The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drogulus

Quote from: JBS on November 04, 2019, 07:38:06 PM
There, that's hate speech: a broad generalization belied by actual facts.

I doubt it. Holy books I'm aware of gleefully support the extermination of sinners and unbelievers, with fantasies about past occurrences and future ones authorized by divine power. I hate the way these systems pervert human decency and justify cruelty. As far as religious people go, for the most part they are OK, and they are as much victims as victimizers. I would prefer to end all religious inspired cruelty because I want to end all organized cruelty.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Ken B

Quote from: drogulus on November 04, 2019, 07:55:15 PM
     I doubt it. Holy books I'm aware of gleefully support the extermination of sinners and unbelievers, with fantasies about past occurrences and future ones authorized by divine power. I hate the way these systems pervert human decency and justify cruelty. As far as religious people go, for the most part they are OK, and they are as much victims as victimizers. I would prefer to end all religious inspired cruelty because I want to end all organized cruelty.
This is hate speech. It is of course hatred directed at practitioners of organized cruelty. To the stocks!
I am being facetious but there are places where that post could get you arrested.

drogulus

Quote from: Ken B on November 04, 2019, 08:09:53 PM
This is hate speech. It is of course hatred directed at practitioners of organized cruelty. To the stocks!
I am being facetious but there are places where that post could get you arrested.

I'm too good for this world.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Florestan

There, that's hate speech: a broad generalization belied by actual facts. But I think no one in GMG would declare you have no right to express that idea, however untethered to fact it might be.

Amen, brother!
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SimonNZ

There, that's hate speech: a broad generalization belied by actual facts. But I think no one in GMG would declare you have no right to express that idea, however untethered to fact it might be.

Belied by which actual facts?

drogulus

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 04, 2019, 09:58:50 PM
Belied by which actual facts?

It works like this. A holy book says an awful thing, someone thinks it can't be awful because it's holy, someone else says it's awful anyway, and that's hate speech.

Do the gods love what is good or is the good what the gods love?

Ken B

Belshazzar's Feast might need a rewrite.

Bible Scholars Now Believe Writing On The Wall Actually Said 'Epstein Didn't Kill Himself'
Bible Scholars Now Believe Writing On The Wall Actually Said 'Epstein Didn't Kill Himself'

JBS

Correct link.
https://babylonbee.com/news/hidden-bible-code-reveals-epstein-didnt-kill-himself

Tangential
Rabbinic tradition asserts that the reason Belshazzar's wise men couldn't read the Writing on the wall was because it used a completely new alphabet, the so called Assyrian script now used for Hebrew and Aramaic, in place of the Canaanite script used in Biblical times.  On a very basic level, they could not read the Writing. This is completely unhistorical of course....

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Ken B on November 05, 2019, 06:55:03 PM
Belshazzar's Feast might need a rewrite.

If Epstein didn't kill himself, maybe he is still alive?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2019, 02:35:36 AM
This is a joke, I hope.

As Stalin said, humor is like food, not everyone gets it.

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on November 06, 2019, 02:35:36 AM
This is a joke, I hope.

Babylon Bee is a religion oriented (Catholic, I think, but not sure) version of the Onion.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on November 06, 2019, 06:15:15 AM
Babylon Bee is a religion oriented (Catholic, I think, but not sure) version of the Onion.
Evangelical.

Justin Trudeau can regularly wear blackface and get re elected, but a black man cannot wear Justin Trudeau-face. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=13953

greg

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 04, 2019, 04:35:48 PM
But where do you stand on the issue of Zuckerberg lifting the ban of misinformation and blatant falsehoods in political advertising on Facebook?
I'm not sure, haven't thought about it enough yet to have an opinion.

Anyways, in regards to hate speech, it is basically a crime against the new religion of social justice. Since we don't rule by religion any more, people still need to increase their position in the social hierarchy somehow, and what easier way but to shame others into lowering their position so that the righteous people appear above the non-believers.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

greg

Quote from: drogulus on November 04, 2019, 06:33:26 PM
     People don't need to be told how to negotiate what counts as hate speech. All they do is argue about what it is until they can agree on something they can live with. Usually nobody is completely satisfied, especially people who think there's an objective standard "out there", like the Forms of Plato.
That would be the way to do it but I could imagine it would be hard to settle on any compromise at all in this current political climate.

drogulus

Quote from: greg on November 06, 2019, 10:41:45 AM
I'm not sure, haven't thought about it enough yet to have an opinion.

Anyways, in regards to hate speech, it is basically a crime against the new religion of social justice. Since we don't rule by religion any more, people still need to increase their position in the social hierarchy somehow, and what easier way but to shame others into lowering their position so that the righteous people appear above the non-believers.

Is this a backhanded way of acknowledging that the old religion of social justice had hate speech in it?

What do you think was good about the old rules? Was it allowing more room for people to be disparaged?

I don't entirely embrace the new rules, partly because I'm old and partly because I'm DIY on ethics. Though I'm in a social system, it's not all me and I'm not all it.

Quote from: greg on November 06, 2019, 10:51:34 AM
That would be the way to do it but I could imagine it would be hard to settle on any compromise at all in this current political climate.

Do it for yourself and the people you interact with. I don't attack people for being X-ists in the real world I occasionally visit.

greg

Quote from: drogulus on November 06, 2019, 10:57:04 AM
     Is this a backhanded way of acknowledging that the old religion of social justice had hate speech in it?

What do you think was good about the old rules? Was it allowing more room for people to be disparaged?

I don't entirely embrace the new rules, partly because I'm old and partly because I'm DIY on ethics. Though I'm in a social system, it's not all me and I'm not all it.

Do it for yourself and the people you interact with. I don't attack people for being X-ists in the real world I occasionally visit.
The old version of hate speech would be disrespecting God, while the new version is disrespecting whoever is viewed as oppressed.

I don't think anything is necessarily good about the "old rules"...

I don't normally attack people for saying bad stuff... although it's rare to hear it said seriously. (jokes i probably wouldn't attack).

Ken B

First Roy Moore nearly gets elected to the US senate ... now a convicted child sex offender wins a state senate seat. https://wjla.com/news/local/virginia-lawmaker-jailed-for-teen-sex-scandal-wins-senate-seat

drogulus

Quote from: greg on November 06, 2019, 12:02:09 PM

I don't normally attack people for saying bad stuff... although it's rare to hear it said seriously. (jokes i probably wouldn't attack).

Some fish can change sex when it suits them. They don't have a religion so it's OK.

SimonNZ

T.I. Said He Goes To The Gynecologist With His Daughter Every Year To "Check Her Hymen"
The rapper added, "I will say, as of her 18th birthday, her hymen is still intact."

Seriously.

[...]"T.I. also noted that he was informed the hymen can be broken in ways other than through sexual penetration. "And so then they come and say, 'Well, I just want you to know that there are other ways besides sex that the hymen can be broken like bike riding, athletics, horseback riding, and just other forms of athletic physical activity,'" he said. "So I say, 'Look, Doc, she don't ride no horses, she don't ride no bike, she don't play no sports. Just check the hymen, please, and give me back my results expeditiously.'"[...]