Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 08, 2014, 09:59:24 PM
Great haul, Conor. ;D

Thank you! - I will post my thoughts on the GG albums tonight :)

71 dB

Neil Cowley Trio * The Face Of Mount Molehill * Naim Jazz
Neil Cowley Trio * Live At Montreux 2012 [Blu-ray] * Eagle Rock

[asin]B0062XCCDM[/asin] [asin]B00AYXW7E0[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Just bought:

And I'm sure more will follow. I just wanted to get their 'classic' albums for right now. 8)

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 09, 2014, 07:30:31 AM
Just bought:

And I'm sure more will follow. I just wanted to get their 'classic' albums for right now. 8)

Cool album covers! - are these guys another Prog group?

Night Vision

Got these 2 (the Lizard album is the 40th Anniversary edition) :):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 09, 2014, 05:35:36 PM
Cool album covers! - are these guys another Prog group?

Yep and from what I've read are the most successful German prog band of the 70s. Eloy are categorized as 'Space Rock' (the same categorization as Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Gong, Ozric Tentacles, etc.) but they also combine some elements of Symphonic Prog into their sound-world. They're closer to the British prog scene than the German one.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 09, 2014, 05:38:14 PM
Got these 2 (the Lizard album is the 40th Anniversary edition) :):

Nice haul, Conor. Great stuff.

Mirror Image

Night Vision

I really like GG now so I got another compilation (and the Roxy Music Disc too) :):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 12, 2014, 04:23:19 AM
I really like GG now so I got another compilation (and the Roxy Music Disc too) :):

Just a warning: that Gentle Giant compilation sounds awful, but they're bootlegs. If you want the real Gentle Giant live experience get Playing The Fool Live. This is a killer album. BTW, what Gentle Giant studio albums do you own now? As for Roxy Music, I've never been a fan, but I heard Avalon is one of their best.

Here's a link to Playing The Fool -

[asin]B0032700QW[/asin]

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 12, 2014, 06:26:58 AM
Just a warning: that Gentle Giant compilation sounds awful, but they're bootlegs. If you want the real Gentle Giant live experience get Playing The Fool Live. This is a killer album. BTW, what Gentle Giant studio albums do you own now? As for Roxy Music, I've never been a fan, but I heard Avalon is one of their best.

Here's a link to Playing The Fool -

[asin]B0032700QW[/asin]

Thanks for the link - I had a look at the tracklist for this disc and its a bit similar to the live Disc in the I Lost My Head set so maybe they are the same recordings im not sure?.
I own a few GG albums now:

Acquiring The Taste
Gentle Giant
I Lost My Head (4 Disc set)
Memories Of Old Days (5 Disc set)
Octopus
The Power And The Glory
3 Friends

There are a few other albums on iTunes but there is a fair bit of overlap between those and the I Lost My Head box so maybe I will hold off on them for the moment.
Are there any other albums you would consider essential?
iTunes has a few live GG albums but not the one you recommended unfortunately - I am interested in hearing more of them live - have you heard any of these albums:

Thanks for your help :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 12, 2014, 04:44:08 PM
Thanks for the link - I had a look at the tracklist for this disc and its a bit similar to the live Disc in the I Lost My Head set so maybe they are the same recordings im not sure?.
I own a few GG albums now:

Acquiring The Taste
Gentle Giant
I Lost My Head (4 Disc set)
Memories Of Old Days (5 Disc set)
Octopus
The Power And The Glory
3 Friends

There are a few other albums on iTunes but there is a fair bit of overlap between those and the I Lost My Head box so maybe I will hold off on them for the moment.
Are there any other albums you would consider essential?
iTunes has a few live GG albums but not the one you recommended unfortunately - I am interested in hearing more of them live - have you heard any of these albums:

Thanks for your help :)

Okay, you're right. Playing The Fool is in that I Lost My Head set. There's one studio album you're lacking and it's In A Glass House.

[asin]B0030U1U6A[/asin]

This is an amazing album and it was released originally as a Europe only album. It's a transitional album as it comes between Octopus and The Power and the Glory. As for those albums you linked, I really haven't got a clue. After I collected all of their studio albums and Playing The Fool, I felt I didn't need any more Gentle Giant in my collection as I own the most essential releases.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 12, 2014, 05:29:21 PM
Okay, you're right. Playing The Fool is in that I Lost My Head set. There's one studio album you're lacking and it's In A Glass House.

[asin]B0030U1U6A[/asin]

This is an amazing album and it was released originally as a Europe only album. It's a transitional album as it comes between Octopus and The Power and the Glory. As for those albums you linked, I really haven't got a clue. After I collected all of their studio albums and Playing The Fool, I felt I didn't need any more Gentle Giant in my collection as I own the most essential releases.

Thanks for your help - I ordered In A Glass House! It sounds like I should be well covered for GG at the moment. I sure am enjoying them! - thanks for inspiring me to revisit them again :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 13, 2014, 02:48:28 AM
Thanks for your help - I ordered In A Glass House! It sounds like I should be well covered for GG at the moment. I sure am enjoying them! - thanks for inspiring me to revisit them again :)

You're welcome, Conor. Sometimes it just takes a little perseverance in order to enjoy a band, especially one as musically complex as Gentle Giant. But, for me, they make this strange concoction of Renaissance music, blues, jazz, etc. work in quite a cohesive way.

kishnevi

At the big FYE at Sawgrass Mills,  which has a variable selection of used CDs mixed with new
All Miles all Rudy van Gelder remasters
Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Miles Davis Collectors' Items
Miles:  The New Miles Davis Quintet
Workin' with the MDQ
Miles Davis All Stars

Mirror Image

Bought two more Eloy albums this time 90s releases:

Mirror Image

Bought some more Eloy recordings:

I'm pretty close to owning Eloy's entire discography now. 8)

Night Vision

This weekends newbies :):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 15, 2014, 11:05:03 PM
This weekends newbies :):

I never have liked Grateful Dead and Hawkwind are a band I haven't explored in full yet, but they have a particularly heavy sound that lacks a lot of clarity. I also have a lot of problems with their vocals. You should definitely try some Eloy, Conor. Get Ocean first. Killer album. Now, this is space rock I enjoy. Also, have you ever tried any Ozric Tentacles? They're another favorite space rock band of mine.