Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Conor71 on July 31, 2015, 02:26:00 AM
As often happens when I download stuff I end up getting some CD's as well :):

I got that anniversary release some years ago. It's fantastic!
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Green Destiny

Quote from: Gordo on July 31, 2015, 08:24:25 PM
I got that anniversary release some years ago. It's fantastic!
Excellent! - do you have many Who CD's Gordo? Im interested to know what other peoples favourutes are.

Wakefield

Unexpectedly, I have been two days caught by the second album of Suzanne Vega. It's true, every time I need to skip "Luka" (too much listened to on radio two three decades ago), but the remaining songs are excellent, especially the original version on "Tom's Diner", a cappella.

[asin]B000002GHB[/asin]

She conveys here a sort of deep inner purity.

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Conor71 on July 31, 2015, 08:26:56 PM
Excellent! - do you have many Who CD's Gordo? Im interested to know what other peoples favourutes are.

Not really, Conor. Just Quadrophenia (remastered version), and a compilation album which was my introduction to the band. So I'm mostly an upstart on this matter.  :)
-- Voltaire

Green Destiny

Quote from: Gordo on July 31, 2015, 08:37:39 PM
Not really, Conor. Just Quadrophenia (remastered version), and a compilation album which was my introduction to the band. So I'm mostly an upstart on this matter.  :)

Cool stuff Gordo - I just listened to Quadrophenia for the first time this morning (although I seen the film quite a few times) and thought it very good :)
Im glad youre enjoying Solitude Standing by Suzanne Vega too - I think its probably SV's best (I also have to skip Luka when I play it :laugh:).

Green Destiny

I decided to pre-order the German PG albums already:

[asin]B00WJ24738[/asin]

[asin]B00WL8TLIG[/asin]

I used to own both these albums (just the regular English versions) on Vinyl when I was a kid - they were amongst the first records I ever bought.
I still really love these 2 albums - they are my favourite by PG.
I think owning and playing the Vinyl will bring back some good memories :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on August 01, 2015, 12:25:15 AM
I decided to pre-order the German PG albums already:

[asin]B00WJ24738[/asin]

[asin]B00WL8TLIG[/asin]

I used to own both these albums (just the regular English versions) on Vinyl when I was a kid - they were amongst the first records I ever bought.
I still really love these 2 albums - they are my favourite by PG.
I think owning and playing the Vinyl will bring back some good memories :)

Two of Gabriel's best albums, Conor. I did like Up a lot as well, but this is a later Gabriel album.

George

For Gabriel, I am boring. My faves are Us and So. In that order.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

I liked So (Red Rain has to be one of my favorite Gabriel songs of all-time), but I don't enjoy Us too much.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2015, 06:14:27 AM
Two of Gabriel's best albums, Conor. I did like Up a lot as well, but this is a later Gabriel album.

What are your concerns with late, contemporary stuff an sich, John? Is it a sort of principle?
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2015, 06:35:06 AM
What are your concerns with late, contemporary stuff an sich, John? Is it a sort of principle?

Could you rephrase the question? I'm not understanding what you're asking me, Henk.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2015, 06:38:46 AM
Could you rephrase the question? I'm not understanding what you're asking me, Henk.

It seems you are in principle against late and new music.. What's the matter?
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2015, 06:41:13 AM
It seems you are in principle against late and new music.. What's the matter?

Oh okay, I understand now. ;) No, I wouldn't say I'm against newer music. It's just that I haven't found much that grabs me, especially in today's rock, classical, and jazz worlds. It seems there's something missing in a lot of today's music. Something that I just can't connect to or grasp. It certainly has nothing to do with upholding some kind of principle.

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2015, 06:44:44 AM
Oh okay, I understand now. ;) No, I wouldn't say I'm against newer music. It's just that I haven't found much that grabs me, especially in today's rock, classical, and jazz worlds. It seems there's something missing in a lot of today's music. Something that I just can't connect to or grasp. It certainly has nothing to do with upholding some kind of principle.

Just old-fashioned then I think so?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2015, 07:07:56 AM
Just old-fashioned then I think so?

I wouldn't say I'm 'old-fashioned'. That's a somewhat negative term for me which implies that I'm somehow stuck in some kind of time-warp and can't adapt or accept more modern music. I either connect emotionally/intellectually with a piece of music or I don't. One of my favorite 'newer' jazz trumpeters is Mathias Eick and I'm still hugely influenced by the work of a another jazz trumpeter, Tomasz Stanko. This said, for me, it's about finding music that I connect with and it doesn't matter what time period it was written in if the music moves me.

Mirror Image

Just an example of why I've been enjoying Mathias Eick's music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Amyoob0l0aY

What I like about this particular piece is how Eick builds up the music into what I call a 'final acceptance' where he just lays his heart out bare for all the world to hear. This is good modern music for me. It seems as for developments in later jazz that I'm attracted to that 'ECM sound'. If I were a well-known musician, this would be my label of choice (if I were to be so lucky to sign on with ECM).

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2015, 07:41:38 AM
Just an example of why I've been enjoying Mathias Eick's music:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Amyoob0l0aY

What I like about this particular piece is how Eick builds up the music into what I call a 'final acceptance' where he just lays his heart out bare for all the world to hear. This is good modern music for me. It seems as for developments in later jazz that I'm attracted to that 'ECM sound'. If I were a well-known musician, this would be my label of choice (if I were to be so lucky to sign on with ECM).

I like it, considering buying his newest recording, Midwest.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Henk on August 01, 2015, 08:27:05 AM
I like it, considering buying his newest recording, Midwest.

Yeah, I need to get Midwest as well. Samples sounded quite good.

Mirror Image

Green Destiny

Another couple of albums which I owned already as MP3's (now I will have CD's of them too):