The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on October 04, 2014, 05:12:52 PM
Cute how they assume the implantees will be men.
And that people will only decide to get one.

Szykneij

Police shooting protest halts St. Louis symphony

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/06/police-shooting-protest-halts-st-louis-symphony/20972965/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D540843

The only thing that bothers me about this is how many empty seats there are in the audience   :(
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Florestan

Quote from: Szykneij on October 06, 2014, 02:27:00 AM
The only thing that bothers me about this is how many empty seats there are in the audience   :(

An all-Stockhausen program, perhaps?

Oh, and I just love this:

Quote from: AOL.comas the musicians were about to start performing a song

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

Fanning the flames of partisanship
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/10/15/amid-fan-scandal-gubernatorial-debate-continued/

I call Scott The Creep and Crist The Sleaze.  Crist was actually a better governor, although the best recent governor was probably Jeb Bush.

At any rate I will be voting  next week for the Libertarian candidate because I can not bring myself to vote for either (early voting starts on Monday)

Todd

Pfft, that Florida stuff looks so mundane.  Here in Oregon, the governor asked the state to review his FIANCEÉ'S (and current First Lady's) activities.  Did I mention that she confessed to marrying an illegal immigrant seventeen years ago so he could get a green card and she could get paid, and she confessed to buying land to grow "medical" marijuana while that was still illegal?  And, just today, an official ethics complaint was filed against both of them, though that was done by a clearly partisan Republican.  Clearly, there's nothing to see here.

Thing is, he'll probably still win and serve an unprecedented fourth term.

kishnevi

It might have been important if the governor was the illegal immigrant...

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 16, 2014, 11:28:50 AMIt might have been important if the governor was the illegal immigrant...

The immigrant and marijuana issues are the fun parts.  The ethics complaints and investigation stem from the fact that his fiancee runs a consultancy that contracts extensively with the State of Oregon.  The former calls into question the governor's judgment in who he associates with; the latter calls into question the propriety of his behavior as governor.  In a recent debate, the Republican challenger, who was going to be squashed like a bug but will now just take a good shellacking, didn't even bring up the entertaining scandals, instead focusing only on the ethics issues.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 16, 2014, 11:01:22 AM
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/10/15/amid-fan-scandal-gubernatorial-debate-continued/

I call Scott The Creep and Crist The Sleaze.  Crist was actually a better governor, although the best recent governor was probably Jeb Bush.

At any rate I will be voting  next week for the Libertarian candidate because I can not bring myself to vote for either (early voting starts on Monday)
I remember not too long ago seeing ads that actually weren't attack ads. But this year I can't recall seeing a single ad that isn't an attack ad.

And in the newspaper, they did a poll asking if a candidate used attack ads, would they vote for that candidate? It was 100% no. So... just proves how much the candidates will listen to the people.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 16, 2014, 11:01:22 AM

You realize most of just think Oh, Florida, right? And then feel the need for a Florida emoticon.  >:D

They both look like such tools. Crist looks smug weasel standing there with his fan, the other guy looks like a petulant fool.

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on October 16, 2014, 12:21:04 PM
You realize most of just think Oh, Florida, right? And then feel the need for a Florida emoticon.  >:D

They both look like such tools. Crist looks smug weasel standing there with his fan, the other guy looks like a petulant fool.
That sums them up pretty well, indeed.

kishnevi

Quote from: Greg on October 16, 2014, 12:17:11 PM
I remember not too long ago seeing ads that actually weren't attack ads. But this year I can't recall seeing a single ad that isn't an attack ad.

And in the newspaper, they did a poll asking if a candidate used attack ads, would they vote for that candidate? It was 100% no. So... just proves how much the candidates will listen to the people.

No, they are paying attention to other research that shows that people say they do not like attack ads, but still vote based on them.  IOW, people in the first poll fibbed.

kishnevi

Quote from: Philo on October 16, 2014, 12:19:48 PM
I get to have an oh-so-wonderful interview with the FBI's JTTF either next week or the week following. And yes, I've engaged a lawyer to ensure the process goes swimmingly.
Good luck.  But JTTF stands for? I lost track of the acronyms long ago.

North Star

Quote from: Philo on October 16, 2014, 02:17:18 PM
Hence the necessity for the lawyer. No way I'm going to this interview without representation.
Have you bought a pressure cooker recently by any chance?  ::)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

torut

Quote from: Philo on October 16, 2014, 03:36:19 PM
Lol. I did ride the train, looking semi like someone from an Arabic nation whilst taking photos of my trip downtown though...
??? Are those photos what you posted in the Photography thread? (between Chicago and Elburn)

torut

Quote from: Philo on October 16, 2014, 05:44:32 PM
Those are some of them. I took a lot of photos, and who knows, that could be completely unrelated.
I often see news that some people just report to the police whatever they think suspicious, and many innocent people get into trouble.
I wish you good luck.