The unimportant news thread

Started by Lethevich, March 05, 2008, 07:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philo

"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner

Wanderer

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

knight66

If they are in Canada, can they really call themselves 'Southern' Baptists?

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Ken B

Quote from: knight66 on December 11, 2014, 11:33:41 AM
If they are in Canada, can they really call themselves 'Southern' Baptists?

Mike
You know, the Inuit complain about this attitude all the time.
>:D :laugh:

knight66

Ken, I read that as 'altitude' initially, the further north, the higher up.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Philo

Quote from: Ken B on December 11, 2014, 11:47:50 AM
You know, the Inuit complain about this attitude all the time.
>:D :laugh:

LOL! :laugh:
"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner

Ken B

Quote from: knight66 on December 11, 2014, 11:53:08 AM
Ken, I read that as 'altitude' initially, the further north, the higher up.

Mike
So Karlo tells me!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Quote from: Todd on December 11, 2014, 07:01:59 PM
Smart thinking.

You must have posted in the wrong thread! This is indeed an important message for the climate meeting in Peru!!!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Ken B

Quote from: Moonfish on December 11, 2014, 08:06:26 PM
Dogs in Heaven

This highlights one of the things I really like about the Dark Ages. Fewer absurd ideas.

Philo

Quote from: Todd on December 11, 2014, 07:01:59 PM
Smart thinking.

Such a legit ass apology though:

"Dear all: our apology to the people of Peru http://grnpc.org/IgeHV
We take personal responsibility for actions, willing to face consequences.
Without reservation Greenpeace apologises to the people of Peru for the offence caused by our recent activity laying a message of hope at the site of the historic Nazca Lines. We are deeply sorry for this.
We fully understand that this looks bad. Rather than relay an urgent message of hope and possibility to the leaders gathering at the Lima UN climate talks, we came across as careless and crass.
We have now met with the Peruvian Culture Ministry responsible for the site to offer an apology. We welcome any independent review of the consequences of our activity. We will cooperate fully with any investigation.
We take personal responsibility for actions, and are committed to nonviolence. Greenpeace is accountable for its activities and willing to face fair and reasonable consequences.
I will travel to Lima, this week, to personally apologise for the offence caused by the activity and represent the organisation in any on going discussions with the Peruvian authorities.
Greenpeace will immediately stop any further use of the offending images."

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on December 11, 2014, 08:06:26 PM
Dogs in Heaven
I'm waiting anxiously to hear where the Pope says the mosquitoes do go.   0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: Philo on December 11, 2014, 08:17:43 PM
Such a legit ass apology though:

"Dear all: our apology to the people of Peru http://grnpc.org/IgeHV
We take personal responsibility for actions, willing to face consequences.
Without reservation Greenpeace apologises to the people of Peru for the offence caused by our recent activity laying a message of hope at the site of the historic Nazca Lines. We are deeply sorry for this.
We fully understand that this looks bad. Rather than relay an urgent message of hope and possibility to the leaders gathering at the Lima UN climate talks, we came across as careless and crass.
We have now met with the Peruvian Culture Ministry responsible for the site to offer an apology. We welcome any independent review of the consequences of our activity. We will cooperate fully with any investigation.
We take personal responsibility for actions, and are committed to nonviolence. Greenpeace is accountable for its activities and willing to face fair and reasonable consequences.
I will travel to Lima, this week, to personally apologise for the offence caused by the activity and represent the organisation in any on going discussions with the Peruvian authorities.
Greenpeace will immediately stop any further use of the offending images."
Not so legit ass. This is someone who, by emphasizing his flight, is making sure that while we know he was not involved, is "apologizing" for others. If my son spray paints your house I guess I could apologize, but it wouldn't really be what's required would it?  I haven't seen an apology from the actual people who did this.

Philo

Quote from: Ken B on December 12, 2014, 05:23:58 AM
Not so legit ass. This is someone who, by emphasizing his flight, is making sure that while we know he was not involved, is "apologizing" for others. If my son spray paints your house I guess I could apologize, but it wouldn't really be what's required would it?  I haven't seen an apology from the actual people who did this.

Is he not the head? If so, that's his job, to take the brunt of an action that he sanctioned. Given that charges were brought, I'm assuming the others have been told by their lawyer to remain silent until it all shakes out. So still legit.