Author Topic: Villa-Lobos Anyone?  (Read 50411 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Villa-Lobos Anyone?
« Reply #400 on: November 19, 2020, 11:47:09 AM »
Another suggestion would be to check out the Piano Trios, which I became familiar with about two or three years ago thanks to this marvelous recording:

My favorite chamber music combo! Will investigate.

Let me say that V-L’s oeuvre is quite vast, so one of the best things you could is just dive right in. :)

I guess you're right.

How about the piano concertos, another genre I'm a sucker for? I remember one of the Choros being a piano concerto in all but name, and quite Rachmaninovian too.
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #401 on: November 19, 2020, 11:55:43 AM »
My favorite chamber music combo! Will investigate.

I guess you're right.

How about the piano concertos, another genre I'm a sucker for? I remember one of the Choros being a piano concerto in all but name, and quite Rachmaninovian too.

Villa-Lobos' piano concerti aren’t too good, IMHO. They could’ve been so much more, but, IMHO, he had already wrote some of his best work for piano/orchestra in the Chôros and Bachianas Brasileiras series.
Don’t forget your three A’s, folks: Arnie, Alban and Anton!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #402 on: November 19, 2020, 11:57:16 AM »
Villa-Lobos' piano concerti aren’t too good, IMHO.

Why? What's wrong with them?
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #403 on: November 19, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »
Not much activity in this thread unfortunately since my last post, but this seems to be under some people’s radars at the moment:

Promo video for the box set:

I used to prefer the performances from St. Clair of the symphonies on the CPO label until I really started listening to Karabtchevsky’s cycle. The problem with the St. Clair performances now that I’ve had the opportunity to do an evaluation is he’s too controlled in the music. The orchestra used in the St. Clair series, the Stuttgart RSO, are a fine orchestra, but they play this music a bit too precise and they don’t really give into much of the wildness that this music requires. Karabtchevsky, of course, is Brazilian and has the São Paulo Symphony Orchestra at his disposal, which know this music inside out. Karabtchevsky also plays the music with the wild abandon that it needs in order for it to make the kind of impact it needs. I’ve said this before, but I don’t feel Villa-Lobos’ strongest works are his symphonies, but there is enough good music within these works to make them worthwhile. Symphony No. 10, ‘Amerindia’ is sprawling work, but it’s so enthralling. I also felt Symphonies Nos. 4 & 6 were quite memorable. Anyway, if any of you want to get to know these works (and what fan of V-L’s music wouldn’t really), then you should definitely pick up the Karabtchevsky cycle on Naxos, especially now that it’s been boxed up!

Hi John - thanks for the comments on the newer box set of the V-L Symphonies w/ Karabtchevsky - I own the St. Clair box above and have enjoyed; reviews of some of these releases (attached are 3 each of the Symphonies 3/4 & Symphonies 8,9,11) include some comments of the two different recordings - both received comparable comparisons w/ some preference of one over the other.  I also enjoy the São Paulo SO in the Chorus/Brachianas and prefer listening to those works (or V-L other output) than the Symphonies; BUT, this Naxos set is available on Spotify, so will do some comparative listening.  Dave :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #404 on: November 19, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »
Why? What's wrong with them?

I just didn’t find them as interesting or colorful as the afore mentioned works.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #405 on: November 19, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
Hi John - thanks for the comments on the newer box set of the V-L Symphonies w/ Karabtchevsky - I own the St. Clair box above and have enjoyed; reviews of some of these releases (attached are 3 each of the Symphonies 3/4 & Symphonies 8,9,11) include some comments of the two different recordings - both received comparable comparisons w/ some preference of one over the other.  I also enjoy the São Paulo SO in the Chorus/Brachianas and prefer listening to those works (or V-L other output) than the Symphonies; BUT, this Naxos set is available on Spotify, so will do some comparative listening.  Dave :)

Very cool, Dave. 8) Let me tell you ever since I’ve started contributing to this thread, you’ve really been my Villa-Lobos compadre. It’s nice to have one those around here. :) We’re in agreement about the symphonies for sure, although as I mentioned, I don’t feel my time has been wasted exploring his symphonies --- some of them are just better than others, but that’s the way it is with any composer’s oeuvre or so it seems.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:22:33 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #406 on: November 19, 2020, 10:53:02 PM »
So far, I've greatly enjoyed 3 and 4 (especially the slow movements) and 10. Many more to explore!
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #407 on: November 20, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »
So far, I've greatly enjoyed 3 and 4 (especially the slow movements) and 10. Many more to explore!
 :)

8)

Online Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Villa-Lobos and others
« Reply #408 on: November 21, 2020, 07:01:44 AM »
I mean, that might be one of the more fascinating aspects of V-L's career, is how the works that have titles related to past forms seem to be among the more uninspired. As much as I enjoy the symphonies, I do agree that the works that are more "him" lie in cycles such as the Choros and Bachianas Brasileiras. And I also find the numbered piano concertos not among my favourites.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Entartete Musik
« Reply #409 on: November 21, 2020, 08:14:12 AM »
I mean, that might be one of the more fascinating aspects of V-L's career, is how the works that have titles related to past forms seem to be among the more uninspired. As much as I enjoy the symphonies, I do agree that the works that are more "him" lie in cycles such as the Choros and Bachianas Brasileiras. And I also find the numbered piano concertos not among my favourites.

I find Symphony No. 10, ‘Ameríndia’ to be one of his greatest achievements from an orchestral standpoint. In my mind, this work is up there with any of the larger works in the Chôros or Bachianas Brasileiras series. It took me awhile to wrap my mind around this symphony since it’s an hour long, but the Karabtchevsky performance is what solidified the work for me. The other performances I’ve heard like Ben-Dor and St. Clair are rather tame in comparison. As I mentioned, Villa-Lobos needs to be performed with abandon and Karabtchevsky brings it in this department. I also think his SQs are some of his finest works and I don’t find these works short of inspiration at all. In fact, I haven’t heard a lot of V-L that I thought lacked inspiration, but we’re agreed on the piano concerti, although I would like to hear if those performances could be improved upon, but I won’t hold my breath there since it’s been quite some time since that Decca cycle with Ortiz has been issued. This sounds like a job for Naxos. I would also love to have another recording of the Violin Sonatas as the recording on Brilliant Classics is very good, but the recording is way too reverberant. It’d be great if Hyperion would record these works, but it doesn’t look like it’ll happen.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 03:00:14 PM by Mirror Image »