Author Topic: Villa-Lobos Anyone?  (Read 45571 times)

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
Re: Villa-Lobos Anyone?
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2020, 06:40:58 AM »
A quick heads-up...the April 2020 issue of BBC Music Magazine has an all-HVL covermount CD, including Uirapuru, The Sewing Women, Two Legends of Nheengatu, Choros 8 & 10, and Symphony No. 9.

I don't know how long it's out for, maybe a couple more weeks.

http://www.classical-music.com/issue/april-2020

Offline MadvillainQuas

« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2020, 02:13:56 AM »
I'm going to put a good word in for the symphonies. They're not particularly groundbreaking, but I thoroughly enjoy them when I listen to them. My favourites are Nos. 2 & 4.

I know for certain that I can vouch for his Symphony No. 10. Some truly awe-inspiring moments combining the best of Brazilian folk-inspired harmonies, alongside some beautiful choir-work. It might be a little out-there, in terms of its subject material, but I find it to feature a lot of the 'vigour' that I love from his key-works, such as the Bachianas Brasileiras no. 3 & 9. Breath-taking in places.

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Jazz, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel, Rossini, Chopin, Metal, Pop
« Reply #362 on: April 22, 2020, 04:11:01 AM »
Villa-Lobos is wonderful imo. The music has some vulnerability about it and is grand at the same time. Been listening to the Neschling box and I leave it near my cd-player for the time being to give it more spins I suppose.
'Become who you want to be.' (Greg)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #363 on: April 22, 2020, 04:13:47 AM »
A quick heads-up...the April 2020 issue of BBC Music Magazine has an all-HVL covermount CD, including Uirapuru, The Sewing Women, Two Legends of Nheengatu, Choros 8 & 10, and Symphony No. 9.

I don't know how long it's out for, maybe a couple more weeks.

http://www.classical-music.com/issue/april-2020
Sounds great but as WH Smith is shut, as far as I'm aware, I don't know how I can get a copy.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #364 on: April 22, 2020, 06:34:20 AM »
Sounds great but as WH Smith is shut, as far as I'm aware, I don't know how I can get a copy.

It's irrelevant as the V-L is no longer the current issue: Some stores are closed, but those with post offices in them and hospital branches remain open.

Quote from: whsmith.co.uk
Given the evolving situation, we have taken the decision to keep our stores open in the specific communities which most need our services at this time. We are currently operating from 140 hospital stores, in order to continue to serve NHS staff with food and drinks, and 204 High Street stores which host a Post Office in order to provide vital banking and postal services to these communities. All other WHSmith stores are now temporarily closed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 06:37:19 AM by Maestro267 »

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #365 on: May 22, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
Ordered volumes 2 and 3 of the BIS Choros series. For those keeping score at home, that's everything except Nos. 5, 7 & 11, which I picked up last autumn.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #366 on: May 22, 2020, 11:48:13 AM »
Ordered volumes 2 and 3 of the BIS Choros series. For those keeping score at home, that's everything except Nos. 5, 7 & 11, which I picked up last autumn.

I wasn’t keeping score, but that’s great. Villa-Lobos is one of my favorites. The Chôros are magnificent works.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #367 on: Today at 09:56:17 AM »
Well, the discs have arrived, but unfortunately one of them (Vol. 3) is going right back, with scratches on the disc affecting play. What's weird is that the disc feels smooth when I run my fingernail over it. I've had discs with worse scratching on them play perfectly well. At least I have volume 2 though.