Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757)

Started by prémont, September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

The new Hantaï Scarlatti is now out, it seems exceptional. I notice that he has rerecorded K 208 - the first time in Vol 1. The new recording is rather different. Very interesting new ideas about ornamentation.  Does he comment on this anywhere?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

Latest on Forbes.com:
Classical CD Of The Week: Scarlatti Classical And En Suite

As every clever Scarlatti disc or recital should, this one has had some thought put into the selection and arrangement of the sonatas, rather than just willy-nilly lumping together personal favorites. True, the pudding-proof is in the listening, not the admiration of the thought behind it. But it's worth mentioning all the same in this case, especially since on Claire Huangci's disc it works so particularly well: The pianist (whom I heard at the 2011 ARD International Music Competition, where she came second, then still performing as Tori Huang) arranged bundles of sonatas in the form of baroque suites (disc 1) and classical sonatas (disc 2), as laid out by her lucid, well-written, and refreshingly level-headed liner notes:...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/06/02/classical-cd-of-the-week-scarlatti-classical-and-en-suite/

Mandryka

Quote from: jlaurson on June 03, 2016, 11:47:37 AM

Latest on Forbes.com:
Classical CD Of The Week: Scarlatti Classical And En Suite

As every clever Scarlatti disc or recital should, this one has had some thought put into the selection and arrangement of the sonatas, rather than just willy-nilly lumping together personal favorites. True, the pudding-proof is in the listening, not the admiration of the thought behind it. But it's worth mentioning all the same in this case, especially since on Claire Huangci's disc it works so particularly well: The pianist (whom I heard at the 2011 ARD International Music Competition, where she came second, then still performing as Tori Huang) arranged bundles of sonatas in the form of baroque suites (disc 1) and classical sonatas (disc 2), as laid out by her lucid, well-written, and refreshingly level-headed liner notes:...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2016/06/02/classical-cd-of-the-week-scarlatti-classical-and-en-suite/

I can't get to your review but I listened to 206. The way she played it made me think of one of the less violent Chopin nocturnes.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2016, 09:22:18 AM

@ Jens - the link above worked for me - thanks for the review - at the very end, your 'two' recommendations included not only the 2-CD set reviewed but the one below which I ordered (own his first Scarlatti performance).  Dave :)

jlaurson

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 05, 2016, 09:41:24 AM
@ Jens - the link above worked for me - thanks for the review - at the very end, your 'two' recommendations included not only the 2-CD set reviewed but the one below which I ordered (own his first Scarlatti performance).  Dave :)

#morninglistening to shockingly good #Scarlatti, @YevgenySudbin's second go at the happy l... http://ift.tt/1STf9Ok

That IS terrific, isn't it. Lots of internal things going on in the music with Sudbin. Beats even his first Scarlatti disc.

Mandryka

Quote from: jlaurson on June 05, 2016, 10:25:28 PM
That IS terrific, isn't it. Lots of internal things going on in the music with Sudbin. Beats even his first Scarlatti disc.

Is it true that he has enhanced the scores by adding colourful harmonies?

jlaurson

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2016, 12:17:10 AM
Is it true that he has enhanced the scores by adding colourful harmonies?

It certainly *sounds* as though overtones are in play that I don't usually hear. Register shifts, perhaps? I haven't listened with a score... nor even read the entire booklet... but I certainly heard things within the music that I never hear elsewhere. As if little silver-and-paper interior spiral staircases connected one level of the music to the other.

Quote from: Mandryka on June 05, 2016, 10:49:21 AM
like a sewing-machine in love

I aim to please.  ;D

Mandryka

Quote from: jlaurson on June 06, 2016, 12:26:23 AM
It certainly *sounds* as though overtones are in play that I don't usually hear.

Like in Pletnev

Brahmsian

Just recently finished my journey through the complete Scarlatti keyboard sonatas, on the harpsichord, via Scott Ross!  I paced myself throughout about 2.5 months.  :)

And what a fantastic journey it was!  :)  The variety and individuality of the sonatas are remarkable, and I love how Ross employs different harpsichords for some of the recordings.  It was a resounding success for me, especially as an impulse buy.  :D

Disc # 2 probably is my favourite disc, overall.  To this point.  Favourite two sonatas are on Disc 13, K.208 and K.209, I believe.

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 09, 2016, 10:59:18 AM
Just recently finished my journey through the complete Scarlatti keyboard sonatas, on the harpsichord, via Scott Ross!  I paced myself throughout about 2.5 months.  :)

And what a fantastic journey it was!  :)  The variety and individuality of the sonatas are remarkable, and I love how Ross employs different harpsichords for some of the recordings.  It was a resounding success for me, especially as an impulse buy.  :D

Disc # 2 probably is my favourite disc, overall.  To this point.  Favourite two sonatas are on Disc 13, K.208 and K.209, I believe.

Très cool, Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Scion7

so THAT'S where you've been - do you realize how I've had to more or less carry the flag for sonatas, duos, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets and septets and octets and nonets among these ..... these symphonists???

and there you were laying around on the floor contemplating your ceiling tiles with Scarlatti playing in the background ...

>:D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Karl Henning

Quote from: Scion7 on June 09, 2016, 11:16:32 AM
so THAT'S where you've been - do you realize how I've had to more or less carry the flag for sonatas, duos, trios, quartets, quintets, sextets and septets and octets and nonets among these ..... these symphonists???

You're welcome:

http://www.youtube.com/v/qArNT21wun0
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Scion7

not YOU - Chambernut - we posted at the same time   :P
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

28Orot

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 18, 2007, 11:58:57 AM
Recently I acquired the first two vol.s (á 3 CDs) of Belder´s on-going Scarlatti set. This is nothing less than a relevation, because Belder´s interpretations are much more human and reflective than Scott Ross´, and Belder accordingly finds more depth in these works than Scott Ross, who in these ears often is too efficient (read: superficial). Certainly Scarlatti´s Sonatas demand brilliant keyboard technique, but Belder is completely up to Ross in this matter. So I am afraid, that the Belder box is a "must have".

Some say that his sonatas have heavily influenced Beethoven...

Jo498

Quote from: 28Orot on June 09, 2016, 07:59:18 PM
Some say that his sonatas have heavily influenced Beethoven...

Did Beethoven even know Scarlatti's sonatas? Maybe you mean Clementi who was among the most famous virtuosos right before and at Beethoven's time?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Que

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 09, 2016, 10:59:18 AM

Great! :) :) Another fan of this epic set. :D

And it will probably open the door to many other composers like Antonio Soler (a pupil of Scarlatti) and Muzio Clementi, who was influenced by Scarlatti and combined that with the Germanic tradition (Haydn, CPE Bach). As Jo498 pointed out, Clementi is the one who passed the influence on to Van Beethoven.

Also, if you are able cope with Ross' exhillarating and often mind boggling Scarlatti, there is no other harpsichord work that will be beyond your reach...  8)
It would be worthwhile to explore the Italian keyboard tradition that Scarlatti came from.
Recommendations: Lodovico Giustini (Andrea Coen/Brilliant, Azzolino Bernardino Della Ciaja (Attilio Cremonesi/Pan Classics) and Pietro Domenico Paradisi (Enrico Baiano/Glossa).

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Que on June 09, 2016, 11:56:14 PM

Recommendations: Lodovico Giustini (Andrea Coen/Brilliant, Azzolino Bernardino Della Ciaja (Attilio Cremonesi/Pan Classics) and Pietro Domenico Paradisi (Enrico Baiano/Glossa).

Q
Thanks, duly noted. Brilliant cheap on mdt at the moment.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 05, 2016, 09:15:18 AM
That will become his fifth.

I've only just realised why you said this. Does the unnumbered one antedate vol. 1?