Author Topic: Wagner's Warehouse  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: Wagner's Warehouse
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2019, 12:01:54 AM »
Is it all that different from the orginal? I clicked on your link I don't see anything proclaiming remastered, i would have thought they just packed it differently.

This edition was 'de-hissed' in 1997. In the accompanying booklets James Lock, presumably the sound engineer, explains the challenge they had in removing tape-hiss without 'damaging the musical end result'. They lessened the hiss but left in various extraneous noises - creaking chairs etc. How it compares with earlier versions I have no idea.

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2019, 01:43:11 AM »
At the time it was treated as a premium project by Decca - just the recording spanning 8 years - and accordingly their production values were set very high, even by Decca's and the VPO's own standards of the time - especially during the latter part of the project.

I unreservedly recommend the book Ring Resounding by John Culshaw who was the producer (pictured below with Brunhilde Birgit Nilsson) - available in all formats including Kindle but s/h hardcopy can be found very cheaply, with lots of good photos of the sessions.  Also free e-book formats, even as pdf, no excuse not to read it.  It's a blow-by-blow account of the whole recording project from first to last - and is a surprisingly good yarn even if you have no interest in Wagner's music or no interest in the technicalities of recording at that time - which is not Culshaw's main focus actually - his story is more about difficult casting decisions and diplomatically 'letting go' some big names, then continually wrestling with the egos of the various artistes and the combined might of the orchestra who were not above throwing their weight around, almost the only person who seemed to give no trouble was Solti himself.
It's a book I've treasured for 50 years - much longer in fact than I've known the recording or the music.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:48:48 AM by aukhawk »

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2019, 01:50:51 AM »
At the time it was treated as a premium project by Decca - just the recording spanning 8 years - and accordingly their production values were set very high, even by Decca's and the VPO's own standards of the time - especially during the latter part of the project.

I unreservedly recommend the book Ring Resounding by John Culshaw who was the producer (pictured below with Brunhilde Birgit Nilsson) - available in all formats including Kindle but s/h hardcopy can be found very cheaply, with lots of good photos of the sessions.  Also free e-book formats, even as pdf, no excuse not to read it.  It's a blow-by-blow account of the whole recording project from first to last - and is a surprisingly good yarn even if you have no interest in Wagner's music or no interest in the technicalities of recording at that time - which is not Culshaw's main focus actually - his story is more about difficult casting decisions and diplomatically 'letting go' some big names, then continually wrestling with the egos of the various artistes and the combined might of the orchestra who were not above throwing their weight around, almost the only person who seemed to give no trouble was Solti himself.

It is indeed an excellent read, as is Culshaw's autobiography 'Putting the Record Straight'. Reading both you have to bear in mind that there was another massive ego in play - Culshaw's own.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 07:25:08 AM »
Amazing that the Wagner thread is so sparse. All the Wagnering must be going on elsewhere?

Well, I got to see the Ring in Budapest last month -- and Adam Fischer and his Hungarian Ntl. RSO were a marvelous surprise (almost as much as Concerto Budapest with Keller). As was the cast, to the extent it was unknown: Superb! Pictures of Rheingold here: Bayreuth on the Danube: The Budapest Wagner Days. Production Photos from Das Rheingold

...and the first part of my review on ClassicsToday here: A Magnificent Budapest Ring: Prelude and Rheingold

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!

Offline Andy D.

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 05:48:24 AM »
Amazing that the Wagner thread is so sparse. All the Wagnering must be going on elsewhere?

This board is famous for not having a lot of Wagnerians (besides me plus the Wagnerian-named members).

That sounds like a fantastic show and I'm deeply envious.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »
There has been more Wagner-related discussions in the “Opera and Vocal” section of the forum. For instance, there was quite a lot of postings in the past here (although this too has been relatively quiet as of late). There’s also threads dedicated to individual works (e.g. Die Meistersinger or Parsifal).

But yes, we Wagnerians appear to be a small (and select  ;)) group here on GMG.
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 07:10:57 AM »
I've been here for over a decade and I never noticed that infamous lack of Wagnerians, despite being half one myself. Perhaps that speaks to how much they're lacking?  ;D

Offline Andy D.

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
There has been more Wagner-related discussions in the “Opera and Vocal” section of the forum.

(embarrassed) Eewps, now I know I've been coming to the wrong topic all these years lol.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty