Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Extensive book on Eastern philosophy.

Dutch book by Frits Staal, who worked in Berkeley University during his career. Title: sense and nonsense in philosophy, religion and science.

Staal argued that language has its origin in ritual.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

chadfeldheimer

I'm facing a musical fear with this one.
[asin]B000001ESP[/asin]
Like with most prog I have slight problems with the singing, but I'm less putted off than I thought I would be. Apart from that I think it's quite great. It even rocks.

Mirror Image

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on August 02, 2015, 06:24:44 AM
[asin]B000001ESP[/asin]
Like with most prog I have slight problems with the singing, but I'm less putted off than I thought I would be. Apart from that I think it's quite great. It even rocks.

Rush are one of my favorite prog bands. Their late 70s and 80s period is my favorite. Check out Permanent Waves or Signals next. Signals marks a different direction for the band when keyboards and more concise song structures are in order and the longer pieces are left behind. The last 'epic' they wrote was on Moving Pictures actually: The Camera's Eye.

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 02, 2015, 06:34:40 AM
Rush are one of my favorite prog bands. Their late 70s and 80s period is my favorite. Check out Permanent Waves or Signals next. Signals marks a different direction for the band when keyboards and more concise song structures are in order and the longer pieces are left behind. The last 'epic' they wrote was on Moving Pictures actually: The Camera's Eye.
Thanks for the recommendations. Will watch out for those.

Green Destiny

[asin]B011JG5H1K[/asin]

Just noticed this one today - an auto-buy for me (pre-ordered it) :)

Henk

'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Green Destiny

Pre-ordered this one today (it's a box-set of King Crimson's THRAK album and will be released in October) :):

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Vive la France :

[asin]B000006RIM[/asin]

[asin]B0000257RM[/asin]

Karl Henning

I have (I had) a Memorex portable CD player (manufactured Jan 2014), which I have not ported about, but just kept here at the office for listening to CDs . . . but in the last few weeks, the skipping has been atrocious and relentless.  I decided that this insufferable state of musical affairs was not to be borne, so I had one of these delivered:

[asin]B00BCA40S0[/asin]

So far, lovely, lovely.  (Performance, I mean;  I'm not crazy about the design, but . . . I wasn't asked  8) )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: karlhenning on August 24, 2015, 04:48:29 AM
I have (I had) a Memorex portable CD player (manufactured Jan 2014), which I have not ported about, but just kept here at the office for listening to CDs . . . but in the last few weeks, the skipping has been atrocious and relentless.  I decided that this insufferable state of musical affairs was not to be borne, so I had one of these delivered:

[asin]B00BCA40S0[/asin]

So far, lovely, lovely.  (Performance, I mean;  I'm not crazy about the design, but . . . I wasn't asked  8) )

wow, it kinda looks like a red and black bra ("lalalala life goes on...")

Maestro267

Bought the new album by Spock's Beard, The Oblivion Particle, on its release day a few days ago.

Karl Henning

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on August 24, 2015, 05:00:12 AM
wow, it kinda looks like a red and black bra ("lalalala life goes on...")

I picked it up in the marketplace with a barrow.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on August 02, 2015, 06:24:44 AM
[asin]B000001ESP[/asin]
Like with most prog I have slight problems with the singing...

Geddy Lee's voice...like a budgie being hoovered  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Maestro267

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 24, 2015, 05:11:33 AM
Geddy Lee's voice...like a budgie being hoovered  ;D

Sarge

I think his voice has matured quite wonderfully on their last album, Clockwork Angels. Also, the first time (in a 40-year career) they've done a full-length concept album.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 24, 2015, 11:45:16 AM
I think his voice has matured quite wonderfully on their last album, Clockwork Angels. Also, the first time (in a 40-year career) they've done a full-length concept album.

FWIW, I've always thought the Geddy Lee of Permanent Waves through Hold Your Fire was great. I didn't like it when he was going for his Robert Plant-like vocals in the early albums. I think around Hemispheres is when he finally reached a point of individuality.

Brahmsian

For nostalgic purposes, bought these two.  I remember as a young 5 or 6 year old, listening to my Dad's 8-track recording of this, over and over again.  The image of the Volume II recording is indelibly stamped in my memory.  :D

The Gay Gordons - Rob Gordon and his Scottish Dance Orchestra - Volumes I and II.  Popular Scottish Dance Music.

TheGSMoeller

Guilty Pleasure!  :-[  :P  ;D
And only $7.99 on iTunes.

[asin]B010U1MGT6[/asin]

Henk

Green Destiny

I bought a few things lately but cant remember them all - this is probably the most notable:

[asin] B011MJ8WOI[/asin]

A new album by the group Battles - very much looking forward to this one