Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 05, 2014, 03:01:54 PM
I have the California CD.  There is also this,  and a few other issues listed on Amazon using the key words Bill Evans Village Vanguard, so you may want to explore. I am posting this one because I have seen it at Barnes and Noble.

I have been tempted buy that one.  Not due to the sound of the one I posted, but because someone at Jazz Masters thought it would be a good idea to put take 1's and 2's back to back on my cd....along with other Jazz Master cds.   Annoying when you pop it in the player and want to roam a bit.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Night Vision

^^Thanks for the recommendations Bogey and Jeffrey - I will check them out! :)

Bogey

Quote from: Conor71 on September 05, 2014, 03:23:06 PM
^^Thanks for the recommendations Bogey and Jeffrey - I will check them out! :)

Bottom line for Evans stuff is I buy anything from pre-70's.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Night Vision

Quote from: Bogey on September 05, 2014, 03:27:39 PM
Bottom line for Evans stuff is I buy anything from pre-70's.

Thanks! - Bill Evans has a pretty large discography so its hard to know where to go next. What happened to him after the 70's? Did he change his style/loose his technique?  :o

Night Vision

Thanks again for the recommendations all - I only wanted to buy 1 recording today and I thought the one Jeffrey posted was the most appealing. I may get the others at some stage too. All the albums were available to download which was good :):

George

Quote from: Conor71 on September 05, 2014, 04:04:47 PM
Thanks again for the recommendations all - I only wanted to buy 1 recording today and I thought the one Jeffrey posted was the most appealing. I may get the others at some stage too. All the albums were available to download which was good :):

You already own a lot of that set (the Sunday Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby albums are in there) and frankly, the sound is better on the earlier issues of the already released material.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Quote from: George on September 05, 2014, 04:15:52 PM
You already own a lot of that set (the Sunday Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby albums are in there) and frankly, the sound is better on the earlier issues of the already released material.

I found this info from a review on another site:

Quotethere is only one "new" take on this 3 cd box set. it was rejected for technical reasons. it's the first take of gloria's step. the recording cuts out for several seconds.

if you have the CDs "Waltz for Debby" and "Sunday At the Village Vangaurd," they contain all the other alternate takes on the new box.

Hopefully you still have time to cancel your order, Conor.

Night Vision

Quote from: George on September 05, 2014, 04:15:52 PM

Oh shit, haha I should have checked the contents more thoroughly - I thought there might be some overlap with the single Village Vanguard disc but I didn't know about it containing Waltz for Debby too (I still haven't listened to that one yet). Until last week I believe I never accidentally purchased a Disc I already own but now I have done it twice in 1 week!. Perhaps a sign im buying too much - maybe I should give it a rest for a while ;D

Thanks for the heads up George - unfortunately I downloaded the set already so its too late - never mind a lesson learned perhaps :)

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

George

Quote from: Conor71 on September 05, 2014, 04:27:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up George - unfortunately I downloaded the set already so its too late - never mind a lesson learned perhaps :)

I guess it saves you some ripping, right? Plus, you do get those two extra tracks. 

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I haven't heard Gish in years, so I'm pretty excited about owning the Deluxe set of it. Next stop, Pisces Iscariot - Deluxe Edition. 8) But I might wait awhile on this one as I've got too many irons in the fire right now.

Night Vision

Quote from: George on September 06, 2014, 06:18:11 AM
I guess it saves you some ripping, right? Plus, you do get those two extra tracks.

;D

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2014, 06:22:14 AM
Just bought:

I haven't heard Gish in years, so I'm pretty excited about owning the Deluxe set of it. Next stop, Pisces Iscariot - Deluxe Edition. 8) But I might wait awhile on this one as I've got too many irons in the fire right now.

Excellent! - I hope you enjoy this one its great. The PI deluxe is awesome too (I own the digital deluxe set of that one) :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on September 06, 2014, 01:51:16 PM
Excellent! - I hope you enjoy this one its great. The PI deluxe is awesome too (I own the digital deluxe set of that one) :)

Thanks, Conor. You buying those Smashing Pumpkins Deluxe sets made me quite jealous, so I'm following the leader here. ;) But, you're right, the Pumpkins are a great band with a unique sound-world. Look forward to getting reacquainted with them.

Thread duty:

I went to Barnes & Noble (and Best Buy) and stocked up on some recordings for either $5 or $7, so here's the outcome of this CDCDCD outbreak -

Bought these from either eBay or Amazon:

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2014, 03:10:57 PM
Thanks, Conor. You buying those Smashing Pumpkins Deluxe sets made me quite jealous, so I'm following the leader here. ;) But, you're right, the Pumpkins are a great band with a unique sound-world. Look forward to getting reacquainted with them.

Thread duty:

I went to Barnes & Noble (and Best Buy) and stocked up on some recordings for either $5 or $7, so here's the outcome of this CDCDCD outbreak -

Bought these from either eBay or Amazon:

Edit: Corrected mistake:

Great haul MI! - I got some of these recently too. I really likes the Dire Straits albums Brothers in Arms, Love over Gold and Making Movies (except the track Les Girls, what a stinker! :D). I just received the Joni Mitchell box-set last week and have listened to a few tracks off a couple of the albums -  I will be sure to join you if you are listening to these. I don't have any of the other albums you posted but they certainly look good!. I love the Elton John song rocket-man and have been interested in getting some of his earlier recordings for a while - I will be following your opinion of the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road with interest knowing that I share many of your tastes in music :).
Its great that you were able to get so many great records cheap at a B&M outlet - sadly we don't have any good B&M shops left in Perth now - a trip to browse the selections at the record stores used to be one of my favourite things to do at the weekend :(.

Night Vision

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
I don't see a message, Conor. :)

Oh sorry I think I mixed the new text up with the quote - I will just go back and correct it now.. :)

Mirror Image

Oh wait...I saw it:

QuoteGreat haul MI! - I got some of these recently too. I really likes the Dire Straits albums Brothers in Arms, Love over Gold and Making Movies (except the track Les Girls, what a stinker! ). I just received the Joni Mitchell box-set last week and have listened to a few tracks off a couple of the albums -  I will be sure to join you if you are listening to these. I don't have any of the other albums you posted but they certainly look good!. I love the Elton John song rocket-man and have been interested in getting some of his earlier recordings for a while - I will be following your opinion of the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road with interest knowing that I share many of your tastes in music.

Its great that you were able to get so many great records cheap at a B&M outlet - sadly we don't have any good B&M shops left in Perth now - a trip to browse the selections at the record stores used to be one of my favourite things to do at the weekend.

For me, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is the best album he ever recorded. I do like Rocket Man, but it's not on this album. I would say Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is the most 'progressive' album he's ever done. Funeral For A Friend is the opening song and it's 11 minutes! Lots of synthesizers, great drum work, electric guitar, etc. Really an in-your-face type of sonic explosion. I've heard this album years ago, but, for whatever reason, I have had no interest in exploring the rest of Elton John's output. As for the Joni Mitchell, this is a musician that has been under my radar for years and years but I have never actually acted on buying any of her music until today. I'm glad I did as I just listened to a little bit of Hejira and LOVE IT!!! I love the way she incorporates jazz into her music and you can really tell in those sophisticated harmonies she uses on guitar. Hell, Heija has Jaco Pastorius on it. 8) Anyway, really looking forward to exploring her output. As for the Dire Straits, Mark Knoppler is an amazing guitarist and I've always liked a few of their songs that I heard on the radio, but have never explored their music in depth, so I'm really looking forward to this as well. Anyway...so much to listen to!

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 06, 2014, 03:10:57 PM

Thread duty:

I went to Barnes & Noble (and Best Buy) and stocked up on some recordings for either $5 or $7, so here's the outcome of this CDCDCD outbreak
I thinjk there's 3 of those on that list I don't own.....

Bogey