Some more remastered & deluxe versions of Pink Floyd albums:

and these:

Now my Pink Floyd collection is complete?  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 25, 2014, 04:19:28 PM
Some more remastered & deluxe versions of Pink Floyd albums:

and these:

Now my Pink Floyd collection is complete?  :D

Great haul, Conor! 8) I LOVE Animals. Have you heard this album before? For me, it's easily one of Floyd's best and like The Wall it really shows Waters in a terribly fussy mood. ;D Gilmour's guitar work on Animals is something to behold. Richard Wright seems to be underscored on this album but his contributions don't go unnoticed. He just gives the music a more subtle touch this time around, but knowing the circumstances of the recording process and the tensions in the band, it's pretty obvious that Wright was on his way out, but I can't blame him because this was where Waters really started to dominate the band. Thankfully, Gilmour didn't go down without a fight as the 17 minute song Dogs, as Gilmour claims, is 90% his music and other 10% was Waters. Anyway, I really  hope you enjoy that one as much as I have. Repeat listens are mandatory for Animals. As for Dark Side, it's a classic of course. No rock fan should be without that album. Are these the 2011 remasters of Animals and Dark Side? I can't say I'm too fond of the first Floyd album, but I did enjoy 'some' of A Saucerful Of Secrets. My favorites are Meddle through A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2014, 05:51:33 PM
Great haul, Conor! 8) I LOVE Animals. Have you heard this album before? For me, it's easily one of Floyd's best and like The Wall it really shows Waters in a terribly fussy mood. ;D Gilmour's guitar work on Animals is something to behold. Richard Wright seems to be underscored on this album but his contributions don't go unnoticed. He just gives the music a more subtle touch this time around, but knowing the circumstances of the recording process and the tensions in the band, it's pretty obvious that Wright was on his way out, but I can't blame him because this was where Waters really started to dominate the band. Thankfully, Gilmour didn't go down without a fight as the 17 minute song Dogs, as Gilmour claims, is 90% his music and other 10% was Waters. Anyway, I really  hope you enjoy that one as much as I have. Repeat listens are mandatory for Animals. As for Dark Side, it's a classic of course. No rock fan should be without that album. Are these the 2011 remasters of Animals and Dark Side? I can't say I'm too fond of the first Floyd album, but I did enjoy 'some' of A Saucerful Of Secrets. My favorites are Meddle through A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

Thanks MI  :D - The Animals, DSOTM and Saucerful Of Secrets are all the 2011 Remasters. I own a few of the new remasters now and have found them to be very good. I am listening to the remaster of The Wall as I type this reply and I think it is just about perfect!. I find the first 4 PF albums to be a bit patchy and my run of favourites is quite similar to yours although I would start with Atom Heart Mother and end with The Final Cut. I have a bit of a hard time picking absolute favourites from the PF catalogue - I do very much like Animals, WYWH, The Wall and Meddle. Like yourself PF are one of my favourite groups - I have been through a few phases with them - they are realy hitting the spot today that's for sure!  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 25, 2014, 06:41:37 PM
Thanks MI  :D - The Animals, DSOTM and Saucerful Of Secrets are all the 2011 Remasters. I own a few of the new remasters now and have found them to be very good. I am listening to the remaster of The Wall as I type this reply and I think it is just about perfect!. I find the first 4 PF albums to be a bit patchy and my run of favourites is quite similar to yours although I would start with Atom Heart Mother and end with The Final Cut. I have a bit of a hard time picking absolute favourites from the PF catalogue - I do very much like Animals, WYWH, The Wall and Meddle. Like yourself PF are one of my favourite groups - I have been through a few phases with them - they are realy hitting the spot today that's for sure!  8)

Great to hear, Conor. Yes, these 2011 sound really good. I need to give Atom Heart Mother another listen as it's been too long. The Final Cut, despite what fans say, is a classic and really a heartfelt album. Those moments when Gilmour gets the spotlight are really out-of-this-world. What I like about Animals and The Wall in general is there's a darkness and bitterness in these albums. I could listen to Pink Floyd any time of the day and they're always such a highly satisfying and, of course, musically incredible band. There have been so many pale imitators of this band through the years and not one of them with anything original to say. Long live the Floyd! 8)

BTW, that Live At Pompeii DVD is outstanding. It's a Meddle-era performance if I'm not mistaken and this particular version of Echoes is something else. Enjoy!

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2014, 06:58:26 PM
Great to hear, Conor. Yes, these 2011 sound really good. I need to give Atom Heart Mother another listen as it's been too long. The Final Cut, despite what fans say, is a classic and really a heartfelt album. Those moments when Gilmour gets the spotlight are really out-of-this-world. What I like about Animals and The Wall in general is there's a darkness and bitterness in these albums. I could listen to Pink Floyd any time of the day and they're always such a highly satisfying and, of course, musically incredibly band. There have so many pale imitators of this band through the years and not one of them with anything original to say. Long live the Floyd! 8)

BTW, that Live At Pompeii DVD is outstanding. It's and Echoes-era performance if I'm not mistaken and this particular version of Echoes is something else. Enjoy!

Thank you! - I haven't seen Live At Pompeii before and am really looking forward to it :)

Night Vision

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 26, 2014, 03:57:31 PM
Got this set :):

Fantastic set and I highly recommend the DVD companion set if you don't own it already, Conor.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 26, 2014, 05:00:35 PM
Fantastic set and I highly recommend the DVD companion set if you don't own it already, Conor.

Ive been listening to Pulse this morning and I am very impressed! - I didn't know about the Pulse DVD and have promptly ordered it, thanks for the heads-up! 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 26, 2014, 05:40:35 PM
Ive been listening to Pulse this morning and I am very impressed! - I didn't know about the Pulse DVD and have promptly ordered it, thanks for the heads-up! 8)

You're welcome, Conor. Enjoy!

Mirror Image

Bought some more Dream Theater:

My dad already owns all of Dream Theater's discography, but I wanted hard copies of all my favorite DT albums. I already bought, and received, Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

Mirror Image

Well, I thought I won that Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings box on eBay but I did not someone out-bided me in the last 20 seconds or so. :(

Anyway, as a little pick me up, I ordered these albums:

Night Vision

This weeks new music (I already owned Bakesale, but this is the deluxe edition) :):

Edit: added the VU sets:

Mirror Image

Finally found a copy of the Led Zeppelin Complete Studio Recordings set for a good price off of eBay, so I pounced on it.

Mirror Image

Just bought some Krautrock goodies:

Conor, when you have time, check some of these bands out if you haven't already. Very cool stuff. 8)

HIPster

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 03, 2014, 03:33:58 PM
Just bought some Krautrock goodies . . . Very cool stuff. 8)

Indeed!   :)

I have every one of those albums, MI.  Nice haul.

Do check out the 3 CD Lost Tapes retrospective by Can, if you haven't already.
[asin]B0091V6TJ0[/asin] 

Another band I highly recommend is Agitation Free; start here:
[asin]B001DSNFNM[/asin]
Alternate edition (sans bonus cut):
[asin]B000025635[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: HIPster on August 03, 2014, 04:42:06 PM
Indeed!   :)

I have every one of those albums, MI.  Nice haul.

Do check out the 3 CD Lost Tapes retrospective by Can, if you haven't already.
[asin]B0091V6TJ0[/asin] 

Another band I highly recommend is Agitation Free; start here:
[asin]B001DSNFNM[/asin]
Alternate edition (sans bonus cut):
[asin]B000025635[/asin]

Thanks, HIPster. I do have that Can release, but I don't think I've listened to it yet. They're definitely a strange band. :) I haven't heard Agitation Free, though. I've only heard their name but none of their music. Could you give me a point in reference to their sound? I'll check them out. Thanks!

Thread duty:

Just bought -

HIPster

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 03, 2014, 04:47:35 PM
Thanks, HIPster. I do have that Can release, but I don't think I've listened to it yet. They're definitely a strange band. :) I haven't heard Agitation Free, though. I've only heard their name but none of their music. Could you give me a point in reference to their sound? I'll check them out. Thanks!

The Can set is really excellent, MI.  Much of the weirdness resides on the first disc, so I recommend that you start with the 3rd CD and work your way backwards from there. . .  Really excellent liner notes in that one too, which are a sort of map for the set.

Agitation Free were a band with a twin lead-guitar lineup.  As a guitarist, I think you'd really dig these guys and their album Live At The River Rhine (linked above).  Their album 2nd is also really good, though the live one is their best effort imo.  I would rank it as my favorite Krautrock album too - it's that good.  8)
Wise words from Que:

Mirror Image

Quote from: HIPster on August 03, 2014, 05:02:29 PM
The Can set is really excellent, MI.  Much of the weirdness resides on the first disc, so I recommend that you start with the 3rd CD and work your way backwards from there. . .  Really excellent liner notes in that one too, which are a sort of map for the set.

Agitation Free were a band with a twin lead-guitar lineup.  As a guitarist, I think you'd really dig these guys and their album Live At The River Rhine (linked above).  Their album 2nd is also really good, though the live one is their best effort imo.  I would rank it as my favorite Krautrock album too - it's that good.  8)

Cool, HIPster. Thanks for the feedback. If only we can get more people into Krautrock. :) I've only begun exploration of the Italian progressive rock scene. That's a huge can of worms or so I've been told. I've only explore Banco, PFM, and Le Orme so far. There's some box sets of Italian prog released by Universal that look interesting, but I think I'm going to try and tread carefully here as so much of this stuff is unknown territory for me.

HIPster

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 03, 2014, 05:10:23 PM
Cool, HIPster. Thanks for the feedback. If only we can get more people into Krautrock. :) I've only begun exploration of the Italian progressive rock scene. That's a huge can of worms or so I've been told. I've only explore Banco, PFM, and Le Orme so far. There's some box sets of Italian prog released by Universal that look interesting, but I think I'm going to try and tread carefully here as so much of this stuff is unknown territory for me.

Cool.  Not up on Italian Prog., but I am interested now.   ;D

Not sure if I properly "sold" that Agitation Free album to you, MI, but a more accurate description of their sound might be if Terje Rypdal joined Meddle-era Pink Floyd for Echoes-style tunes.  At least to me, that's what the songs on that Agitation Free album remind me of.
Wise words from Que:

Mirror Image

Quote from: HIPster on August 03, 2014, 05:26:32 PM
Cool.  Not up on Italian Prog., but I am interested now.   ;D

Not sure if I properly "sold" that Agitation Free album to you, MI, but a more accurate description of their sound might be if Terje Rypdal joined Meddle-era Pink Floyd for Echoes-style tunes.  At least to me, that's what the songs on that Agitation Free album remind me of.

Terje Rypdal meets Meddle-era Pink Floyd? Sounds great! Terje Rypdal is such an underrated player IMHO. I own all of his albums and most of his work as a session player. Love those albums he recorded with DeJohnette and Vitous, especially the first one. Of course, Pink Floyd get plenty of attention. :)