Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 16, 2014, 06:40:55 AM
I never have liked Greatful Dead and Hawkwind are a band I haven't explored in full yet, but they have a particularly heavy sound that lacks a lot of clarity. I also have a lot of problems with their vocals. You should definitely try some Eloy, Conor. Get Ocean first. Killer album. Now, this is space rock I enjoy. Also, have you ever tried any Ozric Tentacles? They're another favorite space rock band of mine.

Thanks for the recommendations - I downloaded Eloy's Ocean and Ozric Tentacles Erpland albums. I have heard of Ozric Tentacles a long time ago but I never explored their music before. Both Eloy and OT have some pretty epic songs! That's what im enjoying at the moment so I am interested in hearing these bands. Im not sure what happened with the GD - when I first heard them I didn't like them at all but now I found out another side of their music and I really like them!. I got a couple more GD albums - I am on a bit of a roll with this band so I will probably listen to them most of the day but I will be sure to post about the Eloy and OT albums when I hear them :):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 16, 2014, 06:00:25 PM
Thanks for the recommendations - I downloaded Eloy's Ocean and Ozric Tentacles Erpland albums. I have heard of Ozric Tentacles a long time ago but I never explored their music before. Both Eloy and OT have some pretty epic songs! That's what im enjoying at the moment so I am interested in hearing these bands. Im not sure what happened with the GD - when I first heard them I didn't like them at all but now I found out another side of their music and I really like them!. I got a couple more GD albums - I am on a bit of a roll with this band so I will probably listen to them most of the day but I will be sure to post about the Eloy and OT albums when I hear them :):

Pink Floyd, for me, are my number one favorite when it comes to psychedelic/space rock, but Eloy and Ozric Tentacles are followed closely by. Very cool purchases! Erpland is a great one and it's their 'breakthrough' album. Many people still talk about this one a lot. Eloy's Ocean is really where things start to gel with their signature sound, but this isn't to discount or slight their earlier work (Floating is outstanding). Anyway, I'm still in the process of discovering Eloy for myself, but have already heard the following albums:

Floating
Power and the Passion
Ocean
Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Colours
Planets

I love everything I've heard from Eloy (so far). Such a great band with a unique sound-world. Ozric Tentacles also have a strong, consistent discography that will be an enjoyable aural journey for you. Next Ozric album you should check out is Jurassic Shift. Absolutely killer!

From there, I would check out the following:

Mirror Image

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 16, 2014, 06:53:29 PM
Pink Floyd, for me, are my number one favorite when it comes to psychedelic/space rock, but Eloy and Ozric Tentacles are followed closely by. Very cool purchases! Erpland is a great one and it's their 'breakthrough' album. Many people still talk about this one a lot. Eloy's Ocean is really where things start to gel with their signature sound, but this isn't to discount or slight their earlier work (Floating is outstanding). Anyway, I'm still in the process of discovering Eloy for myself, but have already heard the following albums:

Floating
Power and the Passion
Ocean
Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Colours
Planets

I love everything I've heard from Eloy (so far). Such a great band with a unique sound-world. Ozric Tentacles also have a strong, consistent discography that will be an enjoyable aural journey for you. Next Ozric album you should check out is Jurassic Shift. Absolutely killer!

From there, I would check out the following:

Thank you! - OT have quite a large discography so I wasn't sure where to go next with them. I will check out all these albums in due course :)

Edit: Thread Duty - Just ordered these 2 sets :D:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 16, 2014, 07:58:52 PM
Thank you! - OT have quite a large discography so I wasn't sure where to go next with them. I will check out all these albums in due course :)

Sounds good, Conor. I look forward to reading your comments.

Mirror Image

HIPster

Connor71 -

Check out the documentary film Anthem To Beauty. 
[asin]B0007GADZ4[/asin]

I consider it to be the best doc. on the GD.

I dig the Anthem avatar too.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Conor71 on August 15, 2014, 11:05:03 PM
This weekends newbies :):

Wonderful to see so many Dead albums! Are you already on the bus? ...or haven't you purchased your ticket yet  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mookalafalas

A large Non-music purchase.   I was looking to buy Alfred Einstein's Mozart book on Ebay, and wound up getting a collection of 24 music books for about $2 a piece.  Several I'm very interested, several more nobody should be interested in.  Still, an interesting and educational lot...

A Short History of Music by Alfred Einstein, 1954

MOZART - His Character, His Work by Alfred Einstein, 1962

The Magic Flute Unveiled - Esoteric Symbolism in Mozart's Masonic Opera
an interpretation of the libretto and the music by Jaques Chailley, 1992

The Joy of Music by Leonard Bernstein, 1980

The Structure of Music - A Listener's Guide by Robert Erickson, 1960

The Interpretation of Music by Thurston Dart, 1963

Poetics of Music in the Form of Six Lessons by Igor Stravinsky, 1947

Introducing Music by Otto Karolyi, 1965

The Language of Music by Deryck Cooke, 1962

Learn to Read Music by Howard Shanet, 1956

Twentieth-Century Music: An Introduction by Eric Salzman
Prentice Hall History of Music Series, 1967

A Guide to the Concerto - an essential Reference book for Every Classical Music Lover
edited by Robert Layton, 1996

Beethoven by Donald Francis Tovey, edited by Hubert J. Foss, 1965

Beethoven's Nine Symphonies by George Grove, 3rd edition 1962 Dover
(facsimile of edition published in 1898)

Thayer's Life of Beethoven revised and edited by Elliot Forbes
complete and unabridged in one volume, 1970

The Music of Bach: An Introduction by Charles Sanford Terry, 1963

Understanding Music, 2nd edition by William S. Newman, 1967

Antique Musical Instruments and Their Players,
152 Plates from Bonanni's 18th Century "Gabinetto Armonico", with an introduction and captions by Frank Harrison and Joan Rimmer

A History of Musical Style by Richard Crocker, 1986

On The Sensations of Tone as a physiological basis for the theory of Music
by Hermann Helmholtz, 1954 Dover

What To Listen For In Music by Aaron Copland, a Mentor Book 1953

The Main Stream of Music and Other Essays by Donald Francis Tovey, 1959

What Music Is by Herbert Weinstock, 1968

The Stream of Music - The Story of Music in Terms of the Great Men Who Made It
by Richard Anthony Leonard, revised edition 1962
It's all good...

HIPster

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 17, 2014, 12:48:17 PM
Wonderful to see so many Dead albums! Are you already on the bus? ...or haven't you purchased your ticket yet  ;)

Sarge

I think he has his finger in the air.   8)

That '69 set is incredible, Conor.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Night Vision

Quote from: HIPster on August 17, 2014, 12:21:19 PM
Connor71 -

Check out the documentary film Anthem To Beauty. 
[asin]B0007GADZ4[/asin]

I consider it to be the best doc. on the GD.

I dig the Anthem avatar too.  ;)

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 17, 2014, 12:48:17 PM

Sarge
Quote from: HIPster on August 17, 2014, 06:44:52 PM

I think he has his finger in the air.   8)

That '69 set is incredible, Conor.

Hey Hipster and Sarge - thanks very much for the recommendation and comments :D
I am starting on the path to becoming a Deadhead I hope - I am absolutely loving this band at the moment!.
I got some more albums today too :):

Night Vision

I bought another version of ITCOTKC (my third) - I really really love this abum. Enough said! :):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 19, 2014, 04:50:07 AM
I bought another version of ITCOTKC (my third) - I really really love this abum. Enough said! :):

Which version did you buy? The 30th Anniversary? The Definitive Edition (1980s remaster)? An original? The LP-style box set?

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 19, 2014, 06:22:50 AM
Which version did you buy? The 30th Anniversary? The Definitive Edition (1980s remaster)? An original? The LP-style box set?

I bought this one which is a 2-Disc collectors edition - I already have most of these recordings but there are a few tracks on the second Disc I didn't have :):

[asin]B002LLE3Q8[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 19, 2014, 05:06:18 PM
I bought this one which is a 2-Disc collectors edition - I already have most of these recordings but there are a few tracks on the second Disc I didn't have :):

[asin]B002LLE3Q8[/asin]

Ah, okay. I see it contains both the Steven Wilson remix and the Robert Fripp remaster from the 30th Anniversary Edition series. Pretty cool. I own three editions of In the Court of the Crimson King: the Robert Fripp 'Definitive Edition Remaster,' the 30th Anniversary Edition, and the 40th Anniversary, which contains the Steven Wilson remix plus a DVD audio 5.1 surround sound mix. Yeah, I kind of love this album, too. ;) ;D

Henk

Excited about my new purchases, which I just bought at the local record store.

[asin]B00065MDS6[/asin]
[asin]B000002JSN[/asin]
[asin]B0025KVLTC[/asin]
[asin]B000002J1Q[/asin]
[asin]B000002J1O[/asin]
[asin]B0009QZ4CE[/asin]
[asin]B00920QMLA[/asin]
[asin]B0051KFW1G[/asin]
[asin]B000066699[/asin]
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Night Vision

Quote from: Henk on August 20, 2014, 08:30:48 AM

[asin]B00065MDS6[/asin]
[asin]B000002JSN[/asin]
[asin]B0025KVLTC[/asin]
[asin]B000002J1Q[/asin]
[asin]B000002J1O[/asin]
[asin]B0009QZ4CE[/asin]
[asin]B00920QMLA[/asin]
[asin]B0051KFW1G[/asin]
[asin]B000066699[/asin]

Those King Crimson and Genesis albums are great Henk - I hope you enjoy them :)

Night Vision

Its my Birthday in a few days so I got these - Im going to try to make these my last purchases for a while as I have a lot to listen to (famous last words!) :D
Note: The ITCOTKC is the box-set :):

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 20, 2014, 08:30:48 AM

[asin]B00065MDS6[/asin]
[asin]B000002JSN[/asin]
[asin]B0025KVLTC[/asin]
[asin]B000002J1Q[/asin]
[asin]B000002J1O[/asin]
[asin]B0009QZ4CE[/asin]
[asin]B00920QMLA[/asin]
[asin]B0051KFW1G[/asin]
[asin]B000066699[/asin]

Great haul, Henk. Enjoy the Genesis, King Crimson, and Led Zeppelin. Great stuff.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 20, 2014, 04:49:03 PM
Its my Birthday in a few days so I got these - Im going to try to make these my last purchases for a while as I have a lot to listen to (famous last words!) :D
Note: The ITCOTKC is the box-set :):

Great haul, Conor! Happy Birthday, BTW! Hope it was a good one for you. Prog on my friend.