Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2014, 06:27:54 PM
Thanks, Conor. What do you think of Ferry's singing? I think he's biggest hurdle I have to jump over in order to really dig this band. From what I remember, those earlier albums had involvement from Brian Eno, have you heard any of these albums? If yes, what do you think about them?

Yes I know what you mean about Ferry's singing - Im not really a fan of crooners but he does use a range of vocal styles from what I have heard so far. He does have a good voice though - I kind of feel the same about Adrian Belew - I think he has a great voice even though im not keen on him sounding so much like David Byrne. The older I get the more I appreciate good musicianship and Roxy Music are definitely great musicians. I was listening to one of their live albums earlier and it is amazing!.
I have a compilation called The Early Years which has tracks from RM first couple of albums with Eno in them. This album is quite a bit different from the later ones. I do think the early stuff is great - have you heard Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets? Early Roxy Music sounds a bit like this to me. I don't notice Eno's keyboard parts too much but they didn't sound out of place in the early work.

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2014, 06:29:39 PM
Yikes! Looks like you went ahead and wanted to explore the music. 8)

Haha, yes I couldn't wait! - I hope this set can tide me over till the big box arrives  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 29, 2014, 06:35:33 PM
Yes I know what you mean about Ferry's singing - Im not really a fan of crooners but he does use a range of vocal styles from what I have heard so far. He does have a good voice though - I kind of feel the same about Adrian Belew - I think he has a great voice even though im not keen on him sounding so much like David Byrne. The older I get the more I appreciate good musicianship and Roxy Music are definitely great musicians. I was listening to one of their live albums earlier and it is amazing!.
I have a compilation called The Early Years which has tracks from RM first couple of albums with Eno in them. This album is quite a bit different from the later ones. I do think the early stuff is great - have you heard Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets? Early Roxy Music sounds a bit like this to me. I don't notice Eno's keyboard parts too much but they didn't sound out of place in the early work.

Yeah, I know what you mean and, I, too, respect and admire great musicianship and Roxy Music are definitely a talented bunch. I think Ferry will grow on me. There's several prog rock vocalists I just can't get into: Peter Hammill (from Van der Graaf Generator), Steve Hogarth/Fish (both from Marillion), Frank Zappa (fantastic musician, lousy vocalist), Robert Wyatt, and several others. I have not heard Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets, but, if I recall, my dad has a pretty large Eno collection, so I'd like to check out what he owns. I think Eno is a great musician and he always adds an extra touch of strangeness to the projects he involves himself in.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2014, 06:42:25 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean and, I, too, respect and admire great musicianship and Roxy Music are definitely a talented bunch. I think Ferry will grow on me. There's several prog rock vocalists I just can't get into: Peter Hammill (from Van der Graaf Generator), Steve Hogarth/Fish (both from Marillion), Frank Zappa (fantastic musician, lousy vocalist), Robert Wyatt, and several others. I have not heard Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets, but, if I recall, my dad has a pretty large Eno collection, so I'd like to check out what he owns. I think Eno is a great musician and he always adds an extra touch of strangeness to the projects he involves himself in.

Brian Eno is great! - I went through a bit of an Eno phase a few years ago and still dip into his music sometimes. My collection is nowhere near complete so maybe I will get some more of his albums in future (I particularly want to complete the Ambient series!).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 29, 2014, 06:58:32 PM
Brian Eno is great! - I went through a bit of an Eno phase a few years ago and still dip into his music sometimes. My collection is nowhere near complete so maybe I will get some more of his albums in future (I particularly want to complete the Ambient series!).

Yeah, he's an excellent musician no doubt. I need to check out that Ambient series at some point myself.

George

Night Vision

Mirror Image

Very cool haul, Conor! That didn't take you long to acquire the rest of Eno's Ambient series. ;)

Thread duty -

Just bought (I'm sure this will make Greg take notice):

Bought these via Amazon and both include the 'Auto-Rip' feature. The Heritage edition I bought is the Deluxe Edition with a bonus 5.1 surround mix of the album on DVD.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I'm a big Sonic Youth collector (one of my favorite Alternative Rock bands) and these are my three favorite SY albums, so I'm anxious to hear how they sound remastered and the extra goodies will be a nice bonus. 8)

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2014, 09:03:48 PM
Just bought:

I'm a big Sonic Youth collector (one of my favorite Alternative Rock bands) and these are my three favorite SY albums, so I'm anxious to hear how they sound remastered and the extra goodies will be a nice bonus. 8)

Excellent - these 3 are my favourite Sonic Youth albums too!. Ive owned Daydream Nation for a while but I didn't actually own a copy of Goo and Dirty until recently (I always listened to them at my brothers house so I never bought a copy). If you are playing these albums sometime soon I will be sure to join you :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 30, 2014, 09:07:24 PM
Excellent! - these 3 are my favourite Sonic Youth albums. I need to listen to these CD's and a few others I got from my brother recently! :)

Sonic Youth were a favorite of mine when I was a teenager. I remember seeing the video to Shadow of a Doubt (from EVOL) and just being completely mesmerized from start to finish. Such an unusual band with a completely unique sound of their own. Definitely pioneers in the Alt-Rock movement.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2014, 09:10:21 PM
Sonic Youth were a favorite of mine when I was a teenager. I remember seeing the video to Shadow of a Doubt (from EVOL) and just being completely mesmerized from start to finish. Such an unusual band with a completely unique sound of their own. Definitely pioneers in the Alt-Rock movement.

Agreed - such a great guitar driven band and very influential. I don't see many concerts these days but one of the last I seen was Sonic Youth performing all of the Daydream Nation album in my hometown - needless to say the band were great and very enthusiastically received by everyone there. My SY collection is not complete and consists of the above 3 albums + EVOL and Bad Moon Rising. Im out of the loop with this band and haven't heard any of their later albums at all - I may have to join you if you are playing some of these Discs in future :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 30, 2014, 09:19:02 PM
Agreed - such a great guitar driven band and very influential. I don't see many concerts these days but one of the last I seen was Sonic Youth performing all of the Daydream Nation album in my hometown - needless to say the band were great and very enthusiastically received by everyone there. My SY collection is not complete and consists of the above 3 albums + EVOL and Bad Moon Rising. Im out of the loop with this band and haven't heard any of their later albums at all - I may have to join you if you are playing some of these Discs in future :)

Very cool, Conor. 8) In addition to the afore mentioned albums, I also like EVOL, Washing Machine, and Sister. I need to revisit their discography at some point, but it seems that the prog rock bug has really bitten me hard this time around, so I may hold on their music for awhile. :)

mn dave

Not a purchase!
Because...occasionally...
I am a PIRATE!

George

How convenient it is that I owned none of these Aretha albums. Got the whole set on amazon for only $14. Not bad for 5 albums.

mn dave

Quote from: George on September 03, 2014, 09:10:18 AM

How convenient it is that I owned none of these Aretha albums. Got the whole set on amazon for only $14. Not bad for 5 albums.

Yeah, those sets are mucho cool.

Karl Henning

Dave, there's a lot of Jethro Tull I like a great deal, which may not be up your street.  But if you do enjoy Stand Up, I should recommend:

[asin]B00166BL6Y[/asin]

[asin]B00005NTJK[/asin]

For This Was Jethro Tull, the monaural mix is the ticket, which I think is available only on that two-fer (overall, a reissued album I really dig)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on September 03, 2014, 10:02:59 AM
Dave, there's a lot of Jethro Tull I like a great deal, which may not be up your street.  But if you do enjoy Stand Up, I should recommend:

[asin]B00166BL6Y[/asin]

[asin]B00005NTJK[/asin]

For This Was Jethro Tull, the monaural mix is the ticket, which I think is available only on that two-fer (overall, a reissued album I really dig)

Thanks, Karl! I will keep this info in mind.