The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibanezmonster

Lol!
Watch as an attractive man gets "harassed" multiple times within the 3 hours of walking through NYC.

#maleburqa

https://www.youtube.com/v/75aX9mlipiY

Todd

Quote from: Greg on October 31, 2014, 04:52:48 PMHow else can you avoid criticism by feminists other than sitting in your room and talking to no one?

Why would anyone care about being criticized by feminists?  I mean in real life, not online life.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on October 30, 2014, 08:10:14 PMThey didn't edit out the whites, there just weren't many. Cultural attitudes differ, and that affects what is seen as rude or intrusive in public.
I have a pretty, white friend who lived in a pretty cruddy area of Manhattan when she was in law school. She always popped down to the Puerto Rican corner store for groceries. She told me a lot of black guys would playfully talk to her - about race, not sex. They'd make up stereotypical white girl names and ask what she was doing in their neighborhood: "Hey Madison, what you doing here?" "Hey Katie, how'd you get on this street?" "Hey Denise," "Hey Lindsay." Since they weren't being aggressive, or sexualizing her, or offering to take her home, she treated it lightly. Finally one of them guessed her name right and she couldn't take it seriously anymore - just laughed and said "yup that IS my name!"

Many of the women closest to me in life are victims of rape or sexual assault. Possibly one-third or one-half. One of them outdoors in daylight, by a random man who followed her on the street.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on November 01, 2014, 08:49:14 AM
I have a pretty, white friend who lived in a pretty cruddy area of Manhattan when she was in law school. She always popped down to the Puerto Rican corner store for groceries. She told me a lot of black guys would playfully talk to her - about race, not sex. They'd make up stereotypical white girl names and ask what she was doing in their neighborhood: "Hey Madison, what you doing here?" "Hey Katie, how'd you get on this street?" "Hey Denise," "Hey Lindsay." Since they weren't being aggressive, or sexualizing her, or offering to take her home, she treated it lightly. Finally one of them guessed her name right and she couldn't take it seriously anymore - just laughed and said "yup that IS my name!"
That's hilarious because that brings back memories of times when I was at school and black guys would make up names for me. I got "Hey, Bob" a lot when I was riding the bus.  ;D Guys that I used to work with would call white people "Bubba" for some reason- of course, in a friendly way, but it's still kinda funny.

Quote from: Todd on November 01, 2014, 08:36:05 AM

Why would anyone care about being criticized by feminists?  I mean in real life, not online life.
Lol, true.

btw, I think people should donate to that last video I posted. Donate money to my address and I just might help cover his therapy expenses and stop the harassment.

kishnevi

BTW, the actress in that original video is apparently receiving death threats.
I suppose she now realizes there is harrassment and then there is stuff to really fear.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on November 01, 2014, 08:49:14 AM
Many of the women closest to me in life are victims of rape or sexual assault. Possibly one-third or one-half. One of them outdoors in daylight, by a random man who followed her on the street.
Just wondering what constitutes "sexual assault?"
I remember once in class in middle school the girl I sat next to touched me inappropriately. Kinda weird which is why I remember it, though nothing traumatic. I'd imagine sexual assault would be quite a bit worse?

Ken B

Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2014, 09:12:36 AM
I remember once in class in middle school the girl I sat next to touched me inappropriately. Kinda weird which is why I remember it, though nothing traumatic. I'd imagine sexual assault would be quite a bit worse?
It should be. The way some people count, it isn't.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Ken B on November 01, 2014, 12:51:15 PM
It should be. The way some people count, it isn't.
If it is considered so, then that would make two counts against me. I actually just remembered another thing that happened during middle school, in the guys' locker room. I won't go into detail, but if you think of rape as a two step process, let's just say he went through with step one after sneaking up behind me, then walked off. I was angry for maybe a day and got over it. Just a guy with a reputation for being terrible and stupid- the type that you could say most likely has been to prison by now, trying to rape other prisoners (or getting raped). Probably had suppressed homosexual urges. I think it's been quite a few years since I even thought about it it's so insignificant to me. I'm not a "victim" or anything, that's just silly.

That also brings to mind some of the funny stuff that happened in middle school/high school. Is a girl you almost never even talk to joking to you that they'll "suck your dick for a dollar" considered sexual harassment? I certainly wouldn't dare to make the equivalent joke to someone unless I really knew them well. I can go and on and here... I mean, if that is, I've been harassed countless times. You just can't be so uptight about silly stuff like this.

Actual rape victims, though, I can understand being disturbed for life- what I'm saying does not apply at all to that. And the rapists deserve jailtime, of course.

Okay, enough blah blah blah for me. I think I'm done...  I just got absorbed in the subject when for a few days I got bombarded with feminist news in the trending sidebar in Facebook and then discovered a discussion of that video in the ffxiah forum.  :-X

Henk

I just had a dream in which I wrote a typo in a message to a girl for which the police wanted me to being locked up in prison (because they say I tried to rape her, where I just wrote a typo).

I have been accused much of bothering girls, with reason however, but always with an accent of having almost raped a girl. Only now, Greg, I really understand that they in fact think I would rape a girl.

It's just my "clumpsiness" (can't find a better word to summarize it, not going into the specific matter). I am full of good will and intentions, I really am innocent. No one said that to me or defended me. I am honestly interested in girls and women more than any men. But it's a handicap. It's an advantage of other men that they are less interested.

A girl with whom I had a twitter-interaction for almost a year, described me as "smart, funny, genuine". I find that nice and to the point.

I'm done with it as well, Greg. My life has taken a different turn. The guy who says that I should have a relationship, that I have to learn how to treat a women can shut his mouth.

However, having taken some distance to this matter and writing this, despite that I was full of good will and intensions, I cannot persist in thinking that I was _completely_ innocent. Some valuebale insights in this matter have risen in me.
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Henk

Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2014, 07:32:13 PM
Okay, enough blah blah blah for me. I think I'm done... 

Greg, do you play the blues these days (or forever in your life)? Isn't it suspective if you don't? I don't have that urge, but I think (at least) with melancholy about the best (not every) girls I have approached. I still like them much.

Or is approaching a girl equal to trying to rape a girl for you (as we are conditioned by others and society)? Maybe you're right in cases like us. ;)

Regarding music I play Whitecaps and Anotherlove by Prince & 3rdeyegirl as regret and consolation and also "U Know", I particulary like this sentence: "When he gone, he know I'm gonna flaunt ya."
'It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.' (Krishnamurti)

Brian

Quote from: Greg on November 01, 2014, 09:12:36 AM
I can tell you what it is in Texas.

§ 22.011. SEXUAL ASSAULT.  (a) A person commits an
offense if the person:
      (1)  intentionally or knowingly:                                             
         (A)  causes the penetration of the anus or sexual
organ of another person by any means, without that person's
consent;
         (B)  causes the penetration of the mouth of
another person by the sexual organ of the actor, without that
person's consent;  or
         (C)  causes the sexual organ of another person,
without that person's consent, to contact or penetrate the mouth,
anus, or sexual organ of another person, including the actor;  or
               (2) [2 is the same as 1, but for cases involving children.]

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 01, 2014, 09:05:08 AM
I suppose she now realizes there is harrassment and then there is stuff to really fear.
Ugh. That's depressing, but it's also not surprising. These protozoa are all too happy to send death threats to any woman who speaks up in public. Don't like what a man says? Argue against him. Don't like what a woman says? Tweet her home address and threaten to rape/murder her.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 01, 2014, 09:05:08 AM

Hmm. This sort of thing always makes me suspicious. What threats, and what evidence? Claims of death threats is a an easy, rather common charge. I once posed a hypothetical of my interlocutor, who favored letting the poor die outside hospitals, catching a deadly disease. He said I was making a death threat.
Actual death threats are crimes. Has there been any actual follow up?

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on November 02, 2014, 05:36:24 AM
Hmm. This sort of thing always makes me suspicious. What threats, and what evidence? Claims of death threats is a an easy, rather common charge. I once posed a hypothetical of my interlocutor, who favored letting the poor die outside hospitals, catching a deadly disease. He said I was making a death threat.
Actual death threats are crimes. Has there been any actual follow up?
WSJ

"But the woman in the video, actress Shoshana B. Roberts, and the anti-harassment organization that sponsored it, Brooklyn-based Hollaback!, have also received a host of death and rape threats, officials say. Those threats, which have been passed along to New York City police, underscore how casually some people view street harassment, experts say.

""We've had so many people reach out saying, 'Thank God, this is exactly what my day looks like,' or people who were shocked, saying, 'I had no idea that this is what women face. I'm so grateful,'" said Emily May, the co-founder and executive director of Hollaback!. "But we've also gotten this tremendous backlash from people saying just horrific things and a number of violent threats."

"The group's office and Ms. Roberts have received about 10 death threats, including some that were sent directly to Ms. Roberts by email."

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/10/29/video-of-woman-harassed-catcalled-on-street-hits-nerve/

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2014, 05:47:11 AM
WSJ

"But the woman in the video, actress Shoshana B. Roberts, and the anti-harassment organization that sponsored it, Brooklyn-based Hollaback!, have also received a host of death and rape threats, officials say. Those threats, which have been passed along to New York City police, underscore how casually some people view street harassment, experts say.

""We've had so many people reach out saying, 'Thank God, this is exactly what my day looks like,' or people who were shocked, saying, 'I had no idea that this is what women face. I'm so grateful,'" said Emily May, the co-founder and executive director of Hollaback!. "But we've also gotten this tremendous backlash from people saying just horrific things and a number of violent threats."

"The group's office and Ms. Roberts have received about 10 death threats, including some that were sent directly to Ms. Roberts by email."

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2014/10/29/video-of-woman-harassed-catcalled-on-street-hits-nerve/

Danke. That is prima facie evidence I agree. It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2014, 05:47:11 AM
WSJ

But was the woman harassed under NY law, and is street "harassment" even a legal thing? 

N.Y. PEN. LAW § 240.26 : NY Code - Section 240.26: Harassment in the second degree

"A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person: 1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or 2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or 3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no legitimate purpose. Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended, the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor management act, as amended. Harassment in the second degree is a violation."

Looks like this young publicity hound victim managed to generate some nice click bait op-eds and generate a fair degree of false outrage.  Might help her career.

The death threats almost certainly were made, as is so often the case, but I question the entire premise of the young lady's supposed social experiment.

Brian

I don't understand your complaint at all, Todd. For one thing, she did have a man on the street flirt with definition (2) by following her and trying to chat her up for an extended period.

But the bigger issue is, you seem to be saying that if the catcalling and sleazebagging is legal, then it's okay and nobody should be upset about it. I'm sure I misunderstand you.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2014, 06:23:41 AMFor one thing, she did have a man on the street flirt with definition (2) by following her and trying to chat her up for an extended period.

So, one man harassed her, meaning he would get a violation if police were around.  That would be sufficient punishment in that type of case.  Full disclosure: I didn't watch the video, but the fact that you can point out one instance of possible second degree harassment tells me what I need to know.

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2014, 06:23:41 AMBut the bigger issue is, you seem to be saying that if the catcalling and sleazebagging is legal, then it's okay and nobody should be upset about it. I'm sure I misunderstand you.

No, you pretty much get the gist of it.  The reality is that catcalling does not even rise to the level of a violation, let alone a misdemeanor or felony.  Society, through the legislative process, has determined that catcalling is not a significant problem that requires scare public resources be used to "protect" the "victims" of such crude behavior, and that the coercive power of the state is better used elsewhere.  The headlines and op-ed titles lighting up the interwebs display a typical false outrage that is tantamount to lazy bitching.  Is this a serious topic?  Really?  Then what legal and policy changes are on offer?  Have the legal and constitutional ramifications of suggested solutions been discussed?  Wait, let me guess, this is a deep-rooted societal issue, one emblematic of the oppressive nature of the patriarchal society in which we live, one that shows just how terrifying it is to be a woman, one that shows how unjust a society is when a woman cannot even walk down the street without thugs accosting her at every corner.

This is a classic tempest in a teapot, and it will be forgotten in a week.  Maybe two.

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on November 02, 2014, 06:23:41 AM
I don't understand your complaint at all, Todd. For one thing, she did have a man on the street flirt with definition (2) by following her and trying to chat her up for an extended period.

But the bigger issue is, you seem to be saying that if the catcalling and sleazebagging is legal, then it's okay and nobody should be upset about it. I'm sure I misunderstand you.

Let me try to explain. Let's set aside the question of vulgarity or manners for a moment. Let's set aside the fact that cultural norms vary. Let's look at the tangible harm. Has anything happened except that she was spoken to without permission? In the video I don't see it. The death threats afterwards are a different matter. But the complaint is that she was spoken to without permission. Does that, Todd asks, really rise to the level where we must take action, enforce penalties, place new restrictions upon society? Clearly not.