The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Seen on Twitter: What do people who announce they're leaving Twitter only to return a few hours later want from us?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2022, 07:00:40 AM
Seen on Twitter: What do people who announce they're leaving Twitter only to return a few hours later want from us?

Higher evaluation of them. Cato the Elder in Roman Empire hated his wife, but he passionately pursued her after she left him and remarried another man. In the ancient Rome, women could divorce men, so they were relatively treated good/fair.

LKB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 10, 2022, 07:00:40 AM

Attention.

Truly adult behavior in the " Information Age " is neither as valued or as frequent as it was some decades ago. It seems many people now need to be " liked " or " friended " in order to feel significant or secure. A cultural weakness, imho.

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Karl Henning

I missed that the erstwhile Cleveland Indians are now the Guardians, instead. I like it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

geralmar

Policing, USA

Police leave handcuffed woman in squad car parked on railroad tracks:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BP9uHYZ4CFw

WARNING:  FOUL  LANGUAGE.

Karl Henning

Quote from: geralmar on October 12, 2022, 09:26:02 AM
Policing, USA

Police leave handcuffed woman in squad car parked on railroad tracks:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BP9uHYZ4CFw

WARNING:  FOUL  LANGUAGE.

Where, for goodness' sake?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

geralmar

Routine news day, U.S.A.

Five dead in mass shooting, North Carolina:

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/13/1128979037/north-carolina-shooting-raleigh

I got beat up online when I asked, rhetorically, why mass shooters in the U.S. are always white.  Politically it's scary black folk we're supposed to worry about.

Update:  shooter is 15.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Todd

Quote from: geralmar on October 14, 2022, 09:24:08 AMI got beat up online when I asked, rhetorically, why mass shooters in the U.S. are almost always white.  Politically it's scary black folk we have to worry about.

Mass shootings are more nuanced and complex than you suggest. 

From Science Direct:

US Mass public shootings since Columbine: victims per incident by race and ethnicity of the perpetrator

Quote from: Patricia I.Jewett, Ronald E.Gangnon, Iris W.Borowsky, Jillian Petersone, Eunice M.Areba, Andrew Kiragu, JamesDensleyA total of 104 mass public shootings since Columbine through summer 2021 were included in our analyses. Of these, 49% were committed by NH White perpetrators, and 19% by NH Black perpetrators (Table 1). Most mass public shootings were carried out by male shooters (96%) aged <40 years (64%). Compared to NH White perpetrators, NH Black perpetrators tended to more often commit mass shooting in workplaces or government buildings (53% versus 20%) compared with all other types of locations

From Everytown Research & Policy (linked on the DOJ website):

Mass Shootings in America

Since 2009, there have been 283 mass shootings in the United States, resulting in 1594 people shot and killed and 1046 people shot and wounded.

This covers 2009 through 2020.  It notes that 61% of mass shootings occurred in private homes, and that domestic violence was involved, directly or indirectly, in 53% of the mass shootings.  The FBI uses the phrase "active shooter situation" to describe the events you appear to be alluding to.

greg

Quote from: geralmar on October 14, 2022, 09:24:08 AM
I got beat up online when I asked, rhetorically, why mass shooters in the U.S. are always white.
Majority of US is white. Might not explain why, fully, but it's a good start.

Quote from: geralmar on October 14, 2022, 09:24:08 AM
Politically it's scary black folk we're supposed to worry about.
Huh? Who says that?
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Todd

greg

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2022, 09:58:47 AM
People on other websites geralmar visits.
Oh, I don't know what sites those are, but a lot of times with politics, it's just one side saying that the other side is saying or implying stuff that they really aren't. Each side needs the opposite side to be villanous as possible- because without any threats, there is less unity, less tribalism, and sadly most people are inherently susceptible to tribalism.

So best to directly engage or observe with the source that is being critiqued, and then process and critique by one's self, rather than take other people's word for it. Perhaps this is related, idk....

Todd

Quote from: greg on October 14, 2022, 10:04:06 AMOh, I don't know what sites those are, but a lot of times with politics, it's just one side saying that the other side is saying or implying stuff that they really aren't.

This is obviously true. 

greg

Quote from: Todd on October 14, 2022, 10:07:25 AM
This is obviously true.
I should probably mention that another aspect is just that the root cause of this may be that there's a lot of people (maybe it is just some evolutionary reason?) that have this certain type of personality that is always on "high alert" status, scanning the environment for dangers or threats. This is what causes them to be so quick to point out threats, implying imaginary stuff, etc., even if it's just actually a big nothing. And it can causes susceptibility to ragebait or fearbait clicks.

It can be beneficial to be this way sometimes, but the problem arises when fears are projected onto whatever they consider the "other." These types of people often get wrapped up in partisan politics, and on a society-wide scale, this is what makes all sorts of wars, racism and genocide possible if things get really, really unhealthy and paranoia starts to run wild. They find safety and confidence in groups to take on the "threats" of the world, making them more tribal.

To be detached from that and observing from afar, it feels weird. To be associated with any political group at all feels weird, considering my aversion to groups and causes in general (having extreme immunity to peer pressure).

The most troublesome thing, though, with the culture war, is how you could be unassociated with any political party and still be a target if you voice any opinion that "sounds bad-" and it could be coming at a completely different angle than what people are expecting, but they just don't get it because they aren't willing to actually bother to listen. If the tribe could interpret it also as "sounding bad," then you could just be a target for their desired social credit.

I actually get the sense that you might be able to relate to that feeling, just a guess. I could be dead wrong, of course.  :D