The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Six

Apparently murder is legal in the US if you're a cop and the victim is black. What a time to be alive. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/police-shooting-trial-philando-castile.html?_r=0

Spineur

French never ending string of elections is now over with the clear victory for the elected president (Emmanuel Macron).  The right did quite decently in the end and will be his main opposition.  The populist parties did quite badely, in particular the national front which will not be able to for a parlementary group.

Now, we have 5 years of political stability, and it is quite important that our new president succeed in reforming the country and improve economic growth.  For this reason, I wish for him a good health, and good luck.

nodogen

Quote from: The Six on June 16, 2017, 08:52:22 PM
Apparently murder is legal in the US if you're a cop and the victim is black. What a time to be alive. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/us/police-shooting-trial-philando-castile.html?_r=0

You didn't already know this? 😟

nodogen

Quote from: Spineur on June 18, 2017, 10:33:27 AM
French never ending string of elections is now over with the clear victory for the elected president (Emmanuel Macron).  The right did quite decently in the end and will be his main opposition.  The populist parties did quite badely, in particular the national front which will not be able to for a parlementary group.

Now, we have 5 years of political stability, and it is quite important that our new president succeed in reforming the country and improve economic growth.  For this reason, I wish for him a good health, and good luck.

Sounds good all round. I love the irony of a populist party being....uh...unpopular.

Turner

Quote from: Spineur on June 18, 2017, 10:33:27 AM

A very, very interesting development.

Spineur

The reason for the demise of the national front has to do with the political line it adopted under the instigation of F. Philipot. It mixes huge communist inspired entitlment programs with conservative Vichy-style policies which promote the usual xenophobic anti-european ware.  This has led to several key departures.  The dissentions became very loud and heated recently.  I think Philipot who lost his election is going to be evicted.  It is going to be a while before this party can make a credible political offer (which is fine with me).

Spineur

Some very attractive women have been elected deputy at the french national assembly.  Benedicte Peyrol is 24 years old.

In term of look she beats the hell out of Angela Merkel, Hillary Clinton.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Quote from: Spineur on June 19, 2017, 09:40:42 AM
Some very attractive women have been elected deputy at the french national assembly.  Benedicte Peyrol is 24 years old.

In term of look she beats the hell out of Angela Merkel, Hillary Clinton.
This post is so stupid I lost brain cells reading it.

Amazing that there is a successful politician younger than I am, though.

Turner

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2017, 10:39:18 AM
(...)

I guess it was just an Impromptu moment.

Spineur

Quote from: Brian on June 19, 2017, 10:39:18 AM

Amazing that there is a successful politician younger than I am, though.
Lets put it in a different way.  The new parliament has 40% women 60% men.  Not yet 50/50, but a huge improvement.  How many women in US congress ?

Spineur

Not the right thread but I can let this pass

U.S. student Otto Warmbier who was returned from North Korea in coma has died

This is called MURDER

Lets see if Trump let this pass

Todd

Ken B

Karl Henning

"Pitt the Gleam in the Milkman's Eye?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

Looks like Kalanick never learned the Steve Jobs rule: always directly retain a majority stake in your company.  (Steve Jobs didn't until it was too late, either.)  Of course, he probably wouldn't be as wealthy had he retained such a stake, and if the company goes public, any pain and suffering he has endured during these trying times will probably be washed away by a tsunami of cash.

Todd

Turner

"If I were the guy holding the umbrella over Putin and Medvedev ..."

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/877857311208943616