Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on May 26, 2014, 09:56:25 AM
Good one!

Indeed! Again, my dad owns this one and I remember enjoying it when it came out.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2014, 10:03:43 AM
Indeed! Again, my dad owns this one and I remember enjoying it when it came out.

I really enjoy the Fripp>Belew>Gunn>Mastelotto line-up. They put out two fine albums imo, both among my favorites.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Mirror Image

Quote from: NJ Joe on May 26, 2014, 10:09:46 AM
I really enjoy the Fripp>Belew>Gunn>Mastelotto line-up. They put out two fine albums imo, both among my favorites.

Yes, they're very good, but my favorite Crimson lineup still remains: Fripp, Wetton, Cross, and Bruford.

king ubu

Gilson et Malagasy (Jazzman, 4 CD)
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mirror Image

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 29, 2014, 07:19:01 PM
Just bought:

CSLewis novelized the story of Cupid and Psyche, told from the POV of her sisters, with that title.  Wonder if Hackett intended a connection.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 29, 2014, 07:52:46 PM
CS Lewis novelized the story of Cupid and Psyche, told from the POV of her sisters, with that title.  Wonder if Hackett intended a connection.

I believe Hackett is a fan of Lewis' writings, so I'm sure there is, Jeffrey.

71 dB

Just ordered the last Tom Baker story missing in my collection:

[asin]B00BPCNO00[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Moonfish

Quote from: 71 dB on June 02, 2014, 11:18:06 AM
Just ordered the last Tom Baker story missing in my collection:

[asin]B00BPCNO00[/asin]

My kids are getting into Doctor Who (when I am not torturing nurturing them with classical music). I definitely need to introduce them to the doctors of the past.  So you you are working on a complete set (i.e. the ones that survived the archives) or are you focused solely on Baker?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Pulsar were one of the top French progressive rock bands of the 70s. Their 1977 album Halloween is widely regarded as a masterpiece of the Symphonic Prog genre.

Mirror Image

71 dB

Quote from: Moonfish on June 02, 2014, 12:40:30 PM
So you are working on a complete set (i.e. the ones that survived the archives) or are you focused solely on Baker?

I'm collecting all first 7 doctors 1963-1989. Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker are my favorite doctors. Sylvester McCoy is pretty good as the doctor, but the show went stylistically downhill at that point and for example the music became abyssmal. William Hartnell's and Patrick Troughton's years are heavily violate by all those lost episodes...   :-\

I didn't know about classical Doctor Who before about 2008 because they never showed it in Finland. Few years ago they showed it on a scifi channel and I accidentally found this wonderful awesome show! I completely fell for it. The new doctor who series don't do much for me. I can watch it but that's all.

71 dB

71 dB

I own the normal DVD, the special edition DVD and now I ordered the Blu-ray... ...the art of milking...  :D

[asin]B00CEB72JU[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 03, 2014, 07:41:59 AM
Wow, that's PLENTY of great music!  :P Enjoy!  ;)

Yeah, I've always liked Tangerine Dream as I recall being introduced to them when I was a teenager by my dad. Great music indeed. I take it you own their entire discography? ;D

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2014, 04:23:10 PM
Yeah, I've always liked Tangerine Dream as I recall being introduced to them when I was a teenager by my dad. Great music indeed.
I have know about the existence of Tangerine Dream since around 1990 (techno group LFO mentions them as one of their inspirations), but I didn't understand their monumental legacy until 2008 when I really found them. In Finland nobody knows about or speaks about Tangerine Dream, because the band never had a concert here. So I never realised how good/huge they are. When I discovered their music six and a half years ago I was surprised they are still active (insanely active that is!). During the few years I have been a fan they have released about 50 new CDs (okay, many of them short "cupdiscs" and compilations, but still...) This year they have release so far:

SORCERER 2014 - Cinematographic Score
CHANDRA - THE PHANTOM FERRY - PART II
THE CINEMATOGRAPHIC SCORE - GTA 5

I have yet to buy these and most of the their 2013 releases...

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2014, 04:23:10 PMI take it you own their entire discography? ;D
I have maybe 120 of their CDs and 15 concert DVDs, but no, I don't have their entire discography. My collection of their soundtracks is pathetic (many of them very hard to find for a reasonable price). Tangerine Dream equals a dozen "normal" bands when it comes to the size of discography! Being a completist with this band is lunacy, collecting half (the easier half) of their discography is already hard. Try hunting down  all of those limited edition releases such as "Sony Center Topping Out Ceremony Score" and you will understand why.  :D

During the first 3 years after discovering Tangerine Dream I bought about 30 Tangerine Dream CDs per year.  :P Luckily those where the used cheap ones.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 04, 2014, 08:00:07 AM
I have know about the existence of Tangerine Dream since around 1990 (techno group LFO mentions them as one of their inspirations), but I didn't understand their monumental legacy until 2008 when I really found them. In Finland nobody knows about or speaks about Tangerine Dream, because the band never had a concert here. So I never realised how good/huge they are. When I discovered their music six and a half years ago I was surprised they are still active (insanely active that is!). During the few years I have been a fan they have released about 50 new CDs (okay, many of them short "cupdiscs" and compilations, but still...) This year they have release so far:

SORCERER 2014 - Cinematographic Score
CHANDRA - THE PHANTOM FERRY - PART II
THE CINEMATOGRAPHIC SCORE - GTA 5

I have yet to buy these and most of the their 2013 releases...
I have maybe 120 of their CDs and 15 concert DVDs, but no, I don't have their entire discography. My collection of their soundtracks is pathetic (many of them very hard to find for a reasonable price). Tangerine Dream equals a dozen "normal" bands when it comes to the size of discography! Being a completist with this band is lunacy, collecting half (the easier half) of their discography is already hard. Try hunting down  all of those limited edition releases such as "Sony Center Topping Out Ceremony Score" and you will understand why.  :D

During the first 3 years after discovering Tangerine Dream I bought about 30 Tangerine Dream CDs per year.  :P Luckily those where the used cheap ones.

Yes, I remember looking up their discography and scratching my head and thinking to myself "How in the world could I possibly keep up with them?" The answer is simple: I won't even bother. ;D After I receive these Virgin Years sets, I'm going to try and acquire a few more outside of these boxes. Any recommendations?

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2014, 05:06:46 PM
Yes, I remember looking up their discography and scratching my head and thinking to myself "How in the world could I possibly keep up with them?" The answer is simple: I won't even bother. ;D After I receive these Virgin Years sets, I'm going to try and acquire a few more outside of these boxes.
Yes, don't even try to collect everything. However, I suggest you to collect stuff from different decades at a pace you feel comfortable with.

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2014, 05:06:46 PMAny recommendations?
Glad you asked!  :)

The sets you just bought cover pretty much the era of Tangerine Dream most fans (especially long time fans) consider their strongest. However, TD is much more than "Virgin Years" and long time fans can be a bit biased for nostalgic reasons.

THE PINK YEARS: The 3 CD boxset "Nebulous Dawn: The Early Years" covers their first 4 first albums. The music is pretty different from later stuff, some say their first album is unlistenable.  ;D

THE BLUE YEARS (1984-88): "Poland" is loved by all fans and is essential Tangerine Dream. "Underwater Sunlight" is another recommended album from this era. I also like a lot "Tyger", but some fans don't like it.

THE MELROSE YEARS (1988-90): This is a transitional phase for the band and their music moved (fast) toward new age rock. You could even skip the 3 albums of this short era, but if you want a sample of it, "Melrose" is my favorite of the bunch.

THE SEATTLE YEARS (1992-1995): This is TD's full new age rock era. Many fans hate the flamenco guitars and saxophone, but in my opinion this era contains pretty good music, energetic and rich. "Turn of the Tides" is probably my favorite of the era but all of it is good imo.

THE MILLENNIUM OR TDI YEARS (1996-2005): This era continues the vibes of The Seattle Years, but is uneven ("Ambient Monkeys" is considered one of their worst releases ever) and gradually gets rid of the new age rock feel. "Mars Polaris" can be recommended, but it's the last release of this era "Jeanne d'Arc" which is really liked among the fans and seen as a new strong beginning for the band.

THE EASTGATE YEARS (2006-present): One of my favorite eras of the band together with Virgin & Blue Years. I'd recommend "Purple Diluvial", "Views From a Red Train" and "Chandra". There's also 6 "Booster" twofer compilations, which are extremely good for those who want to sample TD's resent works without buying tons of albums.

There's also the soundtracks, The Dream Mixes CDs, The Dante Trilogy, the re-recorded albums, the five atomic seasons, sonic poems series, archive releases, live concert releases, etc. With Tangerine Dream it never ends.  ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 05, 2014, 08:22:16 AM
Yes, don't even try to collect everything. However, I suggest you to collect stuff from different decades at a pace you feel comfortable with.
Glad you asked!  :)

The sets you just bought cover pretty much the era of Tangerine Dream most fans (especially long time fans) consider their strongest. However, TD is much more than "Virgin Years" and long time fans can be a bit biased for nostalgic reasons.

THE PINK YEARS: The 3 CD boxset "Nebulous Dawn: The Early Years" covers their first 4 first albums. The music is pretty different from later stuff, some say their first album is unlistenable.  ;D

THE BLUE YEARS (1984-88): "Poland" is loved by all fans and is essential Tangerine Dream. "Underwater Sunlight" is another recommended album from this era. I also like a lot "Tyger", but some fans don't like it.

THE MELROSE YEARS (1988-90): This is a transitional phase for the band and their music moved (fast) toward new age rock. You could even skip the 3 albums of this short era, but if you want a sample of it, "Melrose" is my favorite of the bunch.

THE SEATTLE YEARS (1992-1995): This is TD's full new age rock era. Many fans hate the flamenco guitars and saxophone, but in my opinion this era contains pretty good music, energetic and rich. "Turn of the Tides" is probably my favorite of the era but all of it is good imo.

THE MILLENNIUM OR TDI YEARS (1996-2005): This era continues the vibes of The Seattle Years, but is uneven ("Ambient Monkeys" is considered one of their worst releases ever) and gradually gets rid of the new age rock feel. "Mars Polaris" can be recommended, but it's the last release of this era "Jeanne d'Arc" which is really liked among the fans and seen as a new strong beginning for the band.

THE EASTGATE YEARS (2006-present): One of my favorite eras of the band together with Virgin & Blue Years. I'd recommend "Purple Diluvial", "Views From a Red Train" and "Chandra". There's also 6 "Booster" twofer compilations, which are extremely good for those who want to sample TD's resent works without buying tons of albums.

There's also the soundtracks, The Dream Mixes CDs, The Dante Trilogy, the re-recorded albums, the five atomic seasons, sonic poems series, archive releases, live concert releases, etc. With Tangerine Dream it never ends.  ;D

Thanks for the detailed response, 71 dB.