Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Todays haul:

Not pictured; Another War On Drugs album - an EP (cant seem to find a picture of it)

Edit: A couple of cheap box-sets:

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 27, 2014, 10:03:06 PM
Well, those Pink Floyd albums I listened to in another/different phase in my life. With having closed that phase in my life, I also closed listening to that music. This way it works for me I think. Also, I don't own these albums, I loaned them, no _real_ need to buy them now. There are limits on buying music to me, this is one of those limits, I won't buy anything I want, even if I have the money. I just want to have a decent collection which I can onjoy, I'm not a collector or a completist. For instance Angel Song I have in my collection so I can dig up and revisit that recording. I hope you can understand, John.

Progressive rock are my roots as a listener and as a musician, but, like everyone here I'm sure, I expanded my horizons to include jazz and classical music, but this doesn't necessarily mean I've shut the door on music I once listened to and that's meant a lot to me. I always find it a great experience to revisit my roots, but I realize that not everyone shares my ideals about these kinds of things.

The new erato

Quote from: George on August 28, 2014, 05:19:14 AM

I have them all as single issues. Joni is great. I am currently eyeing a collection of Tom Petty's first 5 albums cheaply on amazon UK.

George

Quote from: The new erato on August 28, 2014, 06:23:16 AM
I have them all as single issues. Joni is great. I am currently eyeing a collection of Tom Petty's first 5 albums cheaply on amazon UK.

Petty is great!

The new erato

Yes, I have been a fan since hearing "Damn the torpedoes" a zillion years ago but never got around to aquiring much.

George

Quote from: The new erato on August 28, 2014, 06:27:10 AM
Yes, I have been a fan since hearing "Damn the torpedoes" a zillion years ago but never got around to aquiring much.

Took me awhile too, but now I have 5 of his regular albums, after first buying his excellent GH.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 28, 2014, 06:20:11 AM
Progressive rock are my roots as a listener and as a musician, but, like everyone here I'm sure, I expanded my horizons to include jazz and classical music, but this doesn't necessarily mean I've shut the door on music I once listened to and that's meant a lot to me. I always find it a great experience to revisit my roots, but I realize that not everyone shares my ideals about these kinds of things.

Well, my roots are rather jazz. But some jazz, a lot of hard bop en free jazz I don't really like anymore. I know the history although, a serious music lover needs to have some decent knowledge about genres he's interested in. I have expanded my horizons to classical, reggae, pop, rock, soul, blues, prog, almost every kind of music.  :)

My taste evolves, doesn't yours?

Night Vision

Quote from: George on August 28, 2014, 05:19:14 AM

Quote from: The new erato on August 28, 2014, 06:23:16 AM

Thanks guys - I have 3 Joni albums at the moment (clouds, canyon and blue) - this box seems like an easy way to get more of her early stuff.
Tom Petty is also on my list of artists to check out in future!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 28, 2014, 07:11:24 AM
Well, my roots are rather jazz. But some jazz, a lot of hard bop en free jazz I don't really like anymore. I know the history although, a serious music lover needs to have some decent knowledge about genres he's interested in. I have expanded my horizons to classical, reggae, pop, rock, soul, blues, prog, almost every kind of music.  :)

My taste evolves, doesn't yours?

Well of course my tastes evolve, but I didn't turn my back on music I loved, because I still love it and it means something to me because it's great music. Like for example, I've been listening to Rush since I was 5 years old. I'm much older now of course and I've gotten into all kinds of music but just because I venture out and spread my wings a bit doesn't mean I don't enjoy and still want to listen to their music. I'll even listen to some alternative rock sometimes like Toad the Wet Sprocket or R.E.M. At the end of the day, I listen to what I want and I don't think about my own evolution as a listener, because it's not important, but what is important is that you're moved by what you hear and the music means something to you.

George

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 28, 2014, 05:16:01 PM
Well of course my tastes evolve, but I didn't turn my back on music I loved, because I still love it and it means something to me because it's great music. Like for example, I've been listening to Rush since I was 5 years old. I'm much older now of course and I've gotten into all kinds of music but just because I venture out and spread my wings a bit doesn't mean I don't enjoy and still want to listen to their music. I'll even listen to some alternative rock sometimes like Toad the Wet Sprocket or R.E.M. At the end of the day, I listen to what I want and I don't think about my own evolution as a listener, because it's not important, but what is important is that you're moved by what you hear and the music means something to you.

Agree, John.

Night Vision

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 29, 2014, 03:23:12 AM
Latest acquisition :):

I hope you enjoy Roxy Music more than I did, Conor. Is this a download or did you buy the physical box set?

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2014, 06:32:42 AM
I hope you enjoy Roxy Music more than I did, Conor. Is this a download or did you buy the physical box set?

Thanks - I got the CD's this time! (the box wasn't available as a download) :)

Night Vision

A few more (all downloads apart from the Sound & Vision box which I bought the CD's) :):

Mirror Image

Okay, I'm not the greatest Roxy Music fan BUT it has been years since I've listened to any of their music, so to get into this band again I copied Conor and ordered the big box:

And who knows? They may end up becoming a favorite. I certainly like Manzanera's guitar playing.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2014, 06:12:13 PM
Okay, I'm not the greatest Roxy Music fan BUT it has been years since I've listened to any of their music, so to get into this band again I copied Conor and ordered the big box:

And who knows? They may end up becoming a favorite. I certainly like Manzanera's guitar playing.

Wow, awesome! - I hope you enjoy the music!. Based on what I have been hearing from this band the last couple of days you wont regret your purchase!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 29, 2014, 06:25:07 PM
Wow, awesome! - I hope you enjoy the music!. Based on what I have been hearing from this band the last couple of days you wont regret your purchase!  :)

Thanks, Conor. What do you think of Ferry's singing? I think he's biggest hurdle I have to jump over in order to really dig this band. From what I remember, those earlier albums had involvement from Brian Eno, have you heard any of these albums? If yes, what do you think about them?