Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 24, 2015, 12:03:48 AM
I just got these ones:

Theyre pretty good :)

Two of favorite my Hackett albums. Please Don't Touch is a game of two halves. The first half of the album isn't up to par with his usual excellence while the second half is much, much better. Defector, the predecessor of Spectral Mornings, is also very good. The 80s were a weak period in general as his commercial flops like Cured demonstrated. Things start picking up again in the 90s with Guitar Noir and later with To Watch The Storms and Darktown. My favorite late Hackett album is Beyond The Shrouded Horizon, which I highly recommend. I would actually suggest making it one of your next purchases. It's THAT good. 8)

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 24, 2015, 06:30:14 AM
Two of favorite my Hackett albums. Please Don't Touch is a game of two halves. The first half of the album isn't up to par with his usual excellence while the second half is much, much better. Defector, the predecessor of Spectral Mornings, is also very good. The 80s were a weak period in general as his commercial flops like Cured demonstrated. Things start picking up again in the 90s with Guitar Noir and later with To Watch The Storms and Darktown. My favorite late Hackett album is Beyond The Shrouded Horizon, which I highly recommend. I would actually suggest making it one of your next purchases. It's THAT good. 8)

Thanks MI - I changed my mind about buying the box-set and decided to just get Defector and Please don't touch instead. I might buy the Shrouded Horizon at some stage too. I really like Voyage of the Acolyte a lot - I listened to it about 4 times the last 24h :)

Green Destiny

[asin]B00YC26FXI[/asin]

Ive been listening to the 4 Steve Hackett albums in my possession all morning and it made me change my mind (again) and re-order the box-set.
Great music! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 24, 2015, 06:03:52 PM
[asin]B00YC26FXI[/asin]

Ive been listening to the 4 Steve Hackett albums in my possession all morning and it made me change my mind (again) and re-order the box-set.
Great music! :)

Quote from: Conor71 on July 24, 2015, 02:49:06 PM
Thanks MI - I changed my mind about buying the box-set and decided to just get Defector and Please don't touch instead. I might buy the Shrouded Horizon at some stage too. I really like Voyage of the Acolyte a lot - I listened to it about 4 times the last 24h :)

After some mental back and forth, I see you decided to get the box set after all. ;) Like I said, I like the first four Hackett albums and thought he went through a bit of a drought in the 80s, but finally got back to making great music in the 90s. Still, even those albums I don't like that much like Cured or Feedback 86 have some good stuff on them.

Green Destiny

Bought the remasters of these classic Genesis albums:

I must agree with MI now and say the earlier Genesis catalogue is much superior to their later efforts, especially after Hackett left the band.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 25, 2015, 03:10:29 PM
Bought the remasters of these classic Genesis albums:

I must agree with MI now and say the earlier Genesis catalogue is much superior to their later efforts, especially after Hackett left the band.

Pounds the table! I knew you would come around eventually. ;) Yeah, I just prefer their approach to composition pre-...And Then There Were Three where the music feels like they've thrown everything but the kitchen sink into it. One style melds into another one, but they made it work so well. What do you think of these new remixes/remasters? It seems they're still controversial amongst many longtime Genesis fans. I think they sound fantastic.

Green Destiny

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 25, 2015, 06:57:23 PM
Pounds the table! I knew you would come around eventually. ;) Yeah, I just prefer their approach to composition pre-...And Then There Were Three where the music feels like they've thrown everything but the kitchen sink into it. One style melds into another one, but they made it work so well. What do you think of these new remixes/remasters? It seems they're still controversial amongst many longtime Genesis fans. I think they sound fantastic.

Thanks MI - I only have the original mastering of The Lamb to compare to the re-masters and imo the remaster sounds a lot better. I wasn't aware the remasters were controvertial - I bought the original masterings of some Peter Gabriel albums a few months ago and I was very disappointed - I much prefer the re-masterings of these too.
Yeah genesis after from Genesis to revelation and before And then there were Three is certainly their high point. I collected all the later albums last year and have been slowly listening to them - im sorry to say they just don't do it for me anymore :-[.
I am looking forward to hearing these latest purchases and the new Hackett box! :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on July 25, 2015, 07:05:28 PM
Thanks MI - I only have the original mastering of The Lamb to compare to the re-masters and imo the remaster sounds a lot better. I wasn't aware the remasters were controvertial - I bought the original masterings of some Peter Gabriel albums a few months ago and I was very disappointed - I much prefer the re-masterings of these too.
Yeah genesis after from Genesis to revelation and before And then there were Three is certainly their high point. I collected all the later albums last year and have been slowly listening to them - im sorry to say they just don't do it for me anymore :-[.
I am looking forward to hearing these latest purchases and the new Hackett box! :)

The problem with a lot of original Genesis recordings was their low level volume and lack of clarity in the instrumental detail. I will say that I prefer the original A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering only because these albums sounded good to begin with and didn't really need that much of a boost in the frequencies. Trespass through The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway certainly reap the most benefits from these new remixes/remasters. You most definitely have a lot of great listening ahead of you. :)

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Green Destiny

Corrected this oversight from my recent Genesis purchase - I really love this album!:

Green Destiny

I didn't actually know this album had been remastered (quite a long time ago too) so I bought a copy:

George

Quote from: Conor71 on July 30, 2015, 12:39:16 AM
I didn't actually know this album had been remastered (quite a long time ago too) so I bought a copy:

The original mastering sounds a bit better to me.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Papy Oli

2 sets on the way :

Supertramp Live in Paris '79 (CD+ DVD)

[asin]B00WL8TL36[/asin]

Complete Creedence Clearwater Revival - ASIN: B00005OM4K

Olivier

Green Destiny

Quote from: George on July 30, 2015, 03:58:52 AM
The original mastering sounds a bit better to me.

Oh I see :o - I have a copy with the original mastering too so I guess I have that one to fall back on if the new one is no good :)

Green Destiny

As often happens when I download stuff I end up getting some CD's as well :):

The new erato

I had a splurge of interest in the Who this spring and bought the first two of those albums. Quite rewarding they turned out for me.

71 dB

Just released: The Prodigy - The Night Is My Friend EP

[asin]B010MH8L56[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Green Destiny

Quote from: The new erato on July 31, 2015, 04:15:55 AM
I had a splurge of interest in the Who this spring and bought the first two of those albums. Quite rewarding they turned out for me.

Awesome! - I really like Who's Next (I must have listened to it 4 or 5 times since yesterday). I am looking forward to hearing the Who sell Out too.

Thread Duty:
A few more Who albums (this should do for now) :):