The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahinton

Quote from: Todd on December 06, 2016, 09:18:56 AM

European markets up today as well. 

Perhaps you missed my mention of the more important issue facing Italy that pertains to markets.  Sure, Italy might be able to pull its own version of Brexit, I guess, but that's apparently not on the table right now.
No, I didn't miss it. Italy is indeed not the first country that springs to mind when the possibility of its own version of Brexit might arise (though God help any nation that tries it on in the way that UK has!) - France, Germany, Austria and Netherlands are arguably more likely candidates, especially should their administrations swerve to the extreme right - but it's hardly last on the list either, for there's substantial discontent there and in Eurozone nations in particular that is increasingly threatening to undermine the stability and future of the very EU from which UK is purportedly trying to extricate itself. I would not therefore dismiss entirely the possibility that Italy might find itself caught up in a more widespread EU exit strategy.

Also, one of the fickle aspects of financial markets is that markets is that their success is dependent to some degree on the stability of currencies, for all stocks are valued in these; if EU does fall apart, one such currency will collapse as part of this and that will affect the currencies of other nations that deal with EU. Whilst a global currency collapse is not currently likely, it would again be foolhardy to dismiss such a possibility out of hand.

Todd

Quote from: ahinton on December 06, 2016, 11:05:07 PMWhilst a global currency collapse is not currently likely, it would again be foolhardy to dismiss such a possibility out of hand.

You appear to prefer dealing in extreme possibility arguments and concerns.  I freely and openly confess that I deal with the probable far more than the possible.  All sorts of things are possible but also improbable to the point of irrelevance. 

In the event of a dissolution of the EU - since it is not a state, I'm not sure the word "collapse" applies - there would certainly be turmoil in currency, equity, and debt markets the world over, the US dollar would surge even more, and European countries would have to rely on more traditional forms of diplomacy and trade arrangements.  Not ideal, to be sure, and definitely disruptive, but it may also not be quite the end of the world, either.  What do you reckon the probability of an EU "collapse" is in the next five years?  Ten years?  Twenty years?  This could help establish a good currency trading plan, you see.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

ahinton

Quote from: Todd on December 07, 2016, 08:32:54 AMIn the event of a dissolution of the EU - since it is not a state, I'm not sure the word "collapse" applies
I don't see why.

Quote from: Todd on December 07, 2016, 08:32:54 AMthere would certainly be turmoil in currency, equity, and debt markets the world over, the US dollar would surge even more, and European countries would have to rely on more traditional forms of diplomacy and trade arrangements.  Not ideal, to be sure, and definitely disruptive, but it may also not be quite the end of the world, either.  What do you reckon the probability of an EU "collapse" is in the next five years?  Ten years?  Twenty years?  This could help establish a good currency trading plan, you see.
I do not say that it will collapse, only that it might if extreme right wing governments take over in some of its more important member states. and that reform of it will be less likely should UK's departure therefrom proceed. There's no guarantee that such collapse would result in any permanent surge in the value of the US dollar and, in any case, the state of that currency will likely be affected by relations between US and other nations besides the EU group. There's all to play for right now but no trusting the principal players.

Todd

Todd

Quote from: President Barack ObamaI will not put American boots on the ground in Syria.  [September 10, 2013]

US sending 200 more troops to Syria.

Todd

Karl Henning

I remembered in time to strike the auto-renew on a web subscription.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: sanantonio on December 26, 2016, 06:00:58 AM
The Era of Post-Truth : The UN, Obama and Israel

Big Brother governments will tell us what the real truth is:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/ministry-of-truth-plus-611-billion-for-the-military-in-2017-obama-quietly-signs-the-countering-disinformation-and-propaganda-act-into-law/5564740

U.S. Senators Rob Portman (R-OH) and Chris Murphy (D-CT) today announced that their Countering Disinformation and Propaganda Act – legislation designed to help American allies counter foreign government propaganda from Russia, China, and other nations – has been signed into law as part of the FY 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) Conference Report. The bipartisan bill, which was introduced by Senators Portman and Murphy in March, will improve the ability of the United States to counter foreign propaganda and disinformation from our enemies by establishing an interagency center housed at the State Department to coordinate and synchronize counter-propaganda efforts throughout the U.S. government. To support these efforts, the bill also creates a grant program for NGOs, think tanks, civil society and other experts outside government who are engaged in counter-propaganda related work. This will better leverage existing expertise and empower our allies overseas to defend themselves from foreign manipulation...he US media has indoctrinated the public to assume that any information which is not in compliance with the official government narrative, or dares to criticize the establishment, is also "fake news" and thus falls under the "Russian propaganda" umbrella, the scene is now set for the US government to legally crack down on every media outlet that the government deems to be "foreign propaganda."

https://www.rt.com/news/371552-germany-fake-news-defense-center/

The German government is seeking to create a center of defense against disinformation ahead of next year's elections, in the wake of ongoing "fake news" and "Russian hackers" hysteria generated during the election cycle in the United States.
The Federal Press Office in the Chancellery, which has a staff of over 500 professionals, will take the leading role in establishing the fake news defense center...Earlier, German lawmakers called on new laws and tougher new measures against social media platforms which disseminate fake news. Justice Minister Heiko Maas called on the government to set "legal consequences" for internet giants.

"We expect clear improvements in Facebook's removal practice. The standard must be German law," Maas told Suddeutsche Zeitung. Social Democratic Party parliamentary chairman Thomas Oppermann called for social media outlets to be prosecuted for their role in validating fake news. "If, after the relevant checks, Facebook does not immediately, within 24 hours, delete the offending post then [it] must reckon with severe penalties of up to 500,000 euros," Oppermann told Der Spiegel. Besides being worried about the potential spread of fake news ahead of elections, Berlin, for a number of months, has also voiced concern about the potential involvement of "Russian hackers" in the electoral process.

"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Turner

The fake news problems concerning the American presidential campaigns have already been dealt with in relevant threads here. 

Good basic sources for some simple mapping of the extent of the fake news problem and systematic, state-sponsored Russian production of them in relation to political and military gains in Ukraine and Europe are:

http://www.russialies.com/russias-top-180-lies-about-ukraine/
http://www.stopfake.org/en/news/
http://www.russialies.com/russias-top-240-lies-international-edition/

For in-depth analysis, some of the best writings on the subject are those of Marc Galeotti and Peter Pomerantsev.

Todd

Todd

Quote from: President Barack ObamaAnd I said to Mr. Putin that I'd be prepared to work with him if he is willing to broker with his partners, Mr. Assad and Iran, a political transition -- we can bring the rest of the world community to a brokered solution -- but that a military solution alone, an attempt by Russia and Iran to prop up Assad and try to pacify the population is just going to get them stuck in a quagmire.  And it won't work.  And they will be there for a while if they don't take a different course.  [October 2, 2015]

Barry O, master of strategery.

Turner

A mildly amusing New Year´s joke, that really took place;
the activists even took the time to create the correct typography etc.

Todd

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

5 Quotes From Star Wars That Are Total Lies
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Having grown tired of life, and looking for a non-cocaine method of inducing infarction, I was thrilled to learn that the culinary wizards at Yum! Brands Inc., via their prestige Taco Bell brand, will introduce the Naked Chicken Chalupa, or a standard Taco Bell chalupa served inside a fried chicken shell, in the very near future.  I will open a new front in my war on my arteries.

Todd

First Volkswagen, now Fiat Chrysler and Renault.  Fortunately, that should be it.  No way any other carmakers did the same thing.

Todd

Xi Jinping defends globalization at Davos.  Next, he'll deliver a full-throated defense of free press, uncensored internet, not imprisoning dissidents, free and open sea lanes worldwide, and no capital controls on reserve currencies.

Todd

Vladimir Putin: Russian sex workers are "the best in the world."

Line from Kazakh National Anthem in Borat: "Kazakhstan, prostitutes cleanest in the region, except of course for Turkmenistan's."

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA