The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christo

Last Friday, in a rambling 30 minutes, president Trump spoke mostly about himself and about some unclear issues that appeared to confuse or distress him. Only after about 15 minutes did he mention, almost accidental and as if he'd forgotten what the theme of his speech was, the emergency that he said he would be declaring. Even then he showed more occupied with other issues. (I listened and was wondering if he'd forgotten completely what it all was about, or would remember; my impression was: he remembered only part of what he was supposed to do).
https://www.youtube.com/v/XU3AbY9E5_8
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ken B

Quote from: Todd on February 23, 2019, 11:16:11 AM
I agree with Dianne Feinstein on something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPo34LCss8
What's remarkable and hilarious is that that video was edited by the activist group behind the stunt to make DiFi look bad. The longer unedited videos make them look even worse. Feinstein does try to reason with them, and offers one an internship.
Children as props is all the rage this year.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Ken B

Canada has just had its biggest political scandal in a generation, and probably longer. Our Prime Minister and his henchman tried to suborn the Attorney General at the behest of a large company with close ties to his party.

The former AG, Jody Wilson-Raybould, testified today. She was devastating. Brava!

Quote of the week:
Quotethe grinning legatee who taints the Prime Minister's office

Here is one link https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/furey-the-unbearable-lightness-of-justin-trudeau

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

What am I reading? Justin Trudeau is in the middle of an ethical crisis, with ministers resigning in protest and widespread calls for his resignation? When Trump and Trudeau stood side by side, we assumed Trump would the one endangered by ethics investigations. Maybe just that the Canadians cling to the quaint and outdated notion of government ethics.

Karl Henning

Heck, I even remember when Republicans seemed to care about ethics
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 04, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
What am I reading? Justin Trudeau is in the middle of an ethical crisis, with ministers resigning in protest and widespread calls for his resignation?

Why wonder? What else could you expect from the guy who unabashedly and unqualifyingly (is this a word?) praised Fidel Castro;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Well, the Finnish prime minister just asked the President for the government to resign, after it was clear to him that, after 4 years of trying to disregard the constitutional and health care committees' requirements for the massive reform bills to make it possible to pass them as laws, the reforms wouldn't happen before the elections - the parliament is soon going on a break before the parliamentary elections on April 14. The government has been very economically liberal, with tax cuts to the wealthy and businesses, and pressuring labor organizations to negotiate for lower salaries, taking holiday pays away from municipal workers (when Finnish economy was suffering from lack of demand because of global economy and the Russia sanctions, it was an amazing idea to redistribute money in the country away from those who spend more..), and attempting to privatize the crap out of the health care and everything else.

The most recent polls for the government parties have been showing a support of 33%. Frankly, this should have happened in 2017 when the second largest party True Finns changed the party leadership, as Soini was stepping down as party chairman while in office as the minister of foreign affairs, leading to a more openly racist party leadership, which the prime minister said he couldn't work with, and this was "solved" by the ministers from the party resigning from the party, and forming a new one with no political future, while staying in the government.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-finland-government/finlands-government-to-resign-after-healthcare-reform-fails-idUSKCN1QP0R6?il=0
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

This article contains some definite information about the Boeing 737 Max issues.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/failed-certification-faa-missed-safety-issues-in-the-737-max-system-implicated-in-the-lion-air-crash/?fbclid=IwAR08vsHS_-dp4elLGqw7b43Lp9xkpRIUMohRvIIFv3gsk_Bln1BO86CdezA

First of all, it was not caused by autopilot, it was caused by the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) which is always on and is supposed to make the plane feel like a conventional 737. The MCAS has the authority to move the horizontal stabilizer (the horizontal fin at the back of the plane) and is based on a single angle of attack sensor. In the safety analysis delivered to the FAA it is specified to have the ability to move the horizontal stabilizer by 0.6 degrees. At the last minute Boeing increased this to 2.5 degrees without notifying the FAA. The full range of the horizontal stabilizer is 6 degrees. When the pilot tries to override the MCAS by flipping a switch and pulling back the stick the MCAS can re-enable itself and reset its adjustment range. So every time the pilot tries to override the MCAS gets a wider range of adjustment and more authority to push the nose down. The Pilots of the Lion air flight tried to disable the MCAS 21 times and it ended up with the horizontal stabilizer pegged at the end of its range, full down.

It seems like if this angle of attack sensor, a little fin sticking out of the side of the plane, fails that's it. The plane and all aboard are lost. It is unrecoverable.
[Actually not quite true. I just read that in a previous Lion Air flight the MCAS system went berserk but there were three pilots on the flight deck instead of two and the extra, off duty, pilot was able to figure out how to disable the MCAS system before the plane hit terrain.]

Oh, and the FAA was rushing approval of the 737 Max because Boeing felt urgency to get it out quickly, to compete with an Airbus aircraft. The FAA had inadequate staffing and offloaded safety analysis to Boeing.

This is what happens when the government abrogates its oversight responsibility.

Now, someone explain to me why the CEO of Boeing isn't guilty of about 350 counts of criminally negligent homicide.

Jo498

Morally he might as well be. (Or one could also claim that some governmental institution that neglected its oversight responsibility is guilty.) Legally, it's usually more complicated. And you should also think about the Boeing stockholders. And the employees. Sometimes one needs to take little risk for profit, employment and the advancement of civilization.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

André

If heads don't roll on that one, I don't know what is needed...  >:(

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Jo498 on March 20, 2019, 10:44:05 AM
Morally he might as well be. (Or one could also claim that some governmental institution that neglected its oversight responsibility is guilty.) Legally, it's usually more complicated. And you should also think about the Boeing stockholders. And the employees. Sometimes one needs to take little risk for profit, employment and the advancement of civilization.

Clearly the person who decided to put the fox in charge of the hen house is culpable, but that doesn't exonerate the fox.

Now I've just read that a warning light that indicates the angle of attack sensors are not working correctly (they don't agree) is an expensive option.

I remember telling people that if I am to have a self-driving car it should be made by Boeing, not Apple. I've revised that opinion.

Ken B

I am reluctant to draw conclusions from an anonymously sourced article, especially this soon, but the red flag if true is the approval given to a "hazardous " warning based on a single sensor, because the rules about dependence on a single source are clear, long-standing, and impossible to miss inadvertently. There would have been a conscious, deliberate decision to ignore a basic safety regulation. It's one thing to have mistaken professional judgment, quite another to flout basic rules.