The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spineur

Munich OKTOBERFEST is cancelled

Now you know things are getting serious...

Todd

The End of Grand Strategy

America Must Think Small

Quote from: Daniel W. Drezner, Ronald R. Krebs, and Randall Schweller
...To debate grand strategy is to indulge in navel-gazing while the world burns. So it is time to operate without one...

...The nation's strategic thinkers, however, remain in the early stages of grieving for grand strategy. The raging debate over contending strategic options suggests that many are still in denial. The ire directed at the Trump administration for its lack of strategic thinking implies that many are stuck on anger. We ourselves differ on whether to mourn or to celebrate the demise of grand strategy, but we agree that it is high time we moved on to the final stage of the grieving process: acceptance...

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

SimonNZ

'Sweet City': the Costa Rica suburb that gave citizenship to bees, plants and trees
A suburb of the country's capital is showing how urban planning can be harnessed to benefit both humans and wildlife

""Pollinators were the key," says Edgar Mora, reflecting on the decision to recognise every bee, bat, hummingbird and butterfly as a citizen of Curridabat during his 12-year spell as mayor.

"Pollinators are the consultants of the natural world, supreme reproducers and they don't charge for it. The plan to convert every street into a biocorridor and every neighbourhood into an ecosystem required a relationship with them."

The move to extend citizenship to pollinators, trees and native plants in Curridabat has been crucial to the municipality's transformation from an unremarkable suburb of the Costa Rican capital, San José, into a pioneering haven for urban wildlife.

Now known as "Ciudad Dulce" – Sweet City – Curridabat's urban planning has been reimagined around its non-human inhabitants. Green spaces are treated as infrastructure with accompanying ecosystem services that can be harnessed by local government and offered to residents. Geolocation mapping is used to target reforestation projects at elderly residents and children to ensure they benefit from air pollution removal and the cooling effects that the trees provide. The widespread planting of native species underscores a network of green spaces and biocorridors across the municipality, which are designed to ensure pollinators thrive.[...]

drogulus

As if there wasn't enough tragedy in the world, I have a kidney stone.

Why me? Why can't it be you? That's what I want to know.

There is a 5mm stone on the right side. There's a 3mm stone behind it but I won't count that one.

On the plus side I have some dangerous drugs to keep me occupied, which as is my wont I'll try not to waste on pain.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

They can be excruciatingly painful as they make their way to the exit. I hope you get rid of them without too much pain  ???

greg

Apparently there's a genetic component... never got one despite regularly drinking soda and eating high sodium foods (though that might be affecting my blood pressure)...

Back in high school I knew someone who got them frequently... high school. And he looked healthy.  ???
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

drogulus

Quote from: André on May 06, 2020, 03:32:17 PM
They can be excruciatingly painful as they make their way to the exit.

I was wondering just that, if they could be excruciatingly painful on their way to the exit. Now that I know I feel much better. TYYH

Quote from: greg on May 06, 2020, 03:37:53 PM
Apparently there's a genetic component... never got one despite regularly drinking soda and eating high sodium foods (though that might be affecting my blood pressure)...

Back in high school I knew someone who got them frequently... high school. And he looked healthy.  ???

Do you have a chart for this? Don't let me down, now.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

André

Quote from: drogulus on May 06, 2020, 03:43:53 PM
      I was wondering just that, if they could be excruciatingly painful on their way to the exit. Now that I know I feel much better. TYYH

Sorry, but I felt you ought to know... ::) My mom suffered mightily from them stones. If it goes down in the ureter, 5mm is not negligible. The ureter is not as wide, so it's not gonna go undetected... They can be pulverized by ultrasounds.

greg

Quote from: drogulus on May 06, 2020, 03:43:53 PM
I found this after a quick search, that's all I have, really.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190411172555.htm

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 01, 2020, 05:37:51 PM
'Sweet City': the Costa Rica suburb that gave citizenship to bees, plants and trees
A suburb of the country's capital is showing how urban planning can be harnessed to benefit both humans and wildlife

""Pollinators were the key," says Edgar Mora, reflecting on the decision to recognise every bee, bat, hummingbird and butterfly as a citizen of Curridabat during his 12-year spell as mayor.

"Pollinators are the consultants of the natural world, supreme reproducers and they don't charge for it. The plan to convert every street into a biocorridor and every neighbourhood into an ecosystem required a relationship with them."

The move to extend citizenship to pollinators, trees and native plants in Curridabat has been crucial to the municipality's transformation from an unremarkable suburb of the Costa Rican capital, San José, into a pioneering haven for urban wildlife.

Now known as "Ciudad Dulce" – Sweet City – Curridabat's urban planning has been reimagined around its non-human inhabitants. Green spaces are treated as infrastructure with accompanying ecosystem services that can be harnessed by local government and offered to residents. Geolocation mapping is used to target reforestation projects at elderly residents and children to ensure they benefit from air pollution removal and the cooling effects that the trees provide. The widespread planting of native species underscores a network of green spaces and biocorridors across the municipality, which are designed to ensure pollinators thrive.[...]

Just wait until the bats pass them some bloody virus. Then there will be some grave discrimination against peaceful citizens. ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

drogulus

I'm still a few weeks away from the temptation to buy a new TV. It will probably arrive in stores in June.

My apartment has a smallish living room, so the optimal size for me is 48-50". Some years ago TV makers stopped making small premium quality sets. There is no super TV in my size bracket. They start at 55", too big for my situation. In June that changes.

greg

President of Ghana speech (w/Macron listening):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYk4ZaeVJtw

The guy has a great attitude, very good perspective on things. Can we make him the US president instead of Ghana?  ;D

Todd

Portland Commissioner Chloe Eudaly Faces Major Challenges From A Former Mayor And An Experienced Newcomer

There's no real reason for the few active members of GMG to follow Portland politics, but it is a Democrat dumpster fire.  Disgraced former Mayor Sam Adams - whose career was demolished (?) after it was learned he had a sexual relationship with an underage intern (though not his intern - whew!) - is running for City Council.  The incumbent he faces is a dunce and is basically a single issue politician - rent control - with no understanding of anything.  It's horrible to watch her try to talk policy.  So the creepy Dem actually has good chance.

Then there's Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler.  He once appeared to show promise, but he's a dud:

Mayor Ted Wheeler touts endorsements from Portland Timbers, Commissioner Chloe Eudaly. They say it's not so

All the while, the homeless are taking over more streets downtown in the midst of the Covid crisis.

Fortunately, I live in the 'burbs.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on April 16, 2020, 02:28:36 PM
In Canada it is taxable. Makes it less stimulating  :D.
That doesn't seem right!  May I ask what they are sending the average citizen in Canada?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 01, 2020, 05:37:51 PM

I haven't read the links, but it sounds like they're trying to do good things there!  By the way, did you perchance see my link to an article about the Asian Giant Hornet (also called the "murder hornet") coming into the US via Canada into Washington state?  Scary to think what that might do to our bees.   :(

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2020, 01:23:00 PM
That doesn't seem right!  May I ask what they are sending the average citizen in Canada?

PD

2000$/month for each adult who earned at least 5000$ last year. Students get 1250$ (1750$ if they have dependents). Retirees already receive pension money, so in theory they should be all right.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2020, 01:30:47 PM
I haven't read the links, but it sounds like they're trying to do good things there!  By the way, did you perchance see my link to an article about the Asian Giant Hornet (also called the "murder hornet") coming into the US via Canada into Washington state?  Scary to think what that might do to our bees.   :(

Best,

PD

I read a Guardian article on that. Can't remember how I got there, but thanks if it was via your link. Yes, horrifying.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André on May 10, 2020, 04:09:02 PM
2000$/month for each adult who earned at least 5000$ last year. Students get 1250$ (1750$ if they have dependents). Retirees already receive pension money, so in theory they should be all right.
That's more generous than here. Retirees' (and other people's) accounts have been hit hard by the econmy these days too, so if you are on a schedule (that you cannot legally change in terms of withdrawals), you're possibly hit hard!   As in the overall value of your account has sunk, but you still have to have to take regular withdrawals from it, so one could lose out longterm.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

André

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 10, 2020, 04:39:18 PM
That's more generous than here. Retirees' (and other people's) accounts have been hit hard by the econmy these days too, so if you are on a schedule (that you cannot legally change in terms of withdrawals), you're possibly hit hard!   As in the overall value of your account has sunk, but you still have to have to take regular withdrawals from it, so one could lose out longterm.

PD

Re: the shrinking savings. In theory you're right. It depends what are your sources of income during retirement.

Here we have the Old Age Security, which is about 7000$/year. You must be 65, and it's universal (everybody gets it). If you have no other income (never worked) you are eligible for the OAS Supplement, for a combined amount of 18600$ (24500$ for a couple). Obviously no savings are available if you never worked. OTOH you can inherit and have investments. Income from those (or any other income) reduce the OAS Supplement.

If you worked, you are eligible to receive a pension from the government pension plan. It depends how much you earned and contributed. Contributions are a % of the income earned and are mandatory. The number of years you worked/contributed is an important factor. The maximum pension is 14125$/year at age 65. You are penalized if you draw at age 60 but get more if you wait until 70.

If you worked and contributed to a company pension plan, it can be one of two kinds: defined benefits or defined contributions. In the first case, the company has an obligation to contribute for each of its employees. The employee can contribute or not. Obviously that increases/reduces the pension. It's called defined benefit because you know in advance how much you will get if you work x number of years and earn x amount of $. Employer and employee contributions are pooled in a 'conservative/balanced' fund which pays retirees their defined benefits. Typically government (and its many agencies), cities, banks, utilities and large corporations offer that type of plan. Market fluctuations have no impact on the pension amount a retiree gets.

In the past couple of decades corporations (but not the government) have stopped offering it, because the financial obligations are a liability to the company's balance sheet. What they now offer is a Defined Contribution plan. In this, employees and/or employer contribute a % of the salary toward standard investment options. You choose what pleases you, from aggressive to conservative investments. Time frame before retirement is of the essence. You can change investment options. The idea is that the employer has no obligation to provide a fixed amount to the employee's pension (depends on the investment yields), whereas in return the employee has the potential to see his earnings grow more than in the Defined Benefit plan. Or not. This is where downward market fluctuations can reduce your income.

Any investor knows (or should know) that as you near retirement you should move left on the risk scale. Also, not putting all your eggs in the same basket is of the essence. As a financial planner, I would always urge my clients to exercise caution starting around age 55. When you retire and depend on your investments for a regular income - either through a Defined Contribution plan or through personal savings or a combination of both, you should have a one year reserve of cash (treasury bills for example), which should be enough time-wise to let markets rebound - or make other arrangements if they don't.