Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: HIPster on April 28, 2015, 06:31:06 AM
edit - I see that you have this one in your collection already.  What do think of it?  I was really skeptical, but have grown to like it.

I like it too. The last track ("In a Glade") makes me wish she'd done an entire album of Russian folk songs.

Quote from: HIPster on April 28, 2015, 06:31:06 AM
Have you looked into She and Him?  Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward.

I have not but I've heard her sing in episodes of New Girl. I shall investigate.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Another nice gathering. My favorite out of the lot is the Bill Ramal's TV Themes platter. I liken them to gumball prizes when I was a kid, as I'm a sucker for these re-recording albums of TV hits. This one is extra special as someone thought it was a good idea to use an organ for the Bonanza theme.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Henk

Quote from: MN Dave on April 23, 2015, 03:31:55 PM
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
[asin]B0000AJ5SR[/asin]

I have that set. I don't really like Parker though. Rather depressive stuff.

Though I enjoyed this one in my teenage years. Very good sound.
[asin]B00000DB0X[/asin]
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

ZauberdrachenNr.7

If you like you some Bacharach (remember, if this helps, he was Milhaud's student) and Jazz, I think you might enjoy this "tribute" album as much as I do.  I confess I don't much like "Tribute Albums," generally; to me, they tend to fête the cover musicians more than the orig. artist.  But this one 1.) is not so much a 'tribute', since most of the work recorded was done in the 1960s (surprisingly, it sounds brilliantly fresh!); and 2.) most of the cuts, while faithfully preserving something of the orig. Bacharach/David material, casts new, often interesting light on it.  My wife, who likes to make a point of "not liking Jazz," loves this.  She likes it! She likes it!

[asin]B00020HDOE[/asin]

George

After hearing her on the Atlantic R&B box, I had to have more!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jubal Slate

Quote from: George on May 03, 2015, 11:34:22 AM

After hearing her on the Atlantic R&B box, I had to have more!

Yep

Green Destiny

Bought a few new albums today :):

Flying Lotus - You're Dead
Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
Aphex Twin - Computer controlled acoustic Instuments: Part 2
Caribou - Our Love

Green Destiny

2 more albums today:

[asin]B0007YH6BA[/asin]

[asin]B00177Z58M[/asin]

Green Destiny

Continued with adding to my Electronica collection today :):

[asin]B00369K2SW[/asin]

[asin]B000TJAQLU[/asin]

[asin]B001VB94XQ[/asin]

Mirror Image

Bought some Harold Budd tonight:

Green Destiny

Latest :):

[asin]B00GKP70L6[/asin]

[asin]B007JU5HSO[/asin]

[asin]B002LCOQTQ[/asin]

EigenUser

Finally bought this book (but I forgot to buy it through GMG -- sorry!), after reading many convincing things about it on reddit.
[asin]0982522738[/asin]
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Artem

Aren you getting into fitness/weight lifting?

EigenUser

Quote from: Artem on May 17, 2015, 06:15:15 PM
Aren you getting into fitness/weight lifting?
Yup. I need something with nice diagrams/pictures. I read a short sample on amazon.com and it almost looked like it could be one of my engineering textbooks (talking about moments, lever arms, etc.). So it seems perfect for me. Maybe I'll even take it to the gym sometimes to double-check form (though, that could look kind of nerdy :D).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Mirror Image

Just bought for $220 brand new in the box, Sennheiser HD 600s:

HIPster

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2015, 06:19:22 AM
Just bought for $220 brand new in the box, Sennheiser HD 600s:

MI, congrats!  Look forward to your review(s) of these.  Hope you enjoy them immensely.   :)

What are your thoughts on that headphone amp you posted a pic of a while back?  Looks like a true bargain.  Thanks.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: HIPster on May 18, 2015, 08:31:32 AM
MI, congrats!  Look forward to your review(s) of these.  Hope you enjoy them immensely.   :)

What are your thoughts on that headphone amp you posted a pic of a while back?  Looks like a true bargain.  Thanks.

Thanks a lot, HIPster. They certainly received many good reviews. That headphone amplifier (the SMSL sAp II) is outstanding. Incredibly clean --- remarkable clarity. Definitely a step-up from the Audio-Technica amplifier I had previously.

Green Destiny

Latest purchases (the ELP one is the 2CD+DVD set whose release was delayed for so long):

[asin]B00M8NMN3E[/asin]

[asin]B00KWP6OIA[/asin]

Green Destiny

Loved this movie (seen it twice already :)) so a mandatory purchase on DVD:

[asin]B00QKS1XV6[/asin]