Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Bought this past Friday just forgot to post it:

I've been eyeing this set since I heard the announcement it was going to get the blu-ray treatment. I looked actually in several stores (Walmart, Best Buy, Target) before I stumbled upon it at a MovieStop store. Needless to say, I snatched it up rather quickly. This was my favorite show when I was a kid. I watched the first episode and it's completely bonkers, but that's why I loved it as a kid and still love it to this day. They don't make kids shows like this anymore. The sheer amount of creativity and design is enough to keep one glued to the television. 8)

Green Destiny

I think with my last haul I bought up pretty much everything I have had my eye on for a while - I will try to give buying new stuff a rest for a while as I have a lot to listen to already. This is my latest buy - a new music player. Its not as flashy as an iPod but it has large storage capacity (you can add 128GB SD-Card) and reportedly good sound. Not too expensive too. I will give it a shot :):

George

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 07, 2015, 01:43:59 PM
I think with my last haul I bought up pretty much everything I have had my eye on for a while - I will try to give buying new stuff a rest for a while as I have a lot to listen to already.

;)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 07, 2015, 01:43:59 PM
I think with my last haul I bought up pretty much everything I have had my eye on for a while - I will try to give buying new stuff a rest for a while as I have a lot to listen to already. This is my latest buy - a new music player. Its not as flashy as an iPod but it has large storage capacity (you can add 128GB SD-Card) and reportedly good sound. Not too expensive too. I will give it a shot :):

What is this, Conor? What company makes it?

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 07, 2015, 06:33:44 PM
What is this, Conor? What company makes it?

Hey MI - this player is a FiiO X1, I just received it this week and am currently loading it with music.
Heres a link to the product on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X1-Portable-Resolution-Lossless-Player/dp/B00NS3MRKC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420718079&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+x1

The company (FiiO) makes a few different Audio players.
I guess Im a bit old-fashioned and prefer the idea of having a dedicated music player rather than using a smartphone (I kind of hate mobile phones :-[)
Im going to listen to the player now and will update this post to let you know how it sounds :)
Edit: I played a few songs on it and it sounds very nice - I was playing around with the controls and now its frozen and wont respond: not a good start. Maybe its defective or something? I will have to wait till the battery runs out and hope it will restart as normal when I charge it up  :-X

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 04, 2015, 10:35:44 AM
They don't make kids shows like this anymore.
I guess they don't make kids like they used to either.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 08, 2015, 03:02:09 AM
Hey MI - this player is a FiiO X1, I just received it this week and am currently loading it with music.
Heres a link to the product on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X1-Portable-Resolution-Lossless-Player/dp/B00NS3MRKC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420718079&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+x1

The company (FiiO) makes a few different Audio players.
I guess Im a bit old-fashioned and prefer the idea of having a dedicated music player rather than using a smartphone (I kind of hate mobile phones :-[)
Im going to listen to the player now and will update this post to let you know how it sounds :)
Edit: I played a few songs on it and it sounds very nice - I was playing around with the controls and now its frozen and wont respond: not a good start. Maybe its defective or something? I will have to wait till the battery runs out and hope it will restart as normal when I charge it up  :-X

Thanks for the feedback, Conor. I hope you resolve the problems you're having with it. It's a never a good sign that you're having problems with something from the start. :-\ How do you load music up on it? Through iTunes or a program like iTunes?

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on January 08, 2015, 04:11:04 AM
I guess they don't make kids like they used to either.

That's true as well. :)

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2015, 02:43:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Conor. I hope you resolve the problems you're having with it. It's a never a good sign that you're having problems with something from the start. :-\ How do you load music up on it? Through iTunes or a program like iTunes?

Hey MI, my FiiO is working well now and I am 50% of the way through loading it with music - it only stopped working before because I was messing around with it and pressed all the buttons at once! :D.
Its pretty easy to load it with music - I just located my iTunes files and drag and dropped them into the FiiO's directory. The copy speed isn't particularly fast but its a straightforward process.
I do think the sound on the FiiO is very nice - it will play all kinds of MP3 & lossless files without any problem too. Theres a model that takes 2 SD cards so you can have up to 256GB of storage if you want :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 09, 2015, 03:03:12 PM
Hey MI, my FiiO is working well now and I am 50% of the way through loading it with music - it only stopped working before because I was messing around with it and pressed all the buttons at once! :D.
Its pretty easy to load it with music - I just located my iTunes files and drag and dropped them into the FiiO's directory. The copy speed isn't particularly fast but its a straightforward process.
I do think the sound on the FiiO is very nice - it will play all kinds of MP3 & lossless files without any problem too. Theres a model that takes 2 SD cards so you can have up to 256GB of storage if you want :)

Very nice, Conor. I'm glad you got everything working. It seems Sony's new model of their Walkman will be along the same lines (esp. in regard to being able to use SD cards). Here's an article about it if you're interested:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493145/new-sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015

The only thing that's unattractive about this new Walkman is the price. :(

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2015, 03:07:58 PM
Very nice, Conor. I'm glad you got everything working. It seems Sony's new model of their Walkman will be along the same lines (esp. in regard to being able to use SD cards). Here's an article about it if you're interested:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/7493145/new-sony-walkman-zx2-ces-2015

The only thing that's unattractive about this new Walkman is the price. :(

Thanks MI - yes that new Walkman looks very nice indeed!. Kind of expensive for sure (I read on another site that it will be $1200 or something like that). I did find an earlier model Walkman for sale today at about $400 or so and it has most of the same features. Its good that even though Apple isn't making iPod classics anymore that other companies have stepped in to meet the demand for large-storage music players. I only hope we can continue to buy music players like these well into the future :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 09, 2015, 03:14:11 PM
Thanks MI - yes that new Walkman looks very nice indeed!. Kind of expensive for sure (I read on another site that it will be $1200 or something like that). I did find an earlier model Walkman for sale today at about $400 or so and it has most of the same features. Its good that even though Apple isn't making iPod classics anymore that other companies have stepped in to meet the demand for large-storage music players. I only hope we can continue to buy music players like these well into the future :)

Apple = one of the worst tech companies in the world. :) One thing about it is Apple are completely nuts for discontinuing their greatest iPod. If anything, Apple should come out with a new iPod that holds SD cards like this FiiO and Sony. I think they've made some good products (my dad loves his iMac), but, ultimately, they know next to nothing about customer service and how to maintain customer loyalty. I mean look at their latest flop the iPhone 6. Almost everyone I've encountered has some kind of android phone now and one reason, and I think it's an important one, is the customization that you're allowed to do on say the Samsung Galaxy for example. I have a Samsung Note 2 (an old model as they're already out with a Note 4), but I absolutely love it. I don't think I could ever go back with an iPhone again. Anyway, they're losing a lot of business by not being able to really keep their finger on the cutting edge.

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2015, 03:26:08 PM
Apple = one of the worst tech companies in the world. :) One thing about it is Apple are completely nuts for discontinuing their greatest iPod. If anything, Apple should come out with a new iPod that holds SD cards like this FiiO and Sony. I think they've made some good products (my dad loves his iMac), but, ultimately, they know next to nothing about customer service and how to maintain customer loyalty. I mean look at their latest flop the iPhone 6. Almost everyone I've encountered has some kind of android phone now and one reason, and I think it's an important one, is the customization that you're allowed to do on say the Samsung Galaxy for example. I have a Samsung Note 2 (an old model as they're already out with a Note 4), but I absolutely love it. I don't think I could ever go back with an iPhone again. Anyway, they're losing a lot of business by not being able to really keep their finger on the cutting edge.

I do think Apple products are kind of cool but admit they have lost me as a customer by discontinuing the iPod Classic >:(. I bought an iPod touch recently too but Im not that enamoured with it - to be honest its just not as simple and functional as a classic. I thought about getting an iPhone in future for music listening but if theres dedicated music players still available I will just go with them :). Another thing - the iPod Touch is not very durable!: I accidentally dropped it not long after getting it and it has a cracked screen already. Its kind of impossible not to drop your phone/music player sometimes. It makes me wary of getting an iPhone if its just going to break too easily (I should mention I did have a case on my iPod touch too when I dropped it which should have protected it from some damage).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Green Destiny on January 09, 2015, 04:18:45 PM
I do think Apple products are kind of cool but admit they have lost me as a customer by discontinuing the iPod Classic >:(. I bought an iPod touch recently too but Im not that enamoured with it - to be honest its just not as simple and functional as a classic. I thought about getting an iPhone in future for music listening but if theres dedicated music players still available I will just go with them :). Another thing - the iPod Touch is not very durable!: I accidentally dropped it not long after getting it and it has a cracked screen already. Its kind of impossible not to drop your phone/music player sometimes. It makes me wary of getting an iPhone if its just going to break too easily (I should mention I did have a case on my iPod touch too when I dropped it which should have protected it from some damage).

I hear you, Conor. You actually made me think of something else that always bugged me about Apple. I remember I had an older iPod Classic that was completely locked down. It would turn on but that's it. Nothing else. I took it to one their Apple stores and went to the alleged 'Genius Bar' which the guy behind the counter said, "There's nothing we can do to fix your old iPod, but we do offer a replacement plan for (insert ridiculous amount of money)." This just pissed me off because it seems their solution is if it's broke, we can't fix it, so just get a new one. What ever happened to making repairs? I looked over his shoulders into the backroom where they had some technicians working with various tools and so forth and I just looked right at this guy, smiled, and walked out. Never went back. They have people to work on things but they can't even try and find out what is wrong with my iPod? Why have any tools? Anyway, their customer service is severely lacking and I think Apple is on their way down. Too many companies are offering their same products but at more affordable prices and you can do more with other company's products.

Bogey

;D

Hipster Claims To Have "Extensive Vinyl Collection" After Purchasing Two Records

A hipster revealed this week that he has acquired an 'extensive vinyl collection' after purchasing his first ever two records from BM Records in Soho, London.

The hipster, who revealed his name to be Charles Edward Eldritch Cassington-Bercow, had travelled into London city centre with his friends when he decided to enter the record shop/lactose free eatery and make a purchase. After buying two records Charles claimed to have had an experience somewhat analogous to an epiphany when he realised that he had become a vinyl collector.

"It was a spur of the moment thing," Charles told us. "Me and my crew all listen to EDM, but the majority of stuff we have are just YouTube rips, none of which are 3.20 minutes long, which as we all know is the standard length of a song for you to be able to play it in a club. But we've never really thought getting a vinyl collection before."

Charles then picked out two records, which he confirmed were both released on atrociously poor dubstep label Circus Records, and preceded towards the counter to buy them. However, it was only when he got home that he realised that he had in fact become a vinyl collector.

"Normally, I don't have enough money to spend on this sort of thing," he continued, "what with the price of slouch jeans, snapback caps, and American basketball jerseys these days."

"But some extra pocket money had come through from my dad's hedge fund investment and I thought I would treat myself," he elaborated. "As soon as I got home, I felt this aura welling up inside of me, as if I had left the domain of uneducated mortals and ascended to a higher plain. I realised that I was no longer one of these digital boys. I realised that I'm now a vinyl collector, a shining beacon who will inspire others to learn the real skill of painstakingly boring people with reasons of why vinyl is better than digital."

Charles subsequently informed us that he intends to spend the coming weeks inviting his friends over to admire his 'collection'. "I'm also going to record a mix", he added. "It's going to feature these four tunes mixed into each other over and over again for an hour. Obviously, I don't have turntables, but I'm going to download them both, mix them on virtual DJ, and then post it alongside a picture of my vinyl. This way, everyone will think it's an all vinyl mix. And that will get me respect and an invite to preen myself in the DJ booth at the next Hospitality."

However, when asked if he was planning on buying any more records, Charles responded uncertainly. "I'm not sure," he told us. "I mean, my collection is already pretty vast and I'm not sure I can afford to buy any more. Plus, space becomes an issue. When you've got such a massive collection like me, finding places to store it all can be difficult. But we'll see."
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bogey on January 10, 2015, 06:30:03 PM
;D

Hipster Claims To Have "Extensive Vinyl Collection" After Purchasing Two Records

:D

Thanks for the story, Bill. Not quite CDCDCD LPLPLP.....yet.....but obviously he's been bitten!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

;D

He beats the hell out of ME...  :D

Admit it, Bill, after you bought your second LP, you felt the same way....  ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Green Destiny

;D

A hipster revealed this week that he has acquired an 'extensive vinyl collection' after purchasing his first ever two records from BM Records in Soho, London.

The hipster, who revealed his name to be Charles Edward Eldritch Cassington-Bercow, had travelled into London city centre with his friends when he decided to enter the record shop/lactose free eatery and make a purchase. After buying two records Charles claimed to have had an experience somewhat analogous to an epiphany when he realised that he had become a vinyl collector.

"It was a spur of the moment thing," Charles told us. "Me and my crew all listen to EDM, but the majority of stuff we have are just YouTube rips, none of which are 3.20 minutes long, which as we all know is the standard length of a song for you to be able to play it in a club. But we've never really thought getting a vinyl collection before."

Charles then picked out two records, which he confirmed were both released on atrociously poor dubstep label Circus Records, and preceded towards the counter to buy them. However, it was only when he got home that he realised that he had in fact become a vinyl collector.

"Normally, I don't have enough money to spend on this sort of thing," he continued, "what with the price of slouch jeans, snapback caps, and American basketball jerseys these days."

"But some extra pocket money had come through from my dad's hedge fund investment and I thought I would treat myself," he elaborated. "As soon as I got home, I felt this aura welling up inside of me, as if I had left the domain of uneducated mortals and ascended to a higher plain. I realised that I was no longer one of these digital boys. I realised that I'm now a vinyl collector, a shining beacon who will inspire others to learn the real skill of painstakingly boring people with reasons of why vinyl is better than digital."

Charles subsequently informed us that he intends to spend the coming weeks inviting his friends over to admire his 'collection'. "I'm also going to record a mix", he added. "It's going to feature these four tunes mixed into each other over and over again for an hour. Obviously, I don't have turntables, but I'm going to download them both, mix them on virtual DJ, and then post it alongside a picture of my vinyl. This way, everyone will think it's an all vinyl mix. And that will get me respect and an invite to preen myself in the DJ booth at the next Hospitality."

However, when asked if he was planning on buying any more records, Charles responded uncertainly. "I'm not sure," he told us. "I mean, my collection is already pretty vast and I'm not sure I can afford to buy any more. Plus, space becomes an issue. When you've got such a massive collection like me, finding places to store it all can be difficult. But we'll see."

Haha, excellent thanks for posting (made me smile as I own 2 vinyls now myself and can claim to have an extensive collection just like the Hipster)  ;D

Cato

Concerning the  "Hipster" above, about whom Bogey sent out an alert... ;)

What can we deduce from this article...if it is not a satire on our present-day 20-somethings? 

Possibilities, possibilties...

1. The "Millenial Generation" (increasingly being called Generation Duh among the folks at the canasta tables) even in England is really pathetic.

2. The poor hipster really needs a shave, or to start  a cough drop company with his brother.

3.  The poor hipster needs a much cooler name than the drippingly arsitocratic moniker he claims to have: either "Butch" or maybe "Chuckie Two-Vinyls" would be my choices for him!  0:)

4. If his daddy has a hedge-fund income, maybe he should work for a living too, and get in on that action, instead of hanging around his basement room with those New Kids on the Block posters and mixing his 2 records for the guys down at the  club.

5. And finally, after reading this ("I'm going to download them both, mix them on virtual DJ, and then post it alongside a picture of my vinyl. This way, everyone will think it's an all vinyl mix. And that will get me respect and an invite to preen myself in the DJ booth at the next Hospitality.") - and assuming that we do NOT have a satire here, since Cato's Rule #1-B About Modern Life is that it is well nigh impossible to distinguish modern life from a satire - one can deduce that the 20-something actually is pathetic, needs to be publicly horse-whipped (with or without a horse), and sent packing off to a monastery to polish the woodwork 20 hours a day, while he meditates on his sins and on what a Life's Purpose should actually involve, after his hands are smacked with a ruler for using "invite" as a NOUN!!!!!!   $:)

Thank you!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)