

http://www.hillanddalerecords.com/

[asin]B007IHH39Y[/asin]  [asin]B0084GOQSO[/asin]

[asin]B00BGGIW2K[/asin] [asin]B00133KHFQ[/asin]

Allan

Mirror Image

Bought these two prog rock goodies:

jut1972

Catching up on some mozzer ...

[asin]B0001XLXHK[/asin]
had this and lost it somewhere...

[asin]B00H3T4MX2[/asin]
a new remastered version, some of the comments on previous remasters werent great but the complete Smiths one was a good un so hoping this is in the same league

[asin]B001NPUGX2[/asin]

George

Wow a remaster of Refusal? That was sure fast!!

I love Morrissey, by the way.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

jut1972

Sorry it's the your arsenal that's remastered

George

Quote from: jut1972 on February 12, 2014, 10:50:00 AM
Sorry it's the your arsenal that's remastered

Ok, it's an amazing album.

Octave

.[asin]B000002IQU[/asin]
THE COMPLETE STAX/VOLT SINGLES 1959-1968 (Atlantic, 9cd, 1991)

[asin]B000006NUW[/asin]
HITSVILLE U.S.A.: THE MOTOWN SINGLES COLLECTION 1959-1971 (4cd, 1992/2009)
I got the 2009 reissue, which is enclosed in a mini-hardbound-book arrangement with booklet permanently attached and discs "layered" into these weird plastic hooks, similar to Sony's most recent budget reissues of the various Miles Davis ~6-disc sets.  Once I got the hang of removing them, it wasn't an issue; but those thinking of acquiring this set might wish to know about it.  I'm assuming the original release had separate jewel-cases and book.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Octave

One more----more remedial single-gathering:

[asin]B000001FZA[/asin]
Hank Williams: THE ORIGINAL SINGLES COLLECTION (3cd, 1991)
There's also a nice-looking 4cd from Proper which includes a disc of some of the 'Health & Happiness' recordings, but I heard some uncomplimentary things about those transfers; also I am not sure how much overlap there is between these two sets.
I've run across two comments favoring the transfers from this 3cd even over the large ~OOP Mercury 10cd "complete" (sic?) set.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

jut1972

After reading an interview with Stephen Street about the remastering I had to buy this.... (again)
[asin]B0079043MU[/asin]

George

Quote from: jut1972 on February 24, 2014, 11:52:19 AM
After reading an interview with Stephen Street about the remastering I had to buy this.... (again)
[asin]B0079043MU[/asin]

Shame it isn't viva dynamics.  >:(

jut1972

Bugger.   Isn't the sound up to much?  I read that Stephen Street wanted to avoid the loudness wars type of remaster.

George

Quote from: jut1972 on February 25, 2014, 04:34:29 AM
Bugger.   Isn't the sound up to much?  I read that Stephen Street wanted to avoid the loudness wars type of remaster.

They used compression on the remaster, something I don't like. I guess SS meant that they didn't excessively use it?

Henk

Samples sound great, so I purchased:

[asin]B00GPPSJIO[/asin]

The album can be listened here:
http://marcosanguinetti.bandcamp.com/album/8
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)