Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on July 21, 2014, 10:12:46 AM
[asin]http://B00J9W0DUW[/asin]

Prog rock

Indeed. IQ have been around since the 80s and show no signs of letting up. I bought this a few days after it's release, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2014, 10:31:47 AM
Indeed. IQ have been around since the 80s and show no signs of letting up. I bought this a few days after it's release, but I haven't listened to it yet.

Good stuff (first impression), brings me in a fantastic state of mind.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Not a huge fan of progressive metal, but I remember enjoying this album upon its release and thinking very highly of the music. This may be one of the only prog metal albums I enjoy. My dad owns all the DT albums, but I wanted to have Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence in my own collection.

Mirror Image

Filling in gaps in my Porcupine Tree collection:

Both of these releases are EPs. Nil Recurring (the first cover) is a collection of outtakes from Fear Of A Blank Planet while Metanoia are outtakes from Signify.

Henk

Will check it out.

I'm looking forward for your next jazz period to come, John. So much to discover.. ;)
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on July 21, 2014, 03:57:33 PM
Will check it out.

I'm looking forward for your next jazz period to come, John. So much to discover.. ;)

I'm extremely picky when it comes to jazz, Henk. In most cases, I'll only listen to 50s and 60s bebop. This, for me, is when jazz swung hard and is musically the most interesting to me. I also love big band jazz like Duke, Basie, Kenton, etc.

Ken B

Quote from: Henk on July 21, 2014, 03:57:33 PM
Will check it out.

John is just months away from his Metal epiphany. Expect Slayer covers by Christmas.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 04:52:40 PM
John is just months away from his Metal epiphany. Expect Slayer covers by Christmas.

Lol...I don't think so, Ken. :)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2014, 05:03:55 PM
Lol...I don't think so, Ken. :)
One of my co-workers just bought Slayer tickets. Her BF wanted to see Depeche Mode this spring. When she learned I had a DM disc at my desk she decided -- no Depeche Mode!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on July 21, 2014, 06:33:07 PM
One of my co-workers just bought Slayer tickets. Her BF wanted to see Depeche Mode this spring. When she learned I had a DM disc at my desk she decided -- no Depeche Mode!

I hope they bring earplugs along with them!

Henk

Foucault - The Birth of Biopolitics
Foucault - The Birth of the Clinic

Both in Dutch translations.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

A hardback illustrated history of the Floyd. I bought it for $6 + free shipping. Can't go wrong there. 8)

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 22, 2014, 06:00:01 PM
Just bought:

A hardback illustrated history of the Floyd. I bought it for $6 + free shipping. Can't go wrong there. 8)

Unless, of course, there happen to be better alternatives of course.

[asin]B00524YUQ4[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on July 22, 2014, 06:42:12 PM
Unless, of course, there happen to be better alternatives of course.

[asin]B00524YUQ4[/asin]

???

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 22, 2014, 06:43:30 PM
???
That's Samuel Barber, John, an American composer of the twentieth century. You probably don't remember him.

>:D >:D :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ken B on July 22, 2014, 07:01:06 PM
That's Samuel Barber, John, an American composer of the twentieth century. You probably don't remember him.

>:D >:D :laugh:

???

Mirror Image

I wonder where Conor is? I'd like to know what issue he bought of KC's In the Court of the Crimson Kings? Inquiring minds want to know. For the record, I own the 40th Anniversary Edition (CD/DVD set) and it's freaking fantastic! Contains a new stereo remix by Steven Wilson. I own all the 40th Anniversary Editions, but haven't heard them all (yet).

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 22, 2014, 07:49:54 PM
I wonder where Conor is? I'd like to know what issue he bought of KC's In the Court of the Crimson Kings? Inquiring minds want to know. For the record, I own the 40th Anniversary Edition (CD/DVD set) and it's freaking fantastic! Contains a new stereo remix by Steven Wilson. I own all the 40th Anniversary Editions, but haven't heard them all (yet).

Sorry for the late reply - I did indeed buy the 40th anniversary Disc of in the court. I just have the original master version at the moment so I am looking forward to hearing the re-mix and the extras. Glad to know its a good one!  :D

Thread duty:

Deluxe Version of this Album (a download so didn't come with the 3rd Disc with the 5.1 mix (I don't have a surround system anyway :)):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 23, 2014, 03:58:34 AM
Sorry for the late reply - I did indeed buy the 40th anniversary Disc of in the court. I just have the original master version at the moment so I am looking forward to hearing the re-mix and the extras. Glad to know its a good one!  :D

Thread duty:

Deluxe Version of this Album (a download so didn't come with the 3rd Disc with the 5.1 mix (I don't have a surround system anyway :)):

Excellent, Conor! ELP's debut is a fantastic. I, too, own this edition and it's quite good.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

Thanks HIPster for reminding of these recent Zorn/Frisell recordings. Like I mentioned on another thread, it's hard to keep up with Zorn. He releases, or so it seems, like 5 or 6 albums a year or maybe even more.